> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,603
Threads: 57,025
Welcome to our newest member, Beanus
Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1 View Post
I can't really explain it rationally. About 10-12 years ago I was very passionate about them. I fished a lot of lakes looking for big ones, and I was quite successful. However the novelty just wore off after they started stocking them EVERYWHERE! The real dagger was when they started putting them on Boulder Mountain. They simply do not belong there. Boulder is about big brook trout and that is that. Nothing was more disheartening than fighting a big fish for ten minutes on a Boulder Lake only to see a big stupid tiger trout on the end of your line. Thankfully they have come out with sterile brook trout now so they can use them instead of tigers in the Boulder Management Plan. I would like them to completely stop tiger stocking on Boulder, but I'll be happy with what they are doing now.
I guess my whole reasoning is somewhat selfish stemming from my adoration of brook trout.
I can totally agree with BG1, too much of a new thing just isn't exciting anymore. I would also like to catch the occasional rainbow, cutthroat, brown or brook once in awhile but way too many waters seem to be almost contaminated with the tiger. Tigers are an easy catch compared to the others.
BG1 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #22 (permalink)

I guess I've been fishing the wrong ponds then if tigers are an easy catch. I've only caught 2 and probably caught 10 times the ammount of bows and cutts.
As far as looks the tigers aren't a very pretty fish but they are way better table fare and put up a heck of a fight.

I would like to see small numbers of tigers put in bigger lakes like strawberry and have slot limits imposed where you can't keep one unless it's 26 inches or better.
Cutthroat are the fish I'm not overly impressed with. It seems like they are in every lake and the fight they put up is weak compared to others.

Now I can see if your fishing small ponds or lakes and your catching small tigers how it could be lame. I'd much rather see sterile brook trout because of their beauty and table fare. Salmonidae family fish are the best tasting fish out IMHO. I can barely choke down a walleye, catfish, bass or pan fish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Dunkem and BG1 like this.
swbuckmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbuckmaster View Post

I would like to see small numbers of tigers put in bigger lakes like strawberry and have slot limits imposed where you can't keep one unless it's 26 inches or better.

I believe Strawberry does have Tiger's, since '09. Scofield was also planted heavily about that time. Where do you think I got tired of catching them? Like BG1 says, they seem to be everywhere ! But you're right on one count, 'small number's', I believe would have been a better choice.
I guess it just makes the search for an area without tigers more rewarding.

Go back to shooting turkeys...
swbuckmaster and BG1 like this.
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #24 (permalink)

I didn't know tigers were in strawberry

Old 04-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #25 (permalink)

I think utah is an awesome state to fish. It has so many varieties of big fish if you look hard enough for them. Here is my favorite tiger variety. I caught this at Pineview reservoir before alot of people new they were in there. 51.5" 31 lbs

wyogoob, .45 and BG1 like this.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #26 (permalink)

SW....beautiful tiger muskie. First one I caught was 30 years ago in Wisconsin before everyone started stocking them. It was quite rare then as natural tigers are not that common.

Personally I have a hard time getting excited about a tiger trout simply because it is a "designer" fish with no natural occurrence. I have always been in favor of reestablishing native fishes where they have been removed....within reason. When I attended BYU in the late 70's you couldn't find a cutthroat trout in the state of Utah....at least not many. The Bonneville cutthroat was thought to be extinct. But since rediscovery the state has tried to reestablish in much of their native range. Heck, rainbows aren't even native to Utah....
swbuckmaster and BG1 like this.
DocEsox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocEsox View Post
SW....beautiful tiger muskie. First one I caught was 30 years ago in Wisconsin before everyone started stocking them. It was quite rare then as natural tigers are not that common.

Personally I have a hard time getting excited about a tiger trout simply because it is a "designer" fish with no natural occurrence. I have always been in favor of reestablishing native fishes where they have been removed....within reason. When I attended BYU in the late 70's you couldn't find a cutthroat trout in the state of Utah....at least not many. The Bonneville cutthroat was thought to be extinct. But since rediscovery the state has tried to reestablish in much of their native range. Heck, rainbows aren't even native to Utah....
You were looking in the wrong places Doc...
wyogoob and bowgy like this.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

That is probably true .45....although the Bonneville cutt wasn't around except for the Bear Lake strain. But it is true I pretty much lived off of brown trout caught in the Provo River back then.....occasional walleye out of Utah Lake...
.45 likes this.
DocEsox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
PBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbuckmaster View Post
I'd love to see them stocked in more lakes
Aren't they already in every lake in Utah?

While I certainly don't mind catching nice tiger trout, I'm not a big fan of them. It really bothers me when we start replacing other sport fish (splake) with tigers. That's not good.

Tiger trout on the Boulder where applicable don't bother me. I don't mind tigers in the Willow Bottoms with the CR cutts. That's just fine with me. And having them in a few other lakes is OK too -- especially in lakes that tend to have brook trout overpopulation issues. Tigers are a great tool when used appropriately. Let's just not over do it.

did you guys watch the KSL Outdoors episode from last week? That big tiger posted in this thread was on the show, along with a couple other nice fish:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1112&sid=438...h-lake-ice-off
wyoming2utah, swbuckmaster and .45 like this.

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.