»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,240
Threads: 63,923
Welcome to our newest member, Hubby20

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone willing to help a new hunter in UT?

Hello!
i am a new hunter. Although i'm still learning i absolutely love the sport! i was hoping to maybe put in for the rifle deer hunt this year, but my "partner" has abandoned me!
i thought perhaps i would put out a plea for help! is there anyone out there that would be willing to show me what it's like to get your first deer?
Thanks,
Stephanie
stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Anyone willing to help a new hunter in UT?

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with a hunting partner, It might help if you post up age, area your in and some of your interests. Once again, good luck. Al.
Al Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you have two or three General Season points then I will let you put in with me and maybe even purchase your tag for you. Of course it also depends on if you want to hunt Southern this year?

Also if I acted like a goofball then would you ever point your rifle at me?

On a serious note welcome to the forum. Did you go hunting last year?
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes welcome to the forum. You can find some good info here. More info from you would be a good idea. ie: what region you would like to hunt, LE or general, what region do you live, how aggresive or challenging a hunt are you looking for, do you hike or road hunt, what do you shoot (weapon) etc. I hunt archery but have taken several people (the wife, friends, friends wives) out on the rifle hunts and been somewhat successful. If i'm not to booked this fall I might be willing to show you around some of the areas I know, mostly north eastern unit. Feel free to PM me if you do not want to share this info with the general public.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry about that...classic newbie mistake maybe...
i'm 29, in Ogden, didn't hunt last year, but accompanied on scouting. i was hoping to make this year my big year. i have no bonus points yet. i do have a turkey tag...but this is the wrong forum for that...
i would just love to be able to even learn more from anyone willing to teach me more. Kinda want to be able to pass this down to my kids, but need to get the knowledge and experience first.
Thanks,
Stephanie
Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know what you guys are all thinking but the first person to ask her if she is hot and single is going to get punched in the nose...............................come on guys.......GROW UP!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

oh cripes...i hadn't even thought of that...
good news...i have 3 kids!
That's why the deer is so important...there are mouths to be fed!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Crickets??? Welcome to the forum, I would advise you to start applying for bonus points and get to know an area a little, plus learn some hunting technics a little better before going gung ho in a LE area. Your chances at a trophy will be greatlt increased the more experienced and knowledgable about the area. If you have 0 points you will more than likley not draw a rifle tag for a few years (more like 8-9 depending on where). So maybe but yourself a elk tag and get to know the unit you will be applying for. I highly recommend San Juan/Elk Ridge. Just my .02.

I400 is now more important than ever!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

It appears, at this point, you're just after a younger, good eatin' deer, so you should apply for a Northern Region General Season rifle tag and it's pretty much a gimee for the tag. ("Trophy" hunting can come later on, unless you have beginner's luck this year!! Hey, it could happen!!) Then pick up a DeLorme or Benchmark Utah Atlas (Walmart, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc.) and look for possible places to hunt in your area on public land (Nat'l Forest, BLM, State Trust lands). In the meanwhile, check with the closest DWR office and/or the State office in Salt Lake and ask for some advice. They'll be more than happy to direct you to places where you could find the deer you're looking for. Also, keep us posted here and I'm sure someone from that area will help you out with more details and even some arrangements. I have two married daughters, one in Clearfield and one in Magna, that rifle hunt and I usually go with them, so we might be able to help you as well. (It depends on their schedules.) And don't forget to sight your rifle in and practice as often as you can. And, by all means, relax and have fun.
elkfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Wow thank you all for the great advice! i will take it all into consideration!
Stephanie

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in