»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,236
Threads: 63,920
Welcome to our newest member, BadMoonRiser

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fillmore/Oakcreek

Hey, any of ya ever hunt this unit? Don't have a tag or anything just looking for a little info. Feel free to PM me. Would really like to talk to someone who has hunted the unit before. Thanks in advance.
USMARINEhuntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fillmore/Oakcreek

elk or deer? For elk - it sucks! It used to be pretty good up until a few years ago when the DWR opened up the north end and slaughtered all of the bigger bulls. It hasn't been the same since. There are still a few decent bulls on the unit, but numbers are VERY low. The DWR actually wanted to turn it into a general season elk unit this year, and I am sure they will get their way eventually.

Like many of the deer units in the state, it holds some good bucks. It is a relatively small unit and has a relatively small number of deer as well. The terrain can be VERY rough! I've seen some good bucks killed and I also know of many who have had tags that never killed a deer.
legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks I was more curious about the elk and how opening the northern portion had affected it. Sounds like it didnt work out so well. I'm sure if they want it open bull it wont be long until it is. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

The DWR tried to make it an Any-Bull unit in 2007, but it was shot down. I would say this is the poorest LE elk unit as far as numbers of quality bulls in Utah. Great unnit for big bucks though.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds about par for the course. Sounds like there are elk, but few and far between. Interesting to see what happens with it.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

The most recently I have hunted it for elk was in 2006 - my wife had a tag. Ran across a handfull of raghorns and 1 or 2 decent bulls. She ended up killing a very small 6X6. Archery hunted in 2001 and had pretty good success. My bro-in-law killed a 350" bull and I passed on several smaller bulls. Yeah, when they opened up the north end, after it was all said and done, the DWR said "Oopps!" They had no idea what they were doing! Like Pro said, it's the poorest quality unit for elk in the state. I think a lot of guys see the draw odds and put in, not knowing what is in store.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

what about the late season hunt!!! i will be hunting that unit with a family member this year anybody have any input on that season. we will not be expecting a 340 or even 330 class bull but a descent 5x5 or 6x6.(due to his health) i have been scouting on the church hills and cove fort area but i have been told it is to early in the year.do we have a shot at some bulls any prior experiance or help would be greatly appreciated
hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy
Yeah, when they opened up the north end, after it was all said and done, the DWR said "Oopps!" They had no idea what they were doing! Like Pro said, it's the poorest quality unit for elk in the state. I think a lot of guys see the draw odds and put in, not knowing what is in store.
Oh, don't even buy into that crap. The DWR knew exactly what they were doing when they opened the unit up. The goal was to kill ALL the elk because a very FEW group of ranchers complained they were tearing up their crops. Many of us fought it tooth and nail right up till the day it opened, but it did no good. I don't know what the funniest part was; the DWR saying they KNEW for a fact there was only 13 bulls(can't remember the # for sure, under 20 though) or the ranchers who cried about the elk tearing up their crops and then posting their (leased)property tighter than hell and having their own little private limited entry unit. Utah lost one of the best F&G officers in the state(IMO) due to this little fiasco. Sorry for the rant but this still ticks me off. I echo what the others say, quality bulls are few and far between.

Legacy-- Are you from the Oak City side, Nephi side or just knowledgeable of the area? Just curious....
Old 07-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat
what about the late season hunt!!! i will be hunting that unit with a family member this year anybody have any input on that season. we will not be expecting a 340 or even 330 class bull but a descent 5x5 or 6x6.(due to his health) i have been scouting on the church hills and cove fort area but i have been told it is to early in the year.do we have a shot at some bulls any prior experiance or help would be greatly appreciated
The late season can be good if the snow is deep enough to push elk off the Pahvant onto the unit.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwailow
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy
Yeah, when they opened up the north end, after it was all said and done, the DWR said "Oopps!" They had no idea what they were doing! Like Pro said, it's the poorest quality unit for elk in the state. I think a lot of guys see the draw odds and put in, not knowing what is in store.
Oh, don't even buy into that crap. The DWR knew exactly what they were doing when they opened the unit up. The goal was to kill ALL the elk because a very FEW group of ranchers complained they were tearing up their crops. Many of us fought it tooth and nail right up till the day it opened, but it did no good. I don't know what the funniest part was; the DWR saying they KNEW for a fact there was only 13 bulls(can't remember the # for sure, under 20 though) or the ranchers who cried about the elk tearing up their crops and then posting their (leased)property tighter than hell and having their own little private limited entry unit. Utah lost one of the best F&G officers in the state(IMO) due to this little fiasco. Sorry for the rant but this still ticks me off. I echo what the others say, quality bulls are few and far between.

Legacy-- Are you from the Oak City side, Nephi side or just knowledgeable of the area? Just curious....
No, I agree with you on that 100% and that is pretty much how it went down. It was the biggest joke I have ever seen. And yes, they "claimed" that there was only a hand full of bulls, so that was the justification for opening the entire north end of the unit.

gwailow, my mom is from Delta and my dad is from Oak City, although I grew up in West Jordan. We've spent a lot of time down around Oak City and on the unit.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in