> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,643
Threads: 57,194
Welcome to our newest member, dmchris
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5.4 or 5.0

So I think I'm gonna sell the 05 6.0 powerstroke, and down size back to an F150. I had an 06 F150 and loved it. I'm looking at 2009 or 2010 F150 with the 5.4 triton or a 2011 with the 5.0 coyote. Here's my question should I avoid the 5.0 being that this was the first year it was in the F150? I've always been told to avoid the first year/generation of any truck due to flaws that haven't been worked out or forseen. I'm leaning towards the 5.4 since it's been tested and tried. Let me know your opinions. Thanks ahead of time.
DevilDog09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

LOL!

Google "5.4 triton blown spark plug". They are known to blow the plugs right out of those aluminum heads.

They make a decent tool / kit to drill, tap and thread in a new seat for the spark plugs. And you can do it with the head on the engine if you fill up the chamber with shaving cream first (to keep the metal shavings from getting too far down into the cylinder).

For the newer model engines. Google up "ford broken off sparkplug" ... better yet, watch some youtube videos on that nightmare. IDK why ford would intentionally design such a cluster$#$% but they did.

-DallanC
ZEKESMAN likes this.

Last edited by DallanC; 05-14-2017 at 04:44 PM.
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh I'm well aware of the spark plug issues in the triton. That spark problem was resolved after 2008. Like I said I had one prior to my powerstroke. $400 to replace all 8 and was awesome after that! I'm looking at a 2009-10 5.4 or a 2011 5.0
DevilDog09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd go with the 5.4. They have sold probably well over a million of them between all their models... they have the known spark plug issue but every motor has something. They're a dang good motor with a proven track record.

The 3.5L EcoBoost has been good too, but there's not nearly as much history on the 5.0 or 6.2 V8s.
grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

The 5.0 is pretty awesome, but so is the ecoboost. What about searching long and hard for one with the 6.2l gas engine? They did put it in some F150s for a while, and it seems to be one of the most trouble-free heavy duty engines out there. It's the gas engine in the older raptors as well as the '11+ F250/350s.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
ZEKESMAN likes this.
Rspeters is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Im on my 3rd F150 and this one is by far my favorite with the 3.5L. I bought mine from a fleet manager who has had about 200 of them go an average of 80k miles and never a problem he says.
What is your budget? I may be able to put you in touch with the same guy for less than you may expect.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Have the 3.5 wish I had the 5.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hondodawg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've always been partial to Ford but could not, in good conscience, recommend the 5.4 engine.

They are a pain to maintain, blow spark plugs, and drink more fuel than they return in power.

I know it's not one of your options but I've always preferred their 351windsor engines from the mid-90's. My 2015 with the 3.5 ecoboost is also good so far but has extremely overstated mpg.
KineKilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Between me, my brother and my dad we have owned 7 F150s (Dad was a Chevy man until they refused to do anything about the paint peeling on the cab of 2 year old Scottsdale back in the late 80's). Four of those trucks were driven over 175k miles before they were traded in. My dad was a truck driver for 30 years, my brother worked as a carpenter since he was 16 (often with my dad) has used his trucks hard working and I was a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic in the Army for years. Here would be our ranking of those motors.

1 - 3.5L Ecoboost, my dad and brother both drive 2014 XLTs 4x4s with that motor and they both love it. The mpgs are lower than advertised but so far it has impressed with towing power. They both average 16-17 mpg in the city (3.55 and 3.31 gears) Try to use premium gas or mid-grade at the least. It starts to knock with $hitty gas. If you drive a truck with this motor you need to make sure you get it into the dealer and get the ECM reflashed with the latest updates. Most of the issues with this motor are related to ignition/timing issues that can be resolved new programming. Also, you're driving something with turbos, don't be stupid with it. Take care of your motor, change the oil, don't dump random "intake cleaners" down the intake.

2- 5.0 Coyote I drive a 2013 with this motor, my dad and brother have both driven it and were impressed. It has more power than the 5.4 and runs well on every type of gas I've put in it. When I had factory tires on it I could get 21 mpg on the highway (3.55 gears) Put larger tires on it now and I've never gotten over 19 on the highway since (stock tires are LIGHT to help increase mpg). I average about 17 in the city. This is my everyday/outdoors truck, I don't tow much with it.
A light trailer behind this motor isn't even noticeable but if you are towing often and heavier the 3.5 is the way to go. I know a few guys that race and from what they have told me this is a solid motor (one Ford fanboy friend called it bulletproof). When guys push these blocks to the limits typically what they are seeing are oil pump gears failing. Seems that few problems arise when they are in trucks.

3. 5.4L Triton - Solid motor, decent power, older technology. Guzzled gas but have known a lot of guys that have put 200k+ miles on them without an issue. Along with the spark plug issue they had common problems with timing chain tensioners and a very common problem with cam phasers. The cam phasers weren't as big of an issue, they would make for noisy idling and reduced mpg but supposedly they could keep running for a nearly indefinite period of time without issues. My dad and brother both had this issue in theirs. Didn't really cause any problems until they went to trade them in and the dealer tried to knock down the value because of it.

4.6L Same as the 5.4 just with less power and an even more noisy phaser issue.
Huge29 likes this.

Last edited by spacinout; 05-16-2017 at 12:55 PM.
spacinout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

My dads 2016 Kings Ranch edition had the back window fall out on a bump and it hit packout on the head in the back seat. lolz... brand new truck. He had all kinds of issues with it, going down the freeway the computer would throw it in some kind of "safe mode" where it would just idle. Took months for the Ford techs to figure it out, they replaced computers, sensors... it ended up being a bad throttle body

His 2017 seems fairly problem free.

-DallanC

Last edited by DallanC; 05-16-2017 at 04:23 PM.
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.