Utah Wildlife Forum banner

explanation for the banned?

7K views 54 replies 20 participants last post by  2full 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if we can get a list of people who have been banned from this forum, and maybe a simple explanation as to why? I think it would be kinda fun to see. :shock:

#2 · (Edited)
I don't think so:mrgreen: To many to list:shock: Unless a mod other than me has 2 or 3 days to do it besides I think it might be against rules, but I don't know for sure. You guys don't realize the amount of spammers we get on a weekly basis and the time it takes to research them.

EDIT: Although I do take great pleasure in banning some one that is trying to sell coupons!!

#3 ·
I don't know of any way to generate a report, but I think you would find it rather uninteresting save a few users. The vast majority of users that are banned tend to be spammers (especially from India) that are trying to act under the guise that they are interested in the Utah sportsman experience and slyly sell you breast augmentations in the process.

The few true members that are banned are always banned for breaking the forum rules (especially making threats, harassment, repeated vulgarity).

I have personally only banned a couple members, and they were all based off of breaking rules.

#4 ·
I don't know of any way to generate a report, but I think you would find it rather uninteresting save a few users. The vast majority of users that are banned tend to be spammers (especially from India) that are trying to act under the guise that they are interested in the Utah sportsman experience and slyly sell you breast augmentations in the process.

The few true members that are banned are always banned for breaking the forum rules (especially making threats, harassment, repeated vulgarity).

I have personally only banned a couple members, and they were all based off of breaking rules.
If you saw me, you would realize I don't need breast augmentation... :shock: Besides nothing special about a piece of plastic filled with silicone.

Reactions: Bax*
#5 ·
I do recall one or two cases where people were banned because they got on the nerves of the "powers that be" rather than for seemingly substantive reasons, but of course that is the prerogative of the site owners.

#11 ·
There is one former member who got banned after four posts. Here are the four posts, quoted exactly:

Post 1: "I am sure he would of bought you a tag....that's just the type of person he is.;-) And I bet you two might of even got along in camp."

Post 2: "The elk will have been pushed hard by the time your hunt rolls around. So I'd think that they will be in the really thick stuff. I'd get up high early...first light early. Hunt the tops nice and slow, maybe you can catch them coming up.

Also don't forget cold weather gear. Its not uncommon to get dumped on that time of year.

Wish I could help more, just not that familiar with that area. Good luck on your hunt. And thanks for yours and your brothers service."

Post 3: "I use a .270 with a 150gr. The only elk I've shot at with it dropped it in its tracks at 90 yards."

Post 4: "I'd think cow calling will be more effective. The bulls are just now rounding up cows it sounds like from other post. Good luck on your upcoming hunt!"

Maybe I am missing something, but all of those posts seemed pretty innocuous to me.

#13 ·
There is one former member who got banned after four posts. Here are the four posts, quoted exactly:

Post 1: "I am sure he would of bought you a tag....that's just the type of person he is.;-) And I bet you two might of even got along in camp."

Post 2: "The elk will have been pushed hard by the time your hunt rolls around. So I'd think that they will be in the really thick stuff. I'd get up high early...first light early. Hunt the tops nice and slow, maybe you can catch them coming up.

Also don't forget cold weather gear. Its not uncommon to get dumped on that time of year.

Wish I could help more, just not that familiar with that area. Good luck on your hunt. And thanks for yours and your brothers service."

Post 3: "I use a .270 with a 150gr. The only elk I've shot at with it dropped it in its tracks at 90 yards."

Post 4: "I'd think cow calling will be more effective. The bulls are just now rounding up cows it sounds like from other post. Good luck on your upcoming hunt!"

Maybe I am missing something, but all of those posts seemed pretty innocuous to me.
But you might of not seen the post that the mods deleted that caused him to be banned.

I am a mod on another forum and quite often the members don't seen half of the post that cause a problem when I ban someone.

The main thing that you don't see is that the mods all see our IP addresses and other possible identifying information when we post. Both of the two accounts referenced were duplicates, there's never a valid reason to have two accounts on a forum.
Unless you have a static IP address your IP will change quite often. Mine changes every few days so just looking at IP addresses don't help along with banning a IP address since someone else will be using it in a few days.

#20 ·
I don't remember the fella's user name right off hand, but I was looking at some old posts a few days ago and came across something that he had posted and it said "banned" under his user name and I thought to myself "I wonder why.. as far as I know he has a long time member that had always been pretty productive on the forum and I don't recall him ever getting out of line"

that's why I asked the original question. thank you to all who have contributed thus far.

Reactions: wyogoob
#33 · (Edited)
Since the Canadians bought out the UWN we've banned, for whatever reason, 2,404 members. I don't know how many we banned under the old owner; thousands, perhaps millions.

I could tear away from my family for a couple hours and count the others for y'all.

I shoulda saved this for the top of the next page but I have to go to the grandkids Christmas concert.

Reactions: GaryFish
#23 ·
It just boggles my mind why one certain individual keeps trying to come on here even though he has been banned. I mean, really, what's the point? Does he not understand that there are ways to catch that type of thing. I am not going to say how it happens because honestly it's comical to watch him create new profiles and try to get on here. He thinks no one is the wiser but in reality he's caught before the ink dries on his first post and those that know it laugh at the continued attempts to fool only himself.

#24 ·
I got banned once. ;)

I think our moderators are a bunch of...

....really nice gentlemen. :mrgreen:

I just don't like when posts are modified by a moderator without any kind of notice to other users (or the original poster) of the modification. All you have to do is add a note "post modified due to ....". :censored:
I also don't like that sometimes bans come with no explanation. There should be some room for communication between the banned and a mod. Heck, even prisoners get 1 phone call.

FWIW -- there is a lot of rule breaking that gets a blind eye turned towards it. Heck, just do some quick searching and reading and you'll find all sorts of swearing, personal attacks, sexual innuendos, etc. Most of the time the mods don't bat an eye. Guess it just all depends on who says it and the context.

:ban:

#25 ·
Heck, just do some quick searching and reading and you'll find all sorts of swearing, personal attacks, sexual innuendos, etc. Most of the time the mods don't bat an eye. Guess it just all depends on who says it and the context.
It really boils down to time. Since we are volunteers, we simply don't have time to read every post. This is where we rely on members reporting posts that violate rules.

There are some instances where I have turned a blind eye as the poster walks in a gray area, but if it is a blatant rule the poster is breaking, I try and address it immediately.

#26 ·
I spend way to much time on here! My wife thinks I'm nuts. You try to read all the posts,not possible, sometimes when you get to that post there is a war going on. We have some members who dislike each other and it just starts to roll down hill. I try and give a warning or will p.m. a member and tell him why I'm editing his post, most of the time I get a good response. Its when I get a negative or ignorant response that I will take some action. Do we get everything? No. Do we try? Yes. We have those who disagree and handle it good then we have those who start bad mouthing and personal attacks. Again I will react to this. This is a real glamorous job:shock: Half the time I go to bed with a headache. I think if you have a problem with someone then take to the p.m.s and don't clutter up the space that can be used for other things. We all have our opinions and should respect each other. Again I volunteer here because it brings the outdoors closer to me as I don't get out as much as I would like. 90% of the members here are fantastic, the other 10%?

#28 ·
I spend way to much time on here! My wife thinks I'm nuts. You try to read all the posts,not possible, sometimes when you get to that post there is a war going on. We have some members who dislike each other and it just starts to roll down hill. I try and give a warning or will p.m. a member and tell him why I'm editing his post, most of the time I get a good response. Its when I get a negative or ignorant response that I will take some action. Do we get everything? No. Do we try? Yes. We have those who disagree and handle it good then we have those who start bad mouthing and personal attacks. Again I will react to this. This is a real glamorous job:shock: Half the time I go to bed with a headache. I think if you have a problem with someone then take to the p.m.s and don't clutter up the space that can be used for other things. We all have our opinions and should respect each other. Again I volunteer her because it brings the outdoors closer to me as I don't get out as much as I would like. 90% of the members here are fantastic, the other 10%?
-_O--_O--_O--_O--_O--_O--_O--O\\__--O\\__--O\\__--O\\__--O\\__-:pop2::pop2::pop2::pop2::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

#32 · (Edited)
Lost you are giving me a headache:mrgreen:
I already have one, I am bored out of my gourd here at work waiting for the CEO to call and discuss one of my problem customers. He was supposed to call 30 minutes ago but of course he can call whenever he pleases even though he is 30 minutes late. We need to send a technician from our India office to Pakistan to resolve the problem and we can't because then the tech will end up on the no fly list and won't be able to come to the US when we need him here. Something about an automatic ban if you go from India to Pakistan then to the US. I don't understand it but evidently someone does.

edit:
Well he finally called over an hour late,,,,great news....I might have to walk away from a customer and tell them to forget it we don't want their business.....but no worries, I'll only be walking away from a $23K commission check...I'm sure I'll understand it's for the greater good, someday....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#37 ·
I know that on the data base on a forum that I am a mod on that there are around 200 bans a day for a while done on spammer and bogus accounts that the forum software catches before anyone even sees them.

#52 ·
Hi guys,

In regards to the spam issue; I looked at the backend and noticed that the system was not scanning new registers' IP addresses against the banned IP list that gets logged when One Touch Ban and Cleaning. I have enabled that function and hopefully that will help pick up a couple more spammers.

~Sheena

#53 ·
Hi guys,

In regards to the spam issue; I looked at the backend and noticed that the system was not scanning new registers' IP addresses against the banned IP list that gets logged when One Touch Ban and Cleaning. I have enabled that function and hopefully that will help pick up a couple more spammers.

~Sheena
Thanks!

Reactions: Bax*
#55 ·
I always told my girls:

I want to be a grandpa, but I'm not in any hurry to get there.

Now I will have to start telling my grandkids that I am not in a hurry to be
a great grandpa.................:shock:

My oldest grand daughter will be 12 next month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.