Threads: 56,729
Welcome to our newest member, Philip
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Catherder
  • 1 Post By johnnycake
  • 1 Post By Catherder
  • 1 Post By Catherder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Glory that is Fish Lake.

I haven't shared a report on here for a long while so here goes.

I think Fish Lake is my favorite place to ice fish. It has a little of everything and never seems to disappoint. A buddy and I went yesterday and that didn't change. We started on the South end with hundreds of our closest friends. (lots of tents) We went to a waypoint I have and commenced to get our quota of perch. Once we got to the magic depth of 15-16 feet, we were able to have fast action for all the perch we wanted to fillet. I also caught about a dozen trout during this time. We then worked our way towards the Eastern shore. Once there it was fast action for trout all afternoon. Both of us caught 4 species on the day. bow, splake, tiger trout and perch. No macks or browns on this trip. Best bows were 16-17 inches, best splake were in the 17 inch range. Quite a few planters but fast action. I probably caught Betty Whites age in fish and only 1/3rd of the count were perch. Saw eagles, elk, other birds and deer on the trip. Saw a dandy (looked like a 5x6) buck near Sigurd. I put a detailed description of the ice on the ice conditions report. Great day!

I did have one oddity though. I kept a limit of splake yesterday. I was tired once I got home and hadn't had dinner. I took one of the splake I caught, cleaned it, and grilled it. Usually splake have super red meat there and are delicious. This one had more pale meat and was not nearly as good eating. Externally, it wasn't colored up or anything. After dinner, when I cleaned the other 3, they had bright red meat and should taste great. Kind of unusual.
wyogoob, bowgy, Dunkem and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Catherder; 01-08-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm trying to plan a trip down there soon. Maybe take the wife the weekend of her birthday in a couple weeks.

Never ice fished for perch down there. What bait did you use? Jigging something I assume. I'm a rookie....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Gizzy bugs tipped with meal worms on a 1/32 or smaller jig is my go to for fish lake perch.

Awesome report! Sounds like a good trip. Any size to the perch or still the 4-8" average?
3arabians likes this.
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome! I need to plan a trip down there with my girls

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
swbuckmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arabians View Post
Never ice fished for perch down there. What bait did you use? Jigging something I assume. I'm a rookie....

Perch are easy to catch. They will hit any small jigs tipped with meal worms, waxies, nightcrawler, or perch meat, eyes, and whatnot. If you don't have any ice jigs, just a piece of worm on a small hook will work too. They are almost always near the bottom.

The key to catching perch though is to be where they are, and that is basically at the edge of the weedline in about 15-16 feet of water. You will get a few a bit deeper but it isn't lightning fast like it should be if you are in the right depth. If you don't have a fishfinder, you can approximate where the weedline is by looking for where the holes are drilled by previous anglers. If you drill and don't catch anything, move in or out and you'll get there eventually. You should catch a few trout too.
Good luck.
3arabians likes this.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
Any size to the perch or still the 4-8" average?

Not very many 4's but still just the same old 6-8ers.
johnnycake likes this.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.