> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,557
Threads: 56,853
Welcome to our newest member, altaski
Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

That cat is a nice one! Seems like a pretty normal size for what I've seen regularly. I just discovered the Joys of Utah Lake catfishing last year and it only took one 24" channel to hook me. They fight hard and they taste awesome! The walleye is a fish that has eluded me up to this point though. Nice work!
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
West side Utah Lake

Do people actually eat the catfish from UL? With everything in there I have a hard time understanding that.
.45 likes this.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

I ate a pile of them last year up until the whole toxic algae bloom thing. They taste great! I was a little concerned due to what I'd heard about the lakes reputation, but after doing some first hand and online research, the catfish are great to eat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2017, 12:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

I ate them when I lived close. If you're concerned about it, look up the advisory and keep on the safe side of the recommendations. Those cats are Good!
Kwalk3 likes this.
willfish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
I ate a pile of them last year up until the whole toxic algae bloom thing. They taste great! I was a little concerned due to what I'd heard about the lakes reputation, but after doing some first hand and online research, the catfish are great to eat.

Seeing what has gone in and out of there the last 50 years I won't even drop a line in the lake nor the Jordan River. Raw sewage, dead animals, hundreds of chemicals, metals, run off from farms, anti-freeze slicks, oil slicks, piles of manure. These are just a few of the things I've seen in those place's.

No thanks, I'd rather stick with a nice, fresh, mountain stream trout.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nice fish swbuckmaster, I hope I didn't offend you, I do like your post and it's good to see somebody is getting out.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

I certainly understand where you're coming from .45. However after researching the studies on pcb levels in the fish in the lake, as well as first hand knowledge that they are excellent table fare, I'm looking forward to restocking the freezer with firm white fillets.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
I certainly understand where you're coming from .45. However after researching the studies on pcb levels in the fish in the lake, as well as first hand knowledge that they are excellent table fare, I'm looking forward to restocking the freezer with firm white fillets.

When we used to bring them home my mother would marinade them in some kind of vinegar for a few days, cook 'em, then tell us how good they were. Really? By that time the fish would be bleached totally white and taste like....vinegar.

Maybe you're a better cook !
Old 03-31-2017, 01:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

All you need to do with a catfish is to fillet them roll them in some flower and egg and throw them into the frying pan.

When I lived in Utah Valley I used to almost live on the mud cats during the summer when I couldn't get into the channel cats.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLouisianian View Post
Do people actually eat the catfish from UL? With everything in there I have a hard time understanding that.

We have had a few (often vigorous) discussions/debates about the subject on here. The facts are these.

1. There is a consumption advisory (for PCB's) on the channel catfish and carp. This is further elucidated in the link below, as well as many of ones other favorite waters.

https://deq.utah.gov/fishadvisories/index.htm

2. The other species have no advisories for pcb's on them.

3. Statewide, mercury is the biggest fish toxin concern. Utah lake fish have been tested for mercury and had some of the lowest tested values of any fish in the state at that time. .45's stream caught trout have a fair likelihood of having much more mercury in them than any UL fish. Therefore, there is no mercury advisory on UL fish in spite of what you may read from some internet warriors on occasion.

Now the opinion.

1. For a lot of folks, it doesn't matter if the fish flesh is as pristine as the wind driven snow. When they have seen the history of the lake, the lake stink, the turbid water and dumps and treatment plants nearby, they won't eat the fish. If they did, it would probably be yucky. There's no sense fighting this.

2. For me, I and my kids eat panfish,walleye, and white bass when available and I will eat 1-3 catfish a year and adhere to the advisory. I prefer the 18-24 inch cats to harvest and with the recipes I use, they are some of the best fish one can eat. cats over 25 inches tend to be a bit gamier and less tasty. The kids don't care for catfish but will eat panfish fillets on occasion with their old man. All delicious.

3. I would love to see Utah lake cleaned up further in reducing phosphate and nutrient drainage into the lake. it would reduce those nasty algae blooms and help with the stink. That is why I've always supported the (unpopular with fishermen) June sucker program as it provides funds to make the lake better.
wyogoob likes this.

Last edited by Catherder; 04-03-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.