Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Grouse hunting close to home

21K views 72 replies 25 participants last post by  Packfish 
#1 ·
Looking for a little advise/ insight...
As I am getting ready for my first backcountry elk hunt I have been doing a lot of hiking around the Wasatch. I am wondering if there a areas around Guardsman's, Big Cottonwood, Millcreek Canyon, Lamb's Canyon, East Canyon that I could bring the shotgun with me & maybe get into some grouse while I get in shape for the upcoming elk hunt???

#53 ·
Yes, accurate rifles are interesting, and sometimes I offend an idiot now and then......what's your point?

To the OP.....grouse are in all areas of the Wasatch and while I am not specifically familiar with the area you are asking about, I'm sure that with some persistence you will find a few for the pot. When you do, don't feel bad if you have to shoot them from a tree or on the ground. When I hunted with a dog, she often retreived them before the shot if you know what I mean. With or without a dog, grouse hunting doesn't require any special skills. Just like the British fox hunter, some folks enjoy a lot of unnecessary fanfare. I wonder if Damien wears starched and ironed LL Bean apparel while on the hunt?:grin: Find the birds and fill the bag my friend. Oh, and good luck!----SS

#44 ·
Good News,

We already have a DWR that has a handle on how grouse populations are doing. Thanks though. They have determined bag limits and methods of take. Covered there too. Blue and Ruffed grouse aren't in danger as you seem to be alluding to. A dead bird is a dead bird, whether you shot it with your 10k over under(on the wing of course), or whether I shot it out of a tree with my bow and arrow, it has the same net effect on the population. Heck, you probably kill more grouse in a year than I do in 5. Maybe we should talk about it being a limited resource. I'm sorry you are ashamed to call the rest of us hunters. That's more of a you problem than an us problem though.
Yes, with the current state of the declining mule deer population the DWR has done an excellent job in your sheeple eye's haven't they?
Try to use both hands next time

#45 ·
Just so that you know, I shoot grouse where I find them. It doesn't matter if they are on the ground or in the air.

I actually think that it is unsporting to use a dog. The dog can find them as long as they can smell them. Then the dog tells you where they are hiding. I probably walk past more in a couple of years than you manage to shoot, now if I went to the expense of having a dog I wouldn't have to hike as much. O*--

#48 ·
Just so that you know, I shoot grouse where I find them. It doesn't matter if they are on the ground or in the air.

I actually think that it is unsporting to use a dog. The dog can find them as long as they can smell them. Then the dog tells you where they are hiding. I probably walk past more in a couple of years than you manage to shoot, now if I went to the expense of having a dog I wouldn't have to hike as much. O*--
**** your making this easy. I doubt you would go to the expense of a good bird dog, or the responsibility it would take to raise and properly train. This emphasizes my point. Pull the Utard ******* equation, what else ya got?

#51 · (Edited)
It's called a keyboard bud.
I suspect you were expecting a welfare check? Good show but I'll leave the drama to the expert's, thanks...
BTW, I seen a exit from the freeway today shy of a vagrant begging for, well you get the idea... If you'd like to know thee where's PM me, I'd be happy to share that with you

#61 ·
There is not much I enjoy more than watching a dog work birds. My dogs live for the moment. I see it in the way they spin in circles the moment I step outside with a gun or in my hunting clothes. I guess that's not everybody's thing, and to each their own. Taking my dogs hunting sure adds to their life and our relationship, though. I quit hunting when I didn't have a dog. It just was not fun for me without the dog. But hunting with a dog is not about me. It's an "us" thing.

There are grouse in all of our local mountains. I don't hunt the Salt Lake area and can't offer any specifics there. I can say that if you find an area where quakies meet the pines you're on the right track. Find berries and water in those areas and you're in great grouse country. Hunt early morning and early evening to catch the birds on the ground.

#64 ·
There is not much I enjoy more than watching a dog work birds. My dogs live for the moment. I see it in the way they spin in circles the moment I step outside with a gun or in my hunting clothes. I guess that's not everybody's thing, and to each their own. Taking my dogs hunting sure adds to their life and our relationship, though. I quit hunting when I didn't have a dog. It just was not fun for me without the dog. But hunting with a dog is not about me. It's an "us" thing.

No theres the best thing I have read in awhile- There is no way I would continue to hunt with out a dog. The shooting of the bird is just a small fraction of my enjoyment.
And on the 'D's point- no matter what one does there should be some sort of ethics involved.

#65 · (Edited)
Nice posts gent's.
I probably shouldn't be involved in a public forum as I feel there is disrespect towards the land and the resources which reside there with most. A purist? Maybe... Actually, my concern's lye with freely giving out information to public land with the intent to kill the resources that live there in an open forum. Seem's irresponsible to me. To be realistic none of us own public land, were just just borrowing the land & it's resources for a minimal time. Therefore, it's not ours to freely disperse. Especially in an open forum. A open forum is a great way of inviting misconduct of killing an area out or possibly poaching. However, a person that earn's it, goes through a ritual of hard work and time spent in the pursuit of that gives them a sense of respect for their quarry that will naturally take them to the next level if serious...

Let them earn it

#67 ·
Now that you and Pack give a more non-aggressive and less arrogant approach, I respectfully agree with your opinion. Still, if I do not have a dog, and decide to go hunting, I probably would.
But I don't have a dog, and probably won't.
???
I think I'll just go fishin' So much easier.
Beautiful pic, D.

#68 ·
Absolutely beautiful picture. Thanks for the perspective behind the previous posts. I still disagree with the idea that if someone does it differently than you, it is somehow unethical. However, I agree with you that there is a certain respect for our quarry and nature in general that is often missing. I am guilty of this at times, and definitely need to always keep that in perspective.

Some of my best memories of grouse in particular have nothing to do with hunting them, but rather watching them as they strut and drum in the spring. Incredible to watch. I do respect them, and have worn the soles off my boots to reach the spots I often see them. If I happen across one that I can cleanly take with a bow(in season),I respect it just as much as if it was with a shotshell full of bbs. Just my .02.

Would love to see more pics. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.