> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,598
Threads: 56,997
Welcome to our newest member, TurkeyThug
Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rattlers?

Just looking for some slithery monster stories. I had gone my entire life having never seen a rattlesnake but the last couple of years I have really stepped up my efforts and have had quite a few run-in's. I should also mention that I am terrified of snakes and I hear a rattle and my spine feels like it is being ripped from my body. Anyway, how often are you guys seeing rattlers in the hills? I'm trying real hard to get over it because it just is what it is and I know very few people get bitten in comparison to how many people are out laying down footprints and thought this might be a fun story board while we wait for CC hits!
robiland likes this.

Last edited by Bax*; 05-03-2017 at 09:13 AM.
huntn30inchers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you think rattlers are fun. You should see cotton mouths. When I'm in cotton mouth country I've seen as many as 20 a day and they don't rattle.

As far as rattlers go I see one or two a year.

When I'm in other countries I worry about snakes more because I see them alot more and they are usually more deadly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
swbuckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have been hunting in Arizona for javelina for over 25 years now and up until about 11 years ago I never did see a snake. Perhaps hunting in February had something to do with it but then it all changed.

I was tracking a javelina on the final day of the hunt one year and walked around a small hill with my eyes on the tracks. I then saw a nice 5' diamondback. He had just shed his skin and the markings were very nice and I have always wanted one but he was too quick. He started to go under a large rock and I figured that I could just grab his tail and pull him out. I'm glad that I didn't, there were two other snakes coiled up right where he went under and I never did see them. I then got on the radio and called a friend to come see what I had found and as he was headed towards me I figured that I better take a look around and see what was there. From where I was standing I counted no less than 7 other snakes and then when I looked real close into the den I counted 15 heads. I slowly backed out of that area.

Over the next 11 or so years I have gone back into that den site at least once each year. Some years we don't see a thing depending on the temperatures and then other years they are all over the place. I still haven't killed one of them yet for my wall. We even took a herpetologist from the University of Arizona into it one year so that he could do a study of them but he forgot how to find the den and has never asked us to show us the way back in.

When I was in South Africa one of the outfitters dogs had killed a cape cobra the day before we got there but in over 3 weeks we never did see a snake and we were in some prime country for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2060004_1.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	109890   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2060002_1.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	109906   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2170002.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	109922   Click image for larger version

Name:	snake.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	109930  

Last edited by Critter; 05-02-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Critter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was 16 and quail hunting by Perris Lake Ca. I had just flushed a covey into some rocks ahead of me. I stepped up on a big flat boulder and then heard what I thought was a bobcat hiss! I stepped back off the rock with my right foot and felt something hit it. I looked down and there was a very large rattler, attached to my boot. Seems the fangs were caught in the laces somehow. The rest of the Snake had coiled around my left foot. I panicked and pointed the shotgun at the snakes head, still attached to my boot, and was truly going to shoot it when I came to my senses. I started kicking my legs a bit and soon had the snake land just ahead of me. I shot him there and had bb's blow back on me from the rocks around. Well I found about a six inch piece of the tail with the rattles attached. Picked that up and as I did I noticed a big wet spot on my boot. I got the boot off as quick as I could, figuring the wet spot to be venom. Which it turned out to be. The fangs never penetrated the boot. Hunting quail had lost its fun for the day and I was walking back to the parking lot with only one boot on. A park ranger/warden pops out of the brush part way back to my truck. Was quite upset with me for having shot the snake, seems they were protected. But after hearing the whole story and showing him the the boot and tail of the snake he calmed down. It was then that we noticed I had a red welt on my foot where the wet spot of venom was. Seems the venom can penetrate the skin? Anyway an ambulance was called and they came to the parking lot and checked me out. By which time the red welt was greatly reduce. I was released finally and went home with a note from the ranger/warden. Kind of an eventful day! Still have the rattles I believe in an old scrape book.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

There's a place in north utah county that has an astounding number of rattlers. I'd see one minimally 3 times a week. Whats amusing is they are bulldozing in a brand new subdivision right in that exact spot. I know alot of the lots are already sold... wonder if the family's about to move in have any idea what they are signing up for.

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I spent the summer of my high school junior year in the Philippines visiting my grandparents. One day we were heading to the coast to snorkel, I think the area was called Batangus. We are heading down a dirt road and traffic is stopped because there is a boa on the road that had just swallowed some large critter, pig or small cow, and it was trying to digest. People finally get sick of waiting for the snake to complete his lunch so they just drive over the top of the snake. It didn't seem to hurt the snake. It was like a speed bump of solid muscle.
SCtransplant likes this.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

I do not do snakes, and have been fortunate to not run into many while out in the hills. The only time I have heard/seen one I was walking along the river side trail up Logan Canyon and my (then) 3 old daughter was walking a step ahead of me when all the sudden I heard the rattle just off the side of the trail in the brush. I moved her pretty quickly out of the way, and no one was hurt.
Idratherbehunting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Fishing Salina Creek, you can hear the buzz worms all around you in some areas around the highway. I fished next to 2 smaller ones for about 10 minutes before I realized what that sound was. They were maybe 8 feet away. And just across the road, I almost stepped on one that was at least 5 feet long. I took off running, lost the top of my pole, and haven't gone back.

My grandpa used to tell us growing up in Salina, they used to get some nylon stockings and put them around a stick. They'd bite and they'd pull out their teeth. Not entirely sure how true that is, but it's his story.
JuniorPre 360 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
West side Utah Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbuckmaster View Post
If you think rattlers are fun. You should see cotton mouths. When I'm in cotton mouth country I've seen as many as 20 a day and they don't rattle.

As far as rattlers go I see one or two a year.

When I'm in other countries I worry about snakes more because I see them alot more and they are usually more deadly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
20 cottonmouths in a day....man slow day! I've seen that many or more at one time at our fish cleaning dock. Used to slowly motor up and down the bayou's shooting them and usually killed more than that per hour. Yeah it was loaded where I grew up. Nothing like a 4' long cottonmouth as big around as your arm to get your attention. We used to catch them as kids and kill them with stick sometimes. Had one swim between my legs crawfishing once and I had on shorts. That's the only time I got a little nervous with one. Probably killed well over 1,000 in my lifetime.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have never run into a rattler out in the hills. as a kid we had a few baby ratterlers get into our house one year when the next door lot was getting built on but that was it.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.