> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,520
Threads: 56,720
Welcome to our newest member, sshuntn
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bear advice

Well I have a pending charge for bear and this will be a first for me. It is a Beaver tag and I drew a lot sooner than I was expecting. So if anyone's has any tips or information I would really appreciate it. I don't really know where to begin with this one I drew about 5 years before I was expecting. It's the summer bait season. PM me if you can help any, thanks in advance.
Huge29 likes this.
#1DEER 1-I is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congrats! Start collecting old doughnuts. You're gonna have fun!------SS
#1DEER 1-I likes this.
Springville Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springville Shooter View Post
Congrats! Start collecting old doughnuts. You're gonna have fun!------SS
Have you hunted for bear here SS?
#1DEER 1-I is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

sent you a PM
elkantlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago except I drew a Wasatch tag. I had never hunted bear before and it was a steep learning curve, but it was also a ton of fun! I'm not an expert by any means, but I can share a few things I learned from my hunt.

- Do as much research on UWN as you can. There are a ton of great posts about bear hunts and bear hunting on here. There are also some great guys that have a ton of knowledge on bear hunting

- After you do some research, reach out to some of the people that have posted about bear hunting. Ask them specific questions and/or advice. I did this and got some great help.

- First thing you'll need to decide is where to put your bait sites. After you do some research and reach out to some bear experts it should help you decide where to place your sites. Running bait sites is a ton of work. I lucked out and had bears hitting my first bait site and never had a chance to get my second one set up.

- Last piece of advice is to start stocking up on bait and figuring out where you can get bait for cheap. If you get a few bears hitting your bait, they will go through it in a hurry. A few ideas for bait/scents: Dog food covered in syrup, honey, or old fry oil (I would go to IFA/Cal Ranch etc and ask if they have any ripped bags of dog food or livestock grains that they will sell you for cheap). Old donuts/bread. Dead fish or other dead critters. Bacon grease. Honey burns. Anise oil. Bear suckers. Comercial bear bombs/attractants.

That's just a few things to get you started. If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM and I will try and answer them the best I can. Make sure to start a thread and take lots of pictures to keep us updated on how the hunt goes!

Good luck and have fun!
#1DEER 1-I, Huge29 and elkantlers like this.

Last edited by turkinator; 03-09-2017 at 09:42 AM.
turkinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

^^^^
A lot of good info in that last post.

I would second that baiting is a lot of work. One thing I would say is don't over think it. Find a good pine canyon with water and put your bait in a good place for you to get a shot. If there are bears in the area they will find your bait. Put out lots of stink and they will come to you. You don't need to be a mile from the road either. Make it as easy for yourself as possible and find someplace close. We had one bait 121yds from a mountain road. We would literally watch bears on the bait as sideXside's went by.
elkantlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Popcorn mixed with Jell-O makes good bate too. Its fairly cheap to make (you can eat it) LOL and its lightweight.

Hit up your local bakery, food stores, and see if they will set aside old cakes, etc. (Most all the bread goes to the Pig farmer) I did this, and I had to buy more coolers to carry the "goodies".

It's not so much as to what you use for bait, but keeping the station FULL !!
johnnycake likes this.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post
Popcorn mixed with Jell-O makes good bate too. Its fairly cheap to make (you can eat it) LOL and its lightweight.

Hit up your local bakery, food stores, and see if they will set aside old cakes, etc. (Most all the bread goes to the Pig farmer) I did this, and I had to buy more coolers to carry the "goodies".

It's not so much as to what you use for bait, but keeping the station FULL !!
agreed, we also hit up a few KFCs and got used frier grease, the other thing to look at would be a bear sucker, google it, imagine a giant sucker wrapped up in a number ten can or so chained to a tree. the nice thing is that if the bait does get all eaten before you can get back the sucker can keep them interested as they can't consume it quickly.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
agreed, we also hit up a few KFCs and got used frier grease, the other thing to look at would be a bear sucker, google it, imagine a giant sucker wrapped up in a number ten can or so chained to a tree. the nice thing is that if the bait does get all eaten before you can get back the sucker can keep them interested as they can't consume it quickly.
Might wanna figure out a different way to keep them around.

From the bear guidebook.
Quote:
Bait may not be contained in—nor can it include—any metal, glass, porcelain, plastic, cardboard or paper. The bait station must be marked with a sign provided by the Division and posted within 10 feet of the bait.

<{{{{{°>

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion."
— Thomas Jefferson
Fishrmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrmn View Post
Might wanna figure out a different way to keep them around.

From the bear guidebook.

<{{{{{°>
agreed. I was hunting them out of state. did not realize utah did not allow that. good catch. some people will pul them out of the container and hang them up so the bear has to stretch up and lick the sucker.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.