»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 8,522
Threads: 46,615
Welcome to our newest member, EBallinge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default freezer life of wild game??

how long would you think frozen wild game would last before thinking about discarding it?? I know a lot has to deal with proper packaging,, mine isn't vacuum sealed or anything. its wrapped tight in plastic wrap and then packaged in butcher paper. just curious about the average time frame. I don't like eating anything past a year but just curious.
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: freezer life of wild game??

I had some deer that lasted over 2 years. It was wrapped in plastic coated freezer paper only. I think if you keep it wrapped tight you'll be okay.
willfish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A year is kind of a rule of thumb for game meat wrapped like yours. Many go longer. I think the food people say less. I will go two years with vacuum packed meat, but I usually clean out old game meat after a year and then make salami with it.

I try to vacuum pack all my game meat and keep it at 0.

Moose is an exception. A once-in-a-lifetime moose from Utah will last for 78.4 years and in a Wyoming moose will keep for about 32 years.

FYI: In many states, Wyoming is one, you can't be in possession of a previous year's, say a 2009 deer, at the start of the 2010 deer hunt for example. This is supposed to guard against people killing a deer, not punching their tag, and packaging the deer with last year's date. It's rarely enforced anymore, especially in whitetail deer country where deer numbers have exploded. But, if you get your freezer searched by the fish cops and have years-old game meat in the freezer it can be an expensive oversight.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyogoob
FYI: In many states, Wyoming is one, you can't be in possession of a previous year's, say a 2009 deer, at the start of the 2010 deer hunt for example. This is supposed to guard against people killing a deer, not punching their tag, and packaging the deer with last year's date. It's rarely enforced anymore, especially in whitetail deer country where deer numbers have exploded. But, if you get your freezer searched by the fish cops and have years-old game meat in the freezer it can be an expensive oversight.

Thats why you always mark any wild game as "BEEF" . See us Utahahns do know some tricks
STEVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh goobs going to love that one! I am reading a book right now called from mountain top to table top. Its a great book that costs 10 bucks at sportsmans. It says that it depends how it is cut. He suggests cutting roasts from most of the deer, freezing them, then cutting steaks off of that at a later date. It says that if you miss a small piece in the wrapping procces and some air gets in and freezer burns that area, you can cut it off.

So yeah, it depends on how thick of a cut the meat is. He mentions that they found a Wooly Mamoth around the turn of the century that was like 30,000 years old but had been encased in ice and frozen solid since its death. He said that they acutally thawed it out and cut some meat from the inside and SOLD IT IN SOME NEW YORK RESTAURANTS for an assinign amount. So as long as its tight you should be good for 100 years!!!!
This is an article I found that talks about these rummors.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... for-dinner
Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahgolf
how long would you think frozen wild game would last before thinking about discarding it?? I know a lot has to deal with proper packaging,, mine isn't vacuum sealed or anything. its wrapped tight in plastic wrap and then packaged in butcher paper. just curious about the average time frame. I don't like eating anything past a year but just curious.
One year is about all I can stand, like Nor-tah explained, the larger the cut, the longer freezer life. I always figured burger, stew meats, etc. 3 months, steaks about 6 months and roast no more than a year. Good vacuum packing could prolong it I guess, but what for? I don't particularly like the gaseous smells that frozen meats can produce....so, one year is it for me.

btw Nor-tah....the link sent my computer in panic mode, said it's got a virus...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor-tah
Oh goobs going to love that one! I am reading a book right now called from mountain top to table top. Its a great book that costs 10 bucks at sportsmans. It says that it depends how it is cut. He suggests cutting roasts from most of the deer, freezing them, then cutting steaks off of that at a later date. It says that if you miss a small piece in the wrapping procces and some air gets in and freezer burns that area, you can cut it off.

Isnt that the book that Beartrekker guy or whatever his name was from the DWR forum wrote? If it is then It is a good cookbook. I bought it at that time!!
STEVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

My link works for me??? The one you linked doesnt?

I dont know if its the same guy?? I wasnt on the old forum. Its a guy from Levan.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I will let some of the hamburger and stuff go for 2+ years, only if it's getting heavily seasoned like taco or chili or fajita's or stew, infact i have one pound left of an elk my old man killed 4 years ago, i put half of it in taco's the other night, the other half is waiting to be turned into sloppy joes tomorrow.

If it is going for roast or a good steak i don't think i have ever allowed it to sit in the freezer for more than 6 months because i eat it
duneman101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO
Isn't that the book that Beartrekker guy or whatever his name was from the DWR forum wrote? If it is then It is a good cookbook. I bought it at that time!![/quote]

Yes that is Bear Tracker's (or what ever his name is) book.

If meat is packaged in vacumm bags it doesn't matter what the thickness is.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.