»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,239
Threads: 63,923
Welcome to our newest member, Badabiimik

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Uintas

Anyone ever chased elk near the east fork of the blacks fork? I have been doing it for a few years now without even as much as a peek at one in that area. I know its harder on the north slope (fewer elk, more vegetation/terrain etc.) Any pointers?
TIMBO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Uintas

No elk on the north slope, I would look on the south slope.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would but then I would find other hunters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Keep looking, eventually you'll find northslopes camp and then you can just hunt with him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TEX-O-BOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

To many people started to flood into that area and then to make matters worse, the Wyoming residents started killing off the elk when they started wintered in Wyoming heavily. Utah was asked to help out with the issue, and Utah pretty much gave Wyoming the bird. So the Wyoming people get a late hunt there for control.

You are honestly better to go on the South Slope, the herd size there is alot bigger then that which is on the North Slope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

utfireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utfireman
To many people started to flood into that area and then to make matters worse, the Wyoming residents started killing off the elk when they started wintered in Wyoming heavily. Utah was asked to help out with the issue, and Utah pretty much gave Wyoming the bird. So the Wyoming people get a late hunt there for control.

You are honestly better to go on the South Slope, the herd size there is alot bigger then that which is on the North Slope.
Pretty much dead on about the matter.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

hit it right on the head the biologists for the north slope will tell you there simply is not enough winter ground for the north slope herd.that is only because they winter in wyoming plenty of winter range but utah and wyoming WILL NOT work together on this matter.save yourself some heartache and hunt the south slope there are a ton of more elk you will find more people but alot of them are weekend warriors gone by tuesday also use the high hunting pressure to your advantage
hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

If only there were as many elk on the north slope, it seems that every time I look at a different drainage I say "Theres got to be elk in there". I guess I'll focus on some new territory some where on the south slope. Thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:

For years Utah's and Wyoming's elk hunt was at the same time. The elk kept moving back and forth across the border and were harvested by both sides. Then in about '84 Wyoming changed to an elk hunt that was after Utah's elk hunt.

So now it goes like this: You guys push all the elk into Wyoming, the elk get a little rest and then our hunt starts. We hunt them for awhile and push them back to Utah. By then your season(s) is closed or you have a diminished number of hunters with tags on the North Slope. The snow starts to pile up and the elk end up out in Wyomings sage brush. We have cow and calf hunts that go on until Jan 31 out there. I have one, in addition to my General Elk license

Yes, there are some philisophical, maybe even cultural, differences between Cheyenne and Salt Lake. I wish Wyoming would adopt some of Utah's trophy elk management practices.

I've seen fair numbers of elk on the North Slope, scattered throughout.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyone ever chased elk near the east fork of the blacks fork? I have been doing it for a few years now without even as much as a peek at one in that area. I know its harder on the north slope (fewer elk, more vegetation/terrain etc.) Any pointers?
Bah, I hunt the north slope and I have no issues finding elk! My best advice, scout, scout, scout and do not just show up opening day wondering where they are at as the north slope is quite vast and the terrain is sometimes rough as hell if you don't know where your headed. Additional advice would be to use Google Earth and then scout the various drainages until you locate a herd and then follow them with at the very least, weekend scouting trips until opening day. Sure your wife will hate you but oh well, you were born (on earth let me remind you, not venus) to hunt!

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in