Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Burning the Candle at Both Ends (DC + PV )

872 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  utahgolf 
#1 ·
DEER CREEK

I had work all day on July 4th, and stayed till midnight. I already had plans with FlyFishingLover to hit Deer Creek Reservoir at 5:30am, so with no sleep had, we went up to DC. Got there to find the water level had dropped again. It took a while till we found the fish, but when we did, the good times started. Got my 1st SMB on a the fly. Shortly after I got my 1st perch on the fly, then I got my 1st green sunfish on the fly! All were caught with a psychodelic prince nymph. Soon after more of these same species showed up on the end of my fly line.

The rain started, I got soaked, and we continued to catch fish. When the action died off I called it quits. The largest bass of the day was 13 inches, and the largest perch was 12 inches. All in all I caught 5 SMB's, 6 Perch and 11 Green Sunfish. Sorry no pics. Luckily FFL took some.

Got home at 9pm, and got 7 hours of sleep before my next date at 5:30am...this time with Utgolf.

PINEVIEW......

Got up Ogden Canyon to see low clouds, colder temps and lower water levels. Dead tired I helped Utgolf walk that motorized cannoe down to the beach. We launched and were dissapointed to see a lack of bass habitat....AKA....bass-a-tat. During the search Utgolf caught sight of a TM. Throwing his big lure the beast turned around....and CHOMP...but no hook up. The bite marks on the lure were proof that it bit...but was not fooled.

While searchin for a good bass spot, we ran into the Pineview Twins, which in my tired state, went without a hello from me. They must have been tired too...cause they did not give a response either. Kinda dissapointed to see that they were not using a clown colored blue fox + tyedye crawler tho -Ov- It was much like the beginning of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.....we both just sat at the table eating our soup.

Soon after we found a brushy area...a true island in the desert! Utgolf was the 1st to hook up with a SMB....which was a good one.

Many casts later he got an even better one.

He handed me a similar lure and BAM, I got my 1st SMB of the day. Great I thought....now I get to hit the tackle shop and get $20 worth of those.

Sure enough I lost the lure, and switched a Cinnimon with Black Flecks single tail. Found another brush island and tried my luck. Getting nothing I tried just a slow retrieve...and bingo...SMB on!

Shifted the cannoe to a new spot and watched tons of Bluegill scatter! Threw out the single tail again and got my biggest SMB of the day.

For the rest of the day we only got fry to play, and a few following TM's. Of interest while getting back to our beach I threw a large black spinner bait behind the boat, and when I closed the bail....BAM....hook up into something big. By the time Utgolf killed the motor, the fish was fighting hard. Was it a SMB, a TM, maybe a Carp? Never got to find out, for it spat the hook. Anyone ever had luck with trolling a spinner bait.

With 5 SMB between the 2 of us, we left, probly not to return to PV until the water level gets back up.....maybe next year...maybe.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for taking me out....you definately know your stuff when it comes to bass fishing, a true master at the art of catchin them. And THANK YOU for baby sitting me with the proper gear and techniques on how to use them. TDT and I hit sportsmans yesterday and picked up plenty of those rigs, well worth the money. Gonna hit Jordanele in the coming weeks......we would love for you to come along if you got the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.