> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,433
Threads: 64,249
Welcome to our newest member, Neboismyhome
Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #31 (permalink)

I hunted wearing Old Bear WW 2 Camo. Years and Years. Lots a patches lot of Thread They finally just got to the point where they had,, had enough, cremated them and spread the ashes. SAD day. I mean I spent 5.00 for them at the Army and Navy store down town Salt Lake,Went to Preadator Spring Green bout 15 years ago. All this New stuff is like making a House Payment. Also use an old Black and Green wool shirt. from the DI 7.00 bucks. But agree it's mostly bout movement. If you think your moving slow? Slow it down.No Quick hand, Head , or Arm movements.Along with your Camo, U will be fine.. One thing I do believe in is Face Paint. and scent control.
7MM RELOADED likes this.
Old Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Camo is to hunters, what racks of fishing lures are to fishermen. It isn't about catching fish, it is about catching fishermen.
Fishracer and bekins24 like this.
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"
GaryFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryFish View Post
Camo is to hunters, what racks of fishing lures are to fishermen. It isn't about catching fish, it is about catching fishermen.
The other day I decided to clean up my ice fishing gear, consolidate all my jigs into 1 box. Bought me a nice new big box with lots of compartments and started sorting stuff. After a 2nd trip to the store to get an even larger box with even more compartments... I realized I think I have enough jigs to last me ... and my boy, our lifetimes.

-DallanC
GaryFish likes this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
The other day I decided to clean up my ice fishing gear, consolidate all my jigs into 1 box. Bought me a nice new big box with lots of compartments and started sorting stuff. After a 2nd trip to the store to get an even larger box with even more compartments... I realized I think I have enough jigs to last me ... and my boy, our lifetimes.

-DallanC
But do you have any in realtree mossy oak break up, with gore tex carbon liner, and no-sound pocket closures?
Fishracer likes this.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis madden View Post
I invested in Sitka about 3 years ago and this has been my observation since doing so. 1st as mentioned the comfort factor was a plus. I had an experience archery hunting deer and I had just sat down right on a trail to glass. I had a doe and a fawn walk right up and dang near step on me I put my hands up when she was about 5 yards from me to stop her. Another experience archery hunting the Vernon for deer. Sitting against a rock had 3 bucks walk right up about 15 yards from me. They all stopped and turned their heads and looked right at me for about 15 seconds and then turned and walked away. Now, it may have been coincidence and the exact same thing may have happened if I would have been wearing X brand of camo so take what you will from it.
I have had this happen while on a rifle hunt decked out all in hunter orange. More then once.
Fishracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishracer View Post
I have had this happen while on a rifle hunt decked out all in hunter orange. More then once.
Had that happen a couple of times while hiking in tan dockers and an old grey Copper Hills Grizzly Football sweatshirt. Saw the deer coming, and stood on the side of the trail as still as I could and they walked close enough to reach out and touch.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #37 (permalink)

I guess im going to have to pay more attention to my camo. You guys are calling your camo by name brands and patterns. Making me feel like a fool. All i know is some of mine looks like leaves and branches and others look like a bush. I have no idea who made it or what pattern it is. Most bought at walmart, but some coming from sportsmans and cabelas. I wonder if all the bucks and bulls ive harvested over the years feel less like a man because the hunter that shot him was not wearing designer camo. All serious tho, it makes sense to me about deer not seeing red. I have had a number of occasions were animals dont see me while wearing orange. They walk right to you and never know you are there unless you move. I have also been knelt down right in the middle of a heard of elk with camo from head to toe. Less then 3 yards from numerous elk and never knew i was there. Like many have said, movement is more of a factor.
Fishracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
Back to Vanilla's original post...how do these scientist figure out what deer see and don't see? Some kind of Pavlov"s Dog type experiment?
I saw the Outdoor Life colored light experiment but I've also seen articles that discuss the number of rods and cones in a deer's eye and from those observations and counts the researches extrapolate comparing their range of vision to our own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - John R. Wooden
derekp1999 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #39 (permalink)

So I'm a little late to the discussion but I'll add my thoughts. I pretty much agree with what has been said in that other factors are much more important (scent and the wind, movement, etc.). Still, I've fallen prey to the "it can't hurt anything" mentality and love my performance hunting clothes. They are more durable and comfortable than a lot of stuff out there and I dedicate them to hunting so I don't care if they get bloody or dirty.

All that said, I think if you do want to wear camo the most important aspect of any camo is to break up your outline. So many of the camo patterns out there just look like a dark blob when you get 30 yards away. In my opinion, the best pattern for breaking up your outline is ASAT. It isn't a "good looking camo" but it is effective at breaking up your outline. I personally like the fusion camo pattern but truthfully ASAT is probably more effective at breaking up outlines.

For rifle hunting you need to wear orange anyway. I've had enough close encounters with deer and elk to know that orange isn't something that will scare them off. Since you can wear orange camo in Utah I'm liking Kryptek's inferno pattern so I'm visable to humans but still have my outline broken up to ungulates.

Camo might be more important for turkeys, antelope, bear, coyotes, and other animals with better eyesight. Even then, movement, wind direction and not skylining yourself are more important than the camo.
Vanilla likes this.
twall13 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in