> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,530
Threads: 63,084
Welcome to our newest member, photographer1z
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am an advocate of offering them to the over 65 group. With all the muzzy permits left over, I would be tempted to purchase a muzzle loader and give it a whirl if I hadn't drawn. I didn't draw last year, first time ever, so I purchased a leftover Box Elder tag. Never went out during the archery season, went out once during the extended season but didn't carry a weapon. I actually had more fun doing a scouting trip to Box Elder and dreaming about the extended. I drew the archery area west of Loa this year in the Parker Mountains. Looking forward to a scouting trip and spending a few days doing that hunt.
Bucksnbulls08 likes this.
bowdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've been doing dedicated hunter along with multi season elk tags. Keeps me out and about. But I'm no threat to any population.

One only has to accompany a youth hunter a short time to understand the limitations of them exclusively hunting with a bow. The biggest is an adult who will spend the time to make them confident with a bow.

In the grand plan about the only realistic chance they have is in a blind. And that is a pretty limited situation for most.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Do these numbers stay stable or do they vary lot year to year? It seams that if all those Muzzy and Bow tags are left over maybe the allocation numbers need to be changed. Perhaps I am reading a lot of the posts here and on other boards but, Don't the archery groups keep fighting for more opportunity and tags? Seems to me like they have more allocated than the demand they actually have.

Many of these tags would help with point creep, yes/no? Just thinking out loud.
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHunter View Post
Do these numbers stay stable or do they vary lot year to year? It seams that if all those Muzzy and Bow tags are left over maybe the allocation numbers need to be changed. Perhaps I am reading a lot of the posts here and on other boards but, Don't the archery groups keep fighting for more opportunity and tags? Seems to me like they have more allocated than the demand they actually have.

Many of these tags would help with point creep, yes/no? Just thinking out loud.
Virtually all the tags get allocated one way (draw) or the other (leftover). So it really doesn/t matter.

Also, some tags are allocated as they plan on a lower success rate (ie: bow). So it isn't case of taking 10 from the bow pool and sticking 10 in rifle. They might take 10 from archery to make 2 rifle tags.

Finally... if there are tags leftover after the draw for certain units... there is a reason for that.

-DallanC
MadHunter likes this.
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
It would be interesting to know the success rate for the youth archery only tags. My guess is it would be extremely low.
I can tell you it would be very low for the San Juan/Abajo hunt.

Hasn't been the "dorky forky" population hanging along the roads the past few years like there used to be. Kiddos would be putting in the miles for the most part.
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Elk View Post
I can tell you it would be very low for the San Juan/Abajo hunt.

Hasn't been the "dorky forky" population hanging along the roads the past few years like there used to be. Kiddos would be putting in the miles for the most part.
I was down there during the archery hunt 2 years ago and there were a number of decent bucks hanging close to the roads. Not right on them but close enough

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2020, 10:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Once again over 3400 youth archery tags left with most if not all going unused.

I sure wished that they would take a hard look at this allocation and see if something else could be down with the tags.
Why not offer to mentor and take a couple kids hunting? Greatest joy in life comes through service.

I'm glad Utah allots these tags to our future.
OriginalOscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I was down there during the archery hunt 2 years ago and there were a number of decent bucks hanging close to the roads. Not right on them but close enough

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Comes and goes. Didn't see many last year.
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Sometimes things are done to appease certain folks. This is how I see those youth tags. A hypothetical, if you will:

Random complaining Utah hunter (RCUH): "You're taking away all the opportunity. What about recruitment and the youth? Think about the children!!!!"

DWR- "Sir, there are 3,400 youth only archery tags available right now. Please feel free to come and buy one for your child. It is a great time to be out in the forest with your kids teaching them about hunting and conservation, and it's over the counter."

RCUH: "Well, I don't have kids and I don't know how to bow hunt! Put these tags back in the general draw."

DWR: "We understand your frustration, but have plenty of youth opportunities for those in the state that want to utilize them. We love opportunity and believe in giving out as many tags as possible. Have a good day, sir."

Next conversation:

Random complaining Utah Trophy Hunter (RCUTH) "You are giving out too many permits. Why are you killing all the little deer before they have a chance to get big for me?"

DWR: "Sir, we recommended and the Wildlife Board passed a large decrease in general deer permits this year. Don't worry, less people will be hunting out there, just like you want."

RCUTH: "But, what about all these darn youth left over tags! People are going to be overrunning the archery hunts. And then they'll all hunt the extended, and that is MY time to be out looking for dumb big deer to kill!"

DWR: "Oh, don't worry. We don't ever sell that many of those and even the ones we do, they rarely kill anything. That is mostly just to keep RCUH quiet when we cite how many we made available for the youth. Have a good day, sir."
johnnycake likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in