Members: 11,603
Threads: 57,025
Welcome to our newest member, Beanus
View Poll Results: Fall or Spring Archery
Fall 2 25.00%
Spring 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which Bear Hunt

I would like everyone's opinion on what would be the better option for an archery bear hunt. I will do it in a poll and if you don't mind post your opinion why. I have been applying for the fall hunt but am beginning to second guess my choice.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Which Bear Hunt

I vote spring because there is less competition in the mountains, and I prefer to hunt elk in the fall rather than bears! Good luck to you!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Which Bear Hunt

I think it is up to the individual. Kind of depends on what type of experience you want to have. I understand that bears are a lot more active in the fall hunt and the fall is better if you use dogs. Utah's spring hunt starts too early and the majority of the bears don't come out of the dens until the second half of the season. I to like the spring because there is less people traffic in the woods and spring is not conflicting with the deer and elk hunts. Fall bears are going to be heavier than spring bears and I believe their coats are heavier in the spring as they come out of the den and before they rub. When the spring season starts a lot of the forest gates are still closed and I found it more limiting as to where I could hunt wondering when the next storm would dump snow and when I would be able to access my registered bait sites.
For me personally I will only go in the spring but don't get too excited on opening day because nothing starts to happen until early May (for me anyway). I also need to mention that I have only been on 2 bear hunts and both were this spring. I am not an expert at bear hunting by no means. My friend took her bear with hounds and a rifle, I took mine over bait with a bow and I think the baiting was a lot more enjoyable. Baiting was a lot more work but that made the end result that much more rewarding.
To each his own.
Kevlar
Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.