»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,236
Threads: 63,920
Welcome to our newest member, BadMoonRiser

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bjorne Lou Tzar

Default Hybrid deer behind my house!

I live in Perry and there is a field between my backyard and I-15. I see a lot of deer in the field and in the orchards. I've seen a couple whitetails off and on the last couple years. One of them is a doe and the other is a small 4x4. He's real small, maybe 10-12 inches wide. This spring I saw a new buck that looks like a blacktail with whitetail horns. He's clearly a two-year old so I'm thinking he is one of the two-points that were behind my house last year. I just didn't notice the different tail.
I finally got a picture of the blacktailed deer as it went through my back yard yesterday. In the picture you can clearly see his tail is different from the muledeer on the left. I haven't seen the whitetail for a couple weeks, but I'll try to get a picture of it and post it.
Just thought you guys would be interested in this.
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hybrid deer behind my house!

I don't think Mule deer and Whitetail deer inter-breed (if that's the word) in the wild. Maybe in a captive environment they would, but I am not even sure about that. I used to believe they did but after a little study from sources other than hunters, I have learned that if it does happen it is very rare. I got interested in this because my bother owns property in Eastern Washington that is practically overrun with Whites tails and yet right in the middle of this is a nice herd of Mule deer. It just didn't seem possible that this would happen if they inter-breed as some think. In the fifteen or so years we have watched these deer we have never seen anything that even resembles what you might expect a hybrid to look like. You very seldom see them mixing and even when they might be in the same field feeding, they don't mix but maintain their herd structure. If you have a true Whitetail/Mule deer hybrid running around your place, get some really good pictures and it would be quite interesting.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

In Montana, I've seen hybreds. I've seen them with various characteristics - two different ears, white tail on a mule deer head/body, all sorts of things. They do cross-breed in the wild but it isn't that common. A few years ago, the deer pictured on Montana's hunting proc was a cross-breed.
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"
GaryFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Berg once shot a whitetail with mule deer feet. I'll have him post pictures.

Cool photo longbow, are you west of the gravel pit?

Old 07-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Mule deer and Whitetails sometimes hybridize, male Whitetail with a doe Muley.

I know they can be found in eastern Wyoming, the Dakotas and western Nebraska.

I worked with a guy from Sidney Nebraska that had them on his property.

see:
http://gf.nd.gov/multimedia/ndoutdoors/ ... hybrid.pdf
Old 07-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bjorne Lou Tzar

I've seen hybrids by St Regis Montana, Lethbridge Alberta, in Lemhi Idaho and now in Utah. I believe they crossbreed more than people think.
I have books by Dr Valerius Geist and another by Leonard LaRue and they both say it's fairly commom where the two overlap. Usually the whitetail bucks chase the less-aggressive muledeer away and breed his does.
Treehugnhuntr, I live at the bottom of the subdivision just south of the Perry City offices. If anyone has a hankerin to come bowhunt behind my house, I could show you around.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, you guys might be right, but do a little research and get back to me in a couple days. You could start with the No Dakota Wild life people and the NE wildlife people. Both have done/or are doing studies and both concluded that Yes, it probably does occur, but it is VERY rare. I am most certainly not saying you don't have one running around up there, like I say, get some good pictures cause it would be really interesting. I will say, from what I have read, there simply are not enough of these guys running around the country to have numerous sighting by every Tom, Dick and Harry deer hunter that happens to see some buck with a little unusual rack, or slightly different coloring. But here again, I am just another deer hunter and not by your wildest imagination an expert.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

they are absolutly right they do hybridize, while it is not really common it does happen however when it does happen they have difficult time with they're escape tactics almost confused whether to just blow out on a dead run like a whitetail or to gait like a mule deer and because if this fact they are prone to predation.

here is a pic.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoo...635088-t2.html
Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

They hybridize and are not sterile. I think some might say otherwise, but I've seen a hybrid doe that produced twins several years in a row. I'll dig some pictures up and post them later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
svmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bjorne Lou Tzar

Shootemup, the little fourpoint whitetail seems to run in an ackward manner. He clearly has a tail of a whitetail but he has never "flagged" when I've jumped him. He doesn't stot like a mulie either. He seems quite small for his age, between a fawn and a yearling doe.
The buck in the picture probably has deluted whitetail genes, not sure.

svmoose, I believe your right about them not being sterile. Last year I saw that little 4-point out trying to pork the does behind my house. I felt bad for him. He was just too little to catch them.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in