Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Question

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Admin 
#1 ·
I got an email saying I need to consent to it or im not going to be able to use utahwildlife.net or something like that. WTH is this about? Is it some how spam?

#3 ·
There is a new anti spam law going into effect in Canada.Im not sure yet how its going to effect this forum,maybe one of the smarter mods can help:mrgreen:

#4 ·
Here is a answer from a adminstrator on another site that I am on that is also based north of the border.

"It could be that you were on a Canadian IP at one point so when we pulled the info on who is a Canadian user you came up.

This message is not Spam. If you're a Canadian user on the forum and would like to receive notifications from the forum in the future, please consent to allowing us to send you emails. All Canadian users on the forum have been unsubscribed from their notifications due to this law."

#6 ·
This is what we know so far. From the UWN Support Team:

I am not sure if many of you are aware of this, but Canada is putting in a new anti spam law that will take affect on July 1st 2014. This law s being put in place by the Canadian Government to protect the personal information of Canadian's from being shared online and from being spammed.

Just so you know, we will be sending out an e-mail explaining that under Canadian law we have unsubscribed all Canadian users or any user on a Canadian IP from receiving automated messages. The e-mail will also include instructions on how to re subscribe to said messages if they would like to receive them in the future.

If you would like to find out more information about this new act, please visit the link below.

Thank you

The Community Support Team*

Canada's anti spam legislation

#10 ·
I got him. My guess is it's a marketing guy looking for some free advertising, but I'm not sure. He came on yesterday and had a really odd home page "Utah Wildlife something or other" I couldn't figure out who he was so I temporarily banned him until I found time to do some research and ask the UWN tech team if they know anything.

Name is Holger Runkel from Germany. Found out he is the Marketing Manager for https://www.huntingworldwidemagazine.com/imprint.php

As a member he can get your email address and/or email you if your account settings allow it.

There's nothing wrong with advertisers from an outdoor magazine in Germany joining the UWN. As a matter of fact we welcome it. Thing is these people have to pay a fee to advertise here.

I'm not sure what the rule is for advertisers emailing other members with solicitations. I'll have to check with the UWN owners.

Reactions: Fowlmouth
#13 ·
Looks like the Hunting Worldwide Magazine is a paying advertiser on UWN. They have an advertising banner up on the top of the site page.

No answers from the UWN technical staff yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.