Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Any .308 loads?

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  waspocrew 
#1 · (Edited)
I just searched the "reloading recipes" forum and there aren't any .308 Win loads! WTH?
I just finished a quick project .308. I bought a cheap 22' 1-10"tw sporter weight barrel from a guy who didn't know who made it. I had a brand new Howa 1500 with a .473 boltface sitting around so I chambered the barrel and slapped it on. I didn't even true the action. Anyway, does anyone have a pet load that just seems to work in any .308 they've shot it in? I'm not too worried about gnat's-hair accuracy or sizzling speed with this gun. I just want to get a quick load worked up and get out next week.
The bullets I have available are:
-168gr Hornady A-Max (2.847 OAL @ lands)
-168gr Hornady BTHP Match (2.847 OAL @ lands)
-150gr Hornady SP
-180gr Sierra Gamekings

I have a ton of powders, some Lapua Palma, Rem and Win brass, CCI, Win and Federal primers
Anyone?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I wish I could find the thread but I posted up pics of my aforementioned load.

I sent a note to Kimber about how great the rifle shot and they sent me a bunch of swag in return. It was way cool.

#8 ·
I'm running a similar load to bax. I'm shooting 165gr sst's on 43.5gr of varget and cci 200 primers. getting just under 2700 fps out of a 23.5" barrel. in the picture below, the odd ball out was cold bore. the other hole is four shots at .14moa center to center. same load i used to take my muley at 550 this year and I've killed multiple prarie dogs over 800 yds. I'm quite pleased with the load

Attachments

#9 ·
I finally loaded up some test loads and hiked up to the clearcuts where the sun is shining.
I learned a few things today.

- No matter how cold it is, don't go hike while wearing a wool Sleeping Indian Guide jacket. Holy cow I was burning up! Best stuff ever.
- I don't like my new set of Hornady American dies. They work great but lack the set screw on the locking ring. Most of my guns have their own set of dies designated to that one particular gun and load. After I finalize a load, I usually write which gun they go to on the box. You can't do that with these.
- Don't step on your shooting mat with your ice cleats on. You'll hear swear words, even if you're by yourself. And, if you go check targets and come back and do it again except this time the mat sticks to your cleats, you'll be even more pissed.

I took both Bax* and Jmgardner's advice and started with Varget. I checked with my Hornady manual and both were among the safe loads recommended. (No offense men, but it's always safe to check the manuals.) I started at 41.5 and went to 44.0. The first three were a wild 3.733. I didn't hit the bullseye but I had that sucker surrounded!! I'm not sure why.
I can't cry about the next groups but I know this gun can do better. The last group (Bax*s) showed the most promise except my first shot hit a stick that was leaning up against target to keep it steady in the wind.

I don't think these groups are a good representative of how this rifle/load can preform for several reasons.
- The parallax on my 4x12x44 Zeiss Terra scope is factory set at 320 yards. It was horrible at 100 yards.
- It also has super thick crosshairs.
- It was cold!!
- I forgot my back sandbag and improvised with my hat and gloves.
- Snot kept running out of my nose while I was at battery.

I'm going to reload again starting with 42.0 and go up to 45.0 and see what happens.

Attachments

#12 ·
Those groups, how the center drifts in relation to the point of aim... it looks like off axis yaw stability issues. I'd love to see those same loads shot at 200 yards to see if they stabilize better.

-DallanC
You may be right Dallan. I also wish I knew what velocity I'm getting. I didn't want to develop a load with a Magneto Speed hanging off this light sporter weight barrel.

I think I'll try 200 yards next time, or even 300yards so I'm sure my parallax is on.

#15 ·
I wanted to retest my loads today plus try to sneak up to 45.5gr of Varget and see how things went. But.....I shot three rounds at 215 yards and I said forget this crap!! My fingers were numb from the ride up and I couldn't quit shivering. It's freakin' cold!!!! At least our lake is high enough so I was able to see the sun. I haven't seen the sun for a month or so. Next weekend I'll get out again.

Attachments

#19 ·
I really do. Every day I look out at a postcard picture scene.....in fact, you and those girls of yours should consider coming up and hunting Sitka Blacktails sometime (or deep sea fishing in July/August) or both. We see the biggest bears in the world every day from June to the last of November, whales, Roosevelt elk, Sea lions, puffins and those goofy sea otters everywhere. It'd be an adventure. I only have a few years left here and I'm back to my house in Perry, Utah.

#21 ·
Finally got the chance to take my T3 out to the range (100 yards). I was using Hornady 168 grain Amax ammunition I had on hand as well as some loads with the 150 gr TTSX and RL-15.

After putting a few down range, the Amax started to shoot fairly well. I've pictured shots #7-9 from the rifle.

I didn't have a ton of time to spend at the range, so after shooting that group with the Amax, I moved on to the TTSX loads. The first batch at 44.0 grains looked promising. After that, 44.5 and 45.0 grains opened up a bit more. I'll clean the barrel out and hit it again next week if time allows.

One thing about the T3 that annoys me is the magazine really limits your COAL. I've set a factory 168 Amax round in the "short action" mag and the same round in the "long action" mag. Tikka's are all the same action length and the bolt stop is what sets the different action lengths. Apparently the bolt stop can be modified fairly easily to allow use of long action mags in the 308. I think I'll be giving it a try.

Once I settle on a TTSX load, I'll run it over my magnetospeed and post up the results.

PS: Not sure why all the photos are sideways - too lazy to figure it out at the moment haha

Attachments

#22 ·
It is always fun getting out to the range and trying to figure out what shoots best, sometimes it can be quite frustrating. But it looks like you are on your way to a nice shooting load.

The pictures are sideways because that is the way that you turned your phone to take them. The phone will orientate them correctly when you are looking at them in this case the top is actually to the left, but when you upload them somewhere they will revert to the top being the top and the bottom being the bottom.

#23 ·
The pictures are sideways because that is the way that you turned your phone to take them. The phone will orientate them correctly when you are looking at them in this case the top is actually to the left, but when you upload them somewhere they will revert to the top being the top and the bottom being the bottom.
I wish it were this simple! I was definitely holding the phone vertically while taking the pictures. For now, turning our heads to the side will have to work :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.