> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,646
Threads: 57,215
Welcome to our newest member, Anglers
Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Owner NockandStalk.com

Default Need Help (Bear Hunting)

Hey everybody, I was lucky enough to draw my very first bear tag this year. It is the summer hunt over bait and I have no idea what I am doing. But I am willing to learn. I have a few questions and if someone could help me answer them I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
1. Can I use a Barrel to hold bait at the stand?
2. Can I gut and skin the bear and just leave the sex organs for identification?
3. Can I carry a side arm while I re-bait?
4. Can I use yellow perch from fish lake as bait?
5. Can I carry a bow and a rifle at the same time while I was hunting?

Any help would be great.
wyogoob likes this.
Cowboy145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the site!

I drew a bear tag in 2015 and had a great time! I was in your same boat. I had never been bear hunting before and knew I had a ton to learn.

My first suggestion for you is to read the proclamation. All of your questions can be answered in the proclamation and that should be your go to source for information about the rules/laws of bear hunting.

Second suggestion would be to use the search function on this site and research some of the past posts about bear hunting. There have been some good ones and you can learn a ton by just reading those posts. It will also give you an idea of some people you could reach out to if you have specific questions. You can even send PM's to those people and ask specific questions. All the people I did this with were more than willing to help out and they provided me with great information about bear hunting.

After that, you should have some questions that can't be answered by the proclamation that you could post on here. I think if you did that you would have a better chance of getting some good replies.

And most importantly, make sure to post about your hunt and other hunts as well. People are more likely to open up when they see you contributing to the forum and not just showing up to ask for help.

Hope that Helps!
turkinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Owner NockandStalk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinator View Post
Welcome to the site!

I drew a bear tag in 2015 and had a great time! I was in your same boat. I had never been bear hunting before and knew I had a ton to learn.

My first suggestion for you is to read the proclamation. All of your questions can be answered in the proclamation and that should be your go to source for information about the rules/laws of bear hunting.

Second suggestion would be to use the search function on this site and research some of the past posts about bear hunting. There have been some good ones and you can learn a ton by just reading those posts. It will also give you an idea of some people you could reach out to if you have specific questions. You can even send PM's to those people and ask specific questions. All the people I did this with were more than willing to help out and they provided me with great information about bear hunting.

After that, you should have some questions that can't be answered by the proclamation that you could post on here. I think if you did that you would have a better chance of getting some good replies.

And most importantly, make sure to post about your hunt and other hunts as well. People are more likely to open up when they see you contributing to the forum and not just showing up to ask for help.

Hope that Helps!
Hey Thank you, Ill start looking into older post.
The proclamation is a little unclear on my questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats Cowboy145 on the tag!! What unit did you draw? I have a multi-season tag for the Nebo unit so I will also be baiting in the summer.

Here are some answers to your initial questions and references to the proclamation page to help you:

1. Can I use a Barrel to hold bait at the stand? Short answer is NO - bait cannot be contained in anything metal, see page 23-24 of of the 2017 Utah Black Bear Guidebook

2. Can I gut and skin the bear and just leave the sex organs for identification? Yes evidence of the bear's sex must remain attached to the bear's carcass or pelt until a division employee checks the bear & attaches a permanent tag (report kill within 48 hours of actual kill). See page 26 of guidebook

3. Can I carry a side arm while I re-bait? Yes - 2nd amendment right, not sure it says anything about this in the guidebook. This could get sticky though if you shot at or killed a bear when your hunt was not open since you can start baiting May 20th but not actually hunt until June 3rd. Just be careful!!

4. Can I use yellow perch from fish lake as bait? See page 24 - You may use nongame fish as bait, except fish listed as prohibited in Utah Admin. Rule
R657-13. You may not use any other species of protected wildlife as bait. I am honestly not sure if yellow perch are considered non-game or not - you will have to do some more research on that by calling a division office or looking in the fishing guidebook.

5. Can I carry a bow and a rifle at the same time while I was hunting? Because your summer hunt is an "Any Weapon" hunt without dogs, you can carry and hunt with a firearm and/or a bow. Also see pages 20-21 for legal firearms and equipment use during the hunt.

Good luck and have fun - this will be my first time with a tag for bear but I have been part of other hunts. It is a blast and I know I am very excited for my hunt!!

If you don't know already, you will have to register your bait stations that you plan to bait from with the DWR (you can have up to 2 stations). See page 24 in the guidebook for instructions on registering your bait. Jump on this soon if you haven't already done it as the registration period opened on April 3rd.

If I can answer any other questions or be of help to you, let me know.
elkhunterUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Owner NockandStalk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunterUT View Post
Congrats Cowboy145 on the tag!! What unit did you draw? I have a multi-season tag for the Nebo unit so I will also be baiting in the summer.

Here are some answers to your initial questions and references to the proclamation page to help you:

1. Can I use a Barrel to hold bait at the stand? Short answer is NO - bait cannot be contained in anything metal, see page 23-24 of of the 2017 Utah Black Bear Guidebook

2. Can I gut and skin the bear and just leave the sex organs for identification? Yes evidence of the bear's sex must remain attached to the bear's carcass or pelt until a division employee checks the bear & attaches a permanent tag (report kill within 48 hours of actual kill). See page 26 of guidebook

3. Can I carry a side arm while I re-bait? Yes - 2nd amendment right, not sure it says anything about this in the guidebook. This could get sticky though if you shot at or killed a bear when your hunt was not open since you can start baiting May 20th but not actually hunt until June 3rd. Just be careful!!

4. Can I use yellow perch from fish lake as bait? See page 24 - You may use nongame fish as bait, except fish listed as prohibited in Utah Admin. Rule
R657-13. You may not use any other species of protected wildlife as bait. I am honestly not sure if yellow perch are considered non-game or not - you will have to do some more research on that by calling a division office or looking in the fishing guidebook.

5. Can I carry a bow and a rifle at the same time while I was hunting? Because your summer hunt is an "Any Weapon" hunt without dogs, you can carry and hunt with a firearm and/or a bow. Also see pages 20-21 for legal firearms and equipment use during the hunt.

Good luck and have fun - this will be my first time with a tag for bear but I have been part of other hunts. It is a blast and I know I am very excited for my hunt!!

If you don't know already, you will have to register your bait stations that you plan to bait from with the DWR (you can have up to 2 stations). See page 24 in the guidebook for instructions on registering your bait. Jump on this soon if you haven't already done it as the registration period opened on April 3rd.

If I can answer any other questions or be of help to you, let me know.
Hey thank you so much for your input. I drew the Fish Lake tag.
So as for the the Perch, I found some info on pg 12 of the fishing proc. But it does not say for like bear bait wise. Then on pg 23 it says things about you CAN just through them away. (If they are from fish lake) However on pg 27 they say it is a game fish. (can't be wasted)

But I will check with an officer first.

Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Owner NockandStalk.com

Oh I have another one.

Can I start using scents now? or before I start Baiting? Like Honey, or black lickorish smell, or vanilla?

Last edited by Cowboy145; 04-13-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy145 View Post
Can I start using sense now? or before I start Baiting? Like Honey, or black lickorish smell, or vanilla?
Using sense is highly recommended - like common sense or the other five senses.

As far as scents go, I believe they are in the category of baits/attractants and can't be used until the baiting season opens for your tag.
longbow and 3arabians like this.
CPAjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Having not really looked into it, I would imagine the using perch as bait exception in the fishing proclamation is only as bait for fishing activities.
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Owner NockandStalk.com

Thanks for all the input guys, learning lots here.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy145 View Post
Oh I have another one.

Can I start using scents now? or before I start Baiting? Like Honey, or black lickorish smell, or vanilla?
I wouldn't use scents until you have bait in the area--you don't want them to come in and find no food. As far as legality, I don't know on that one.

Bears love the smell of anise, beaver castor, bananas, butterscotch and other sweet flavors.
AF CYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
baiting, bear, hunting, skinning, treestand

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.