Utah Wildlife Forum banner

When will we accept WOLVES are here?

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  redleg 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Who doesn't accept that there are wolves here? This is not the first confirmed wolf sighting in Utah. We've known this for years.

These dudes are honest fellers. I have asked myself a few times since reading this article earlier if I would have called it in to the authorities the same way they did. I don't have an answer yet.

#3 ·
Who doesn't accept that there are wolves here? This is not the first confirmed wolf sighting in Utah. We've known this for years.

These dudes are honest fellers. I have asked myself a few times since reading this article earlier if I would have called it in to the authorities the same way they did. I don't have an answer yet.
I wonder if they would've called it in if it didn't have a neck collar around it?

#8 ·
The UDWR hoped there wouldn't be verified wolves in Utah because the Feds will step in for the management. Of course they knew there were wolves here, but they didn't have physical proof until this one (outside the Northern management area which had confirmed wolves there a decade ago). I'd guess it won't be the UDWR who writes the ticket, but it would be the Fish and Wildlife Service.....

The UDWR doesn't have the final say for wildlife management issues in our State, even though there are many who would have us believe otherwise.

#9 ·
I know this won't go over well with some of you but I like wolves. I think they have a place in the west. I love to see them in the wild. I love to hear their calls at night. I want to hunt them again sometime. They have a place in our outdoors. Don't get me wrong, I want them managed but I think there's a nitch for them too.
I'm no biologist. It's just my opinion and I can understand if you disagree.

#11 · (Edited)
Wolves may be cool, but if they get going you can say good-by to your deer and elk herds.
They are outstanding hunters, and have NO natural predators to keep them in check.
There is no such thing as "a few wolves".
Don't even want to get into what they will do to the cattle and sheep in the area.

Just saying...........

#12 ·
Wolves may be cool, but if they get going you can say good-by to your deer and elk herds. This can be true. I watched two of my favorite Idaho elk areas go to pot after the wolves were introduced. Was it he wolves fault? I think it was but I'm not sure.
They are outstanding hunters, and have NO natural predators to keep them in check.
There is no such thing as "a few wolves".
Don't even want to get into what they will do the cattle and sheep in the area.

Just saying...........
You're right, wolves are awesome and efficient predators. I've tried many times to call one in. I've had them answer but never saw one come into a call. The only one I killed was an incidental I saw during a moose hunt. So.....I wonder if a registration hunt would be the answer. Give tags out for a small fee to anyone who has a big game licence and when the quota is met, close the wolf season. There are a ton of hunters out during the fall. I can't imagine a few wolves not getting killed every year.
I don't know if it would work. I'll have to look into other states/provinces and see how they do it.

#15 ·
Wolves were exterminated from the state once, so there is little doubt in my mind that their numbers could be held down, or even brought to zero if that's what the powers that be want.

I don't think wolves are a large scale threat to man or beast, though there would be some degree of risk of wolf attack to any individual elk, deer, rabbit, human, whatever.

#17 ·
Wolves are great hunters YES!!! They will kill Elk, and Deer. As I remember, the DWR had the same idea to eradicate the Elk population on the Wasatch, and Wasatch West with an unlimited number of Cow permits this year. Yes, there are Wolves in Utah. Just didn't think they had a chair on a committee. -O,-:-x

#18 ·
The DWR has known there are wolves here for a long time. The longer they keep their mouth shut the longer they will not be protected. Smart thinking in my opinion. Wolves kill for fun, coyotes kill to eat.
In my opinion if you pay for a wolf tag you're throwing your money away. S.S.S. (Shoot, Shovel, Shut UP)

#22 ·
Hey, McFly, Hello, Hello McFly. Dumb huh? To each there own I guess. Let me ask you this.......Are you a person that thinks for themselves, and voices there own opinion? Do you believe what your being told, or do you actually investigate for yourself?

The deer population is lower now than it was in the 80s. We've had two years of a 'bad winter' sense then. Now you tell me why is the deer population lower now?

The Elk population is better now though! IMO if the State continues to sale an 'unlimited ' number of Cow Elk tags, they will soon dwindle as the Deer have.

#25 ·
The Utah board of big game control was originally called the board of elk control. It's mission was to elininate elk that were compeating with cattle for graze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.