Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Finding Chukar?

14K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Airborne 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and look forward to contributing! but i thought I would pick some brains, I am stoked for this years Chukar season however with 1 1/2 seasons under my belt I have been pretty unsuccessful I shot one bird last year! I feel like i hunted hard and explored a lot of new ground probably 15 to 20 days out last season. So my question is when you are hunting a new area what do you look for? and what do you stay away from? I know the basics steep, rocky, lots of cheatgrass and have found a couple coveys this way but are there certain area's you like to focus your efforts on? I have a 1 year old britt that would love to actually get on some birds this year! Thanks for any info you are willing to give!

#3 ·
I look for those things you metioned as well as Chukar droppings and a water source. When people mention water or guzzlers that doesn't mean the birds will be sitting right next to them. Chukars are a ton of fun to hunt, they will test you and your dogs ability every trip. I can't count the times that I have hiked to the top of a steep, nasty mountain and found nothing, only to return to the very bottom and bump a covey of birds. They are devils!

#5 ·
Check the guzzler map just to know where Chukar country is. I never find them near the guzzlers but it's more of a general area thing for scouting New places. I usually wait until it snows, easy to see sign and catch them on south facing areas. But it can take a couple years to figure out even a small area on what exactly the birds like to do and where they wanna be. Keep at it, I had Chukar fever a few years ago but beating myself up on death marches in the duck marsh is much more relaxing than chukar hunting.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone! sounds like i just need to put some more miles on the boots! I do know the location of quite a few guzzler's and was planning on starting this season on the steepest nastiest hills in the general area of them. Yeah i have chukar fever pretty bad I am even considering skipping out on a day of my muzzy deer hunt for opening day of the devil birds!!

#10 ·
Tex I do have a dog but im still behind the eight ball she is my first bird dog and we are both learning a lot!! I knew the Britt comments were going to come at some point bring em on! when I said general area of the guzzlers I meant general area the places I have been looking to start are about a mile away! I have never hunted around them before but this year Im going 100% weenie!

#11 · (Edited)
Askin for help in a public forum is weak in my opinion. Most these fellers have put in a lot hard work to find the bird's they have in the past. So much so that you'll find comment's on other boards about how tight lipped the Utah hunters are about places or basically clues on how to find bird's. Rightfully so. Sure you'll have a few hero's who think they have a clue, ill-advised at it may be. Earn it & you'll understand

#13 ·
I do appreciate all the help guys! I am just getting excited to go and want to talk about it! I was not trying to impose or ask for locations just seeing if there was anything i had not thought about as far as chukar habitat goes. I do understand how hard it is like i said i spent a lot of time and money myself last year and I would have a real hard time giving out specific locations where I did find covey's I was just looking for a better understanding of there habitat to maybe understand them a little better. Only 18 more days so stoked!!

#14 ·
You should do fine with your Brittany. Hell I used my Springer Spaniel Chukar hunting for years, and I guarantee that dog found more Chukars then a lot of dogs out there. Just get out there and hike your butt off and you will learn as you go.

#17 ·
Brendo, everyone has received help at one time or another. If they say they did it on their own..they are lying. Nothing wrong with asking the questions you asked. As far as Brits go, I've seen some nice ones! Just take the pup hunting often and you'll both learn as you go. You have a good idea of what to look for regarding chuks.

Best of luck to you this season!

#21 ·
Britts can be great dogs, mine sure was. I take exception to the statement that nobody does it on their own. I started hunting grouse and chukar on my own in 1983. Al Gore didn't invent the Internet until much later. I just bought a backyard Brittany, took her up into the hills and followed her around. Pretty simple, really.

#22 · (Edited)
I take exception to the statement that nobody does it on their own. I started hunting grouse and chukar on my own in 1983.
No offense intended. I've worn out as much boot leather over the years as anyone. Most of it by myself, even when I was young. But, honestly, *help* came in many forms..some by others mentoring, some in casual discussions, some in the written words of others, and yes, some by my asking questions. I stand by "no one does it on their own".

#28 ·
Britts are good dogs I got a ton of birds with mine back in high school. Don't listen to what airborne says, he's just starting out with his first dog which is still a pup. The foothills around Provo and Orem are full of birds that will give you some closer hunting for your young dog.

#29 ·
You should listen to Birdbow, who hasn't killed a chukar since the 1990s. He has a well worn couch for sitting and he would be more than happy to take you on an internet chukar hunt in those easy walkin foothills, the same foothills that broke my ankle last year :p

This is my 3rd season chukar hunting, second with a dog, hunted half a season last year, killed 42 wild public land chukar, baring any injuries I will kill over 75 this season, guess that makes me a rookie.

If you caring helpers of newbees would go ahead and hotspot I would love it! Please post up some coordinates of good easy to reach chukar populations, I promise I will hunt the crap out of that area until all birds are scattered or killed, will even post up some pics for ya! Funny how all of the guys giving atta boys are not giving away areas to hunt--could it be that they are internet commandos like my good friend Birdbow--perhaps ;-)

I love ya Mike but don't throw stones when living in glass internet houses. I hope your are getting settled in down south.

#32 ·
You should listen to Birdbow, who hasn't killed a chukar since the 1990s. He has a well worn couch for sitting and he would be more than happy to take you on an internet chukar hunt in those easy walkin foothills, the same foothills that broke my ankle last year :p

This is my 3rd season chukar hunting, second with a dog, hunted half a season last year, killed 42 wild public land chukar, baring any injuries I will kill over 75 this season, guess that makes me a rookie.

If you caring helpers of newbees would go ahead and hotspot I would love it! Please post up some coordinates of good easy to reach chukar populations, I promise I will hunt the crap out of that area until all birds are scattered or killed, will even post up some pics for ya! Funny how all of the guys giving atta boys are not giving away areas to hunt--could it be that they are internet commandos like my good friend Birdbow--perhaps ;-)

I love ya Mike but don't throw stones when living in glass internet houses. I hope your are getting settled in down south.
Wow 42 birds. Love to see pics from last year especially if you have landmarks in the background.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.