»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,651
Threads: 57,231
Welcome to our newest member, mack2017

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Bear Hunt

Well I finally got around to posting about my first black bear hunt! My brother is heading to Mexico on a mission for two years, so my brothers and stepdad and I thought it'd be fun to do an out of state hunt together. We ended up going to Star Valley, WY and hunting with 5k Outfitters. I had been planning for quite a while, so I was excited to have the chance to develop a bear load for my 270 WSM. I bought some 140 gr. Accubonds and started shooting. When I saw this group at 100 yards, I was pretty confident I had found the right recipe:
Click image for larger version

Name:	bear1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	13242

The bears in Star Valley have been a little slow coming out this year, but there were some pictures of good bears hitting the bait sites throughout the night. I only had a few days to hunt and met up with them half way through their hunt. It had been a tough couple of days for my brothers as the bears just weren't coming out. We were hunting some pretty awesome country:

Name:	bear5.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	13210

I headed out my first morning to sit over a bait site. I really enjoy being able to hunt all day and hike around, but sitting over a bait site all day had to have been one of the hardest things I've done. The forest was fairly dense, so there wasn't much to look at all day beside the bait barrel 94 yards away:

Name:	bear2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	13218

We sat down at the site at 10:30 and I'll fast forward towards the end of the evening. We finally had a pine martin start messing around at the bait site. The guide I was with thought that was a good sign- they've had pics of him before and typically a bear would follow. After watching him for about 20 minutes, the pine martin took off. We both kept watching the barrel when I saw a bear's head move into my view! Game on and bring on the adrenaline! A big, cinnamon sow came into the site and was really enjoying the bait. After confirming no cubs were with her, I waited eagerly for a nice broadside shot. It seemed like forever (actually it was probably only 2 minutes) for her to turn broadside to me. My Tikka 270 WSM barked and we heard her crash only a few seconds later. I couldn't stop shaking for about 15 minutes after the shot. What a rush!

Without and cell service and with darkness approaching quickly, we hiked out of the canyon and got to the truck an hour later. I knew she was down for good and couldn't wait to retrieve her. The outfitters horses had other plans however (a gate in the pasture somehow was opened, so catching them was a nightmare), so I had to wait patiently until the morning to retrieve the bear.

Morning came and we saddled up quickly to ride into the bait site. We found the sow piled up only 30 yards from the bait site. The Accubond went right behind her shoulder and created massive shock. No wonder why she didn't make it too far. I was hoping I'd run into a big boar, but I couldn't be more happy. She had beautiful fur and was in great shape (roughly 3 or more inches of fat on her).

Name:	bear3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	13226

Name:	bear4.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	13234

The game warden estimated her to be at least 4 years old and thought she could be upwards of 5 or 6 years. He collected a couple molars and said I'll receive an email once they determine her actual age.
waspocrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry about the pic size in the post... still figuring this new format out!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats awesome man! way to be
outdoorser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome, how did the rest of your family do? Looks like a good size bear for a 4-5 year old sow. I shot a 7-8 year old sow in Montana last year and it looks significantly smaller than your. Great work!!
N8ON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys! It was a blast. I was the only one to put a tag on a bear - one of my brothers had a big boar come in, but the boar didn't offer a good shot... The outfitter was great and my brothers are headed out to give it one last try sometime next week.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.