Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Wyoming Pronghorn

7K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  MuscleWhitefish 
#1 ·
Well I am in on the Wyoming Pronghorn draw! Fingers crossed my terrible draw luck doesn't find it's way across the border (0/5 this year).

I don't plan on hunting bucks because I applied for a tougher unit for buck, with no easy to draw units as backups (95,94,99). I did this because I will be helping out on a LE Pronghorn hunt and a OIL Moose hunt this year in Utah, so I don't plan on having tons of time to hunt in Wyoming. Therefore, if I get super lucky to draw a trophy buck unit with 1 point, then I will make time to focus on that. If not, no big deal.

I did apply for doe/fawn tag in unit 99, type 7. I should be able to draw that unit. It will be tougher due to lack of public land, but I will be prepared. If I draw, I plan on purchasing OnX Maps and also contacting a few of the private landholders. I chose this area because it is close to home, and has good draw odds. I can justify a few Saturday trips throughout the season. I just want to hunt. Fingers crossed!

Last year was my first year applying for Wyoming, and if I remember right, they released the draw results early. Am I wrong? Hopefully they do that again. I'd love to get my Wyoming results prior to the Utah antlerless deadline.

What did you guys apply for, and do you think you will draw?

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't think we will see draw results out of Wyoming till the 20th.
10am.

I went special antelope, type 1 , unit 59, 3 points..
Also put both boys in antelope 59 regular draw. Oldest has 5 points, might draw.
Put the youngest in for type 6 doe as-well, same unit, might draw..............

AND,
I also threw max points (10 ) at unit 102 deer....( same area as 59 antelope )
Type 1 Special permit...................................

Pretty good chance we will be hunting Wyoming.

#3 ·
After a LE and a OIAL tag were drawn by family members, I decided I'd just buy points in Wyoming this year (I'll admit I was stupid enough to throw $30 into the Super Tag drawings for OIAL-type species though). I appreciate that Wyoming gives me until October to buy bonus points. It's nice to spread the expenses of application season out throughout the year.

I'll definitely buy pronghorn points, and probably one of either moose/sheep/deer/elk. I'm still trying to figure out how stupid it would be to start buying moose/sheep points there. The thought of paying those point fees for decades isn't incredibly appealing...

Good luck to those in the draw.

#7 ·
I wasn't going to put in for them this year. But after seeing how green it is, and how much moisture they have been getting has made me change my mind. Went for unit 57 type 1 with 9 points.
Good choice. I would die to have a 57 type 1 tag.

Residents don't have preference points for antelope, we're "luck of the draw" so my best chance to get a 57 type 1 antelope tag would be to move out of state and build up preference points.

#5 · (Edited)
I had 59 a couple years ago......absolute blast of a hunt. Great area for the kids. I killed an average 13.5 incher after looking over a couple hundred. Nice antelope a-plenty.......above average antelope......very difficult to find. Good luck to you and the boys. I've got some pretty good camp spot ideas if you don't already have one.----SS

Attachments

#6 ·
My brother and I applied for unit 99 buck antelope tags. He did region g for deer too. I'm waiting until next year to get some more scouting info under the belt before I do deer. Now the question is... Do I buy points for Wyoming general elk draw or go to Idaho and do their general elk for next year?

#21 ·
Wyoming has $1,500.00 out of my account.

Hope they keep all of it!

Dieing for Tuesday to get here.
Need to get my fall schedule finalized.

#22 ·
Tomorrow's Christmas....:grin:

HOPEFULLY....;-)

#42 ·
A Buck and 2 Does tags for me in antelope.

General Deer and Elk

Late Cow Elk Tag for me.

Good grief, me too. I ain't been this excited since the hogs ate my cousin Suzie....uh...What was I thinking when I applied for all this stuff?

I'm gonna go cut my wrists.

#38 ·
You will be able to find a buck to shoot on public and should have a decent chance at a 13" buck. There is enough BLM checkerboard land along altamont and peidmont roads that there will be goats on the public. If they are off of public, watch them for a while until they move onto public and go for them. There is also a couple HMAs like coyote creek to check. It might take more than 2 hours to get it done, but shouldn't take more than a couple days. I wish I had that tag, fun hunt for sure.

My over the counter spots aren't over the counter anymore. Was going to hunt this fall, but guess I will buy and point and draw it next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.