> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,530
Threads: 63,084
Welcome to our newest member, photographer1z
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default General Season Deer. Hunt high or low?

I'll be going on my first general season hunt this fall (Rifle Buck on Monroe, cant wait!) and was curious if anyone had thoughts on how high I should hunt them. It looks like I can hunt from about 6-11k elevation. I was thinking of starting somewhat high (9-10k) and glassing downwards but I am open to suggestions on the unit or this season in general.

I'll be getting off the roads regardless.

Last edited by 180ls1; 05-14-2020 at 05:49 PM.
180ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

What weapon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter50 View Post
What weapon?

Rifle. So late Oct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default General Season Deer. Hunt high or low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
Rifle. So late Oct.

Looks like you updated the original post.

Iím mostly a bowhunter but I have helped friends out on rifle hunts. Iíve seen deer up at 10k in October where I bowhunter them. They could be at any elevation. I think it can be a little weather dependent

Last edited by Bowhunter50; 05-14-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Bowhunter50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2020, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Most of the deer will be off of the top of the Monroe, I'd hunt down low in the cedars or midway.
7MM RELOADED likes this.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've hunted the Monroe more than a few times. A fair number of deer stay low the entire year. (especially if there is alfalfa nearby) If there is snow, they will move off the tops, but if there isn't, they will be low, mid range and high, depending on water and optimal feed. FWIW, the last 2 bucks I harvested on the Monroe were low, but I haven't hunted there since 2006.
Catherder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I should of also said that last year on the muzzy hunt I saw a total of 4 bucks in 7 days and 2 of them were up on the private on the north end. Not good if you ask me. I was hunting north of Langdon Mountain
Old 05-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

The deer are usually low by the time the rifle hunt comes around. If you want a good chance of killing a buck, I strongly suggest you target the public land around the Sand Ledges near Koosharem Reservoir or the low country south of Monroe and above Marysvale. These areas always hold deer and will always hold bucks. I went out a few times last year with a relative who had a tag...each time he passed on small bucks before finally taking a 20-inch 4-point.

Last summer, before the hunts, I saw more bucks on Monroe than what I typically see. The hardest thing about the Monroe is the amount of access and travel the roads get and provide. Typically, by the end of the archery hunt, both the bucks and the elk get harder and harder to find.
wyoming2utah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter50 View Post
Looks like you updated the original post.

Iím mostly a bowhunter but I have helped friends out on rifle hunts. Iíve seen deer up at 10k in October where I bowhunter them. They could be at any elevation. I think it can be a little weather dependent

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I was thinking if its stormy and getting pounded with snow I'll go lower for sure. If its nice out I am really not sure. Nothing wrong with mixing it up and trying different things on a hunt anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
I've hunted the Monroe more than a few times. A fair number of deer stay low the entire year. (especially if there is alfalfa nearby) If there is snow, they will move off the tops, but if there isn't, they will be low, mid range and high, depending on water and optimal feed. FWIW, the last 2 bucks I harvested on the Monroe were low, but I haven't hunted there since 2006.

Ok, thats great input. Looks like I need to have several places in mind and I can just adjust accordingly. Is it worth focusing on any part of the unit as far as north or south? I imagine they will be all over it generally speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I should of also said that last year on the muzzy hunt I saw a total of 4 bucks in 7 days and 2 of them were up on the private on the north end. Not good if you ask me. I was hunting north of Langdon Mountain

I heard some comments that it was going to be a poor year (hence the tag cut). Any reason why you chose the middle of the unit?
Old 05-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming2utah View Post
The deer are usually low by the time the rifle hunt comes around. If you want a good chance of killing a buck, I strongly suggest you target the public land around the Sand Ledges near Koosharem Reservoir or the low country south of Monroe and above Marysvale. These areas always hold deer and will always hold bucks. I went out a few times last year with a relative who had a tag...each time he passed on small bucks before finally taking a 20-inch 4-point.

Last summer, before the hunts, I saw more bucks on Monroe than what I typically see. The hardest thing about the Monroe is the amount of access and travel the roads get and provide. Typically, by the end of the archery hunt, both the bucks and the elk get harder and harder to find.

That's great inlet. I appreciate it! My plan is to get to a point via atv then work a ridge-line away from the roads/hunters. Is there going to be ATV/Hunters everywhere down low or can I get away from people? I am not afraid to hike (probably everyone says that haha).

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in