» Stats
Members: 11,610
Threads: 57,041
Welcome to our newest member, Delta088
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheHunted
  • 1 Post By elkantlers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2017 Bear Hunt

So I drew a LE bear tag and I've been collecting bait for what seems like forever. Finally started getting that bait together to be placed on the mountain. I can start baiting Saturday. I've read a lot of posts on here giving information on what to use. I've got bread soaked with molasses, sweet feed soaked in syrup, grease, popcorn, bear sucker on a rope, went through our pantry and took everything my wife allowed me too .

Im hoping to get it up on the mountain Saturday but may be unable to due to the road being closed for winter. Anyone know when they start opening mountain pass roads?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1616_1495135232298.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	110730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1617_1495135252832.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	110738  
35whelen likes this.
TheHunted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am not sure about other areas but I know they usually have the gate up American Fork canyon open by Memorial Day.

What unit did you draw?
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wasatch. AF canyon is the one. So hopefully open by the 29th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

There's a good chance that the roads may be closed longer than normal this year from the deep snowpack. To many "Ideates" try to take a vehicle across a road that has deep drifts, or soft dirt and get stuck. The Forest service doesn't want to be calling search and rescue to recover someone, or there vehicles.
I know they drive the road during the week to assess the conditions. If they cant drive there truck across the roads in two wheel drive, they wont open the road.This last storm didn't help any either.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Molasses soaked bread is THE ticket. Bears love, love, love it.

They open the Alpine Loop every Memorial Day weekend. UDOT trucks have been up there working on it recently, so I'm guessing it will be ready to go on May 26.
AF CYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

The sooner you start baiting, the more bait you have to have. My personal opinion is 5 days is plenty enough time to get bears on a bait. The other thing about baiting two weeks early is that the dog hunters can come along a kill the bears you worked hard to pull into your bait area. If your baits are very close to the road, I would be careful starting too early.
Kevin D likes this.
elkantlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkantlers View Post
The sooner you start baiting, the more bait you have to have. My personal opinion is 5 days is plenty enough time to get bears on a bait. The other thing about baiting two weeks early is that the dog hunters can come along a kill the bears you worked hard to pull into your bait area. If your baits are very close to the road, I would be careful starting too early.
That's a good thought. I forgot about the harvest objective going on in the unit. Maybe it's not such a bad thing if the road stays closed longer. And yes my bait sites are relatively close to the road albeit both are in completely different areas. Can't wait to get it all started. Im hoping to post up pics of my hunt.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

You can call the Ranger Station. Just google it. When I called they said the snowpack was 4-5 feet still, which was about 2 weeks about before that last storm came in. I go fishing up in silver lake res and would like it open too. But it looks like not before Memorial to say the earliest.
mpjeffnorton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Owner NockandStalk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunted View Post
So I drew a LE bear tag and I've been collecting bait for what seems like forever. Finally started getting that bait together to be placed on the mountain. I can start baiting Saturday. I've read a lot of posts on here giving information on what to use. I've got bread soaked with molasses, sweet feed soaked in syrup, grease, popcorn, bear sucker on a rope, went through our pantry and took everything my wife allowed me too .

Im hoping to get it up on the mountain Saturday but may be unable to due to the road being closed for winter. Anyone know when they start opening mountain pass roads?
Where did you get your molasses?

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.