»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,240
Threads: 63,923
Welcome to our newest member, Hubby20

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Uintas

I spoke with the Forest service in Mountain View and he said that sure some elk die in Wyoming after the hunt but it isn't as many as the Utah guy thinks it is. There are some elk on the North Slope. I have hunted there for the past 3 years. With f ive guys on the mountain we have shot 1 cow. We are not good though. Now, I am thinking about a switch to the Soapstone area after a scouting trip yesterday. It was very nice. I was really impressed. It is also closer than my trip to the north east side every year and would allow me to scout more.
Riverlution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Scout, scout, scout is not the issue like I said it is getting a glimpse at anything that isnt a moose or a sheep, but I guess thats why they call them the "Elusive" Rocky Mountain Elk."
TIMBO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

"Ghost's of the Forest" is what I call them. I have hunted the north slope for 6 years. they are there, but after opening day good luck. I would tell you were they go , but I would have to pull a spy move on ya. We have hearvested out a spike and 5 pointer.
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've run into the elk pretty frequently in that drainage and both of the drainages on either side of the Blacks. They're there. I think the thing that catches a lot of people off guard is that they are often higher up that you would reasonably want to pack them out without a horse. There are some that are more accessible, but you will probably never see them in the open after the first shot is fired. Every elk I've seen up there has been in the thick, dark timber, and would be best hunted with a fast, open sight, lever action than anything else.

You can do very well with the archery hunt there as well, providing you don't mind walking your a$$ off. Because there are plenty of elk in there, but they aren't pushovers, and they sure aren't going easy. These animals deal with people all summer long before we show up, they've got us all figured out.

One sure fire way I can think of to find elk there would be to take a topo map. Look on there and find the LAST place you would ever want to have to pack an elk out of.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchOutdoors

One sure fire way I can think of to find elk there would be to take a topo map. Look on there and find the LAST place you would ever want to have to pack an elk out of.
That pretty much defines elk hunting as I know it. The elk will always be where no one wants to go. Its no secret!
swbuckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Good info from all. The north slope is a very large area with a few elk. They have miles of area to hide in when they want to. I have hunted most of the drainages around there and found elk in most at one time or the other. They can be in one area and get bumped and travel for miles before stopping. The ones I have found seen to be singles or vwery small groups. Good Luck!
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverlution
I spoke with the Forest service in Mountain View and he said that sure some elk die in Wyoming after the hunt but it isn't as many as the Utah guy thinks it is. There are some elk on the North Slope. I have hunted there for the past 3 years. With f ive guys on the mountain we have shot 1 cow. We are not good though. Now, I am thinking about a switch to the Soapstone area after a scouting trip yesterday. It was very nice. I was really impressed. It is also closer than my trip to the north east side every year and would allow me to scout more.
good luck bro. Been there done that along with everyone from salt lake valley. If you don't get your elk opening morning chances are you won't. But I wish you luck.
3D4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D4ME
good luck bro. Been there done that along with everyone from salt lake valley. If you don't get your elk opening morning chances are you won't. But I wish you luck.
Even during the Archery, I can understand that on the Rifle but there can't be that much pressure on the archery.
Riverlution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchOutdoors
I've run into the elk pretty frequently in that drainage and both of the drainages on either side of the Blacks. They're there. I think the thing that catches a lot of people off guard is that they are often higher up that you would reasonably want to pack them out without a horse. There are some that are more accessible, but you will probably never see them in the open after the first shot is fired. Every elk I've seen up there has been in the thick, dark timber, and would be best hunted with a fast, open sight, lever action than anything else.

You can do very well with the archery hunt there as well, providing you don't mind walking your **** off. Because there are plenty of elk in there, but they aren't pushovers, and they sure aren't going easy. These animals deal with people all summer long before we show up, they've got us all figured out.

Are you talking higher in elevation, or deeper into the forest, or both? I am thinking both, I would love to do a couple of days backpacking trip in to some areas just need to scout them a little more, and they would all be the last place I would want to pack an elk out of.
TIMBO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

RIVERLUTION: I've done the Soapstone thing, its not just elk hunters there is a ton of deer hunters up there as well.
inbowrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in