> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,520
Threads: 63,078
Welcome to our newest member, waterdes4m
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Backpack Hunting Tent Recommendations

Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations on a tent for backpack hunting as well as backpacking trips with my wife. So ideally a roomy 2 person tent that is light and holds up to the elements reasonably well.

Thanks in advance!
aspiring_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_hunter View Post
Hi All,
So ideally a roomy 2 person tent that is light and holds up to the elements reasonably well.
So you want a 3 person tent.
DallanC and Kwalk3 like this.
gdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Most 2 man tents aren't truly 2 man tents. 1 man and gear, or 2 people if you don't mind being uncomfortable.

I have a Mountain Hardwear 2.5 man tent that's treated me well, and sleeps 2 guys reasonably comfortably, but it's not super light. I know a few guys that have good luck with the Big Agnes Fly Creek and Copper Spur, but again, more of a 1 guy and gear proposition

What kind of budget are you looking at? Are you willing to try a floorless shelter, tipi style?

There are a lot of options out there, just need to know some of your preferences/constraints.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Check out: https://seekoutside.com/

Cimarron is a great option, with many options in regards to how its used (with or without nest & ability to run a stove).
Old 05-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog View Post
What shelter are you running? Thinking about going floorless this year. Not to hijack the thread, but I figure it'll still be relevant to the OP.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
What shelter are you running? Thinking about going floorless this year. Not to hijack the thread, but I figure it'll still be relevant to the OP.
I've got too many tents. My go too's now...

Ultra light one person, I'm running the TarpTent Aeon. Dyneema $$, but it weights in at barley over 1lb. I used this last fall on a Snowcock hunt and it worked well. Not a ton of room, but again super light.

I use a Cimarron with and without nest & stove a lot too. If we are truck camping with the wife and dogs, I throw this up with the nest, since the wife doesn't like the floorless idea and it does keep the early season bugs at bay. I use this elk hunting setup floorless. If close to truck, I'll use a Big Agnes cot. If backpacking a piece of tyvek and or bivy on the ground. Stove when appropriate. The stove is a game changer when hunting in cold/wet conditions. Great roomy setup for 2 people.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the SeekOutside Eolus with nest for early backpack & hunting (ptarmigan/snowcock) trips and early archery elk trips. Nest for when bugs are bad or I have wife/dog with and mostly setup floorless when by myself.

The other "want" is a 8 man teepee with stove setup for base camp.

Too many choices, but the flexibility in setups to go floorless is really nice at times and the weight savings can be significant.

I have handful of tents from MSR, Big Ages, Euraka and others. I like the Big Agnes products, but with the really lightweight options (all manf.) in a free standing tent, you start giving up a lot of durability. The new version of the Big Agnes Copper Spur is a really nice option.

You can find some good deals on high end used tents. A great place to look is https://www.rokslide.com/forums/foru...lassifieds.88/
Kwalk3 likes this.

Last edited by gdog; 05-22-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog View Post
I've got too many tents. My go too's now...

Ultra light one person, I'm running the TarpTent Aeon. Dyneema $$, but it weights in at barley over 1lb. I used this last fall on a Snowcock hunt and it worked well. Not a ton of room, but again super light.

I use a Cimarron with and without nest & stove a lot too. If we are truck camping with the wife and dogs, I throw this up with the nest, since the wife doesn't like the floorless idea and it does keep the early season bugs at bay. I use this elk hunting setup floorless. If close to truck, I'll use a Big Agnes cot. If backpacking a piece of tyvek and or bivy on the ground. Stove when appropriate. The stove is a game changer when hunting in cold/wet conditions. Great roomy setup for 2 people.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the SeekOutside Eolus with nest for early backpack & hunting (ptarmigan/snowcock) trips and early archery elk trips. Nest for when bugs are bad or I have wife/dog with and mostly setup floorless when by myself.

The other "want" is a 8 man teepee with stove setup for base camp.

Too many choices, but the flexibility in setups to go floorless is really nice at times and the weight savings can be significant.

I have handful of tents from MSR, Big Ages, Euraka and others. I like the Big Agnes products, but with the really lightweight options (all manf.) in a free standing tent, you start giving up a lot of durability. The new version of the Big Agnes Copper Spur is a really nice option.

You can find some good deals on high end used tents. A great place to look is https://www.rokslide.com/forums/foru...lassifieds.88/
+1
johnrr65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got the new Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2. I like the vestibules can be propped up with a pole and sit under to relax in some shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettski7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've had a lot of luck with Alps line of backpack tents. Cheap, lightweight, and durable.
utskidad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

I picked up a cheap lightweight backpack tent at Recreation Outlet.. It's a two person but as others have said, it is great for me, and my gear.

I've been impressed with the tent. Think it was $60 was all. Came with a lifetime guarantee.

Not sure how it would compare with some of the others that have been mentioned. But it's a decent tent, low cost, and lightweight as in a little over 2 pounds. I believe there was a 3-person tent there too in the lightweight backpack tents.

Good luck!
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in