> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,645
Threads: 57,202
Welcome to our newest member, Wyomountains
Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #31 (permalink)

Location: shootin, huntin and occationally a little pickin to go with a cold one

Do you global warming kooks know that there is biological plant material above the bedrock, under 10,000' of ice on Greenland? Depending if you're an young earth or old earth kind of person, that puts plant life on Greenland somewhere between 4700 and 120,000 years ago. All well within the range of time humans were found on earth. Did we cause the 3000m of ice or might the earth simply decide on a regular basis to throw us a curve?

Did you know that there is more ice on earth right now than anytime in the last 100 years? Yes, the Antarctic ice sheet is about 11% more volume than any time in recorded history. The arctic ice is 4-15% lower than the modern recorded average. Alarmist beware !!! Except for the fact that the Antarctic is 30 times the size of the arctic.

Do you realize with these facts at hand that our average temp is a mere 0.41 deg c higher than the 20 century average right now?

The arrogance of man that believes we have any effect on our climate is without bounds it appears.

Ken and Scott, I'll suggest time spent arguing with idiots on such matters would be much better spent behind a bow, a glass of wine or both with close friends
c3hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3hammer View Post
Do you global warming kooks know that there is biological plant material above the bedrock, under 10,000' of ice on Greenland? Depending if you're an young earth or old earth kind of person, that puts plant life on Greenland somewhere between 4700 and 120,000 years ago. All well within the range of time humans were found on earth. Did we cause the 3000m of ice or might the earth simply decide on a regular basis to throw us a curve?

Did you know that there is more ice on earth right now than anytime in the last 100 years? Yes, the Antarctic ice sheet is about 11% more volume than any time in recorded history. The arctic ice is 4-15% lower than the modern recorded average. Alarmist beware !!! Except for the fact that the Antarctic is 30 times the size of the arctic.

Do you realize with these facts at hand that our average temp is a mere 0.41 deg c higher than the 20 century average right now?

The arrogance of man that believes we have any effect on our climate is without bounds it appears.

Ken and Scott, I'll suggest time spent arguing with idiots on such matters would be much better spent behind a bow, a glass of wine or both with close friends
I do, I've been following research on it for years.

Facts are we have been trending COOLER for THOUSANDS of years. Its only a small portion of that chart that shows an up tick. Not enough statistical data to overcome the previous 10,000 years of readings.

http://joannenova.com.au/2010/02/the...rature-swings/

The whole global cooling issue was brought up years ago, and was discussed often in the mid to late 1970's.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/03/0...g-compilation/

/shrug. We had crazy wild cold weather across the Earth this year... I wonder why, Oh wait:

http://www.space.com/23934-weak-sola...e-weather.html

Yea... must be CO2, the gas that makes up less than .03 percent of the worlds atmosphere (Nitrogen makes up 78%, Oxygen 21% and Argon at .93% .... that accounts for 99.8% of everything).

-DallanC

DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #33 (permalink)

Everyone knows that global warming is caused by stinky mule farts and too many flatulent elk on the Monroe. I say we eradicate both and see what happens. Seriously. In my experience, those who preach about stewardship are often much like their leader Al Gore......some of the worst hypocrites and polluters. Real conservationists just do it everyday, teach it to their kids, and stay out of others business. Global warming must be real because now 1-I and Obama say so. I think that global warming(aka climate change because there is no global warming) is a tall tale designed to manipulate gullible people......and it works great apparently.--------SS
LostLouisianian and klbzdad like this.
Springville Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #34 (permalink)

Earth's climate system is complex. Natural factors that have definite impacts on climate change are solar output, volcanoes, plate tectonics, Earth's tilt (a wobble of about every 40,000 years), and our orbit around the sun (varies about every 100,000 years).
Carbon dioxide levels are the highest they have been in the last 800,000 years according to ice core records.
Are any of these natural processes causing the increased levels of CO2? All appear to be within normal ranges. Is there some other cause for these increased levels besides human activity? Not likely (according to the IPCC).
Some say Earth is too complex for living things to make a difference, however in Earth's early history its CO2 levels were similar to what Venus and Mars current CO2 levels are today...over 90%. So what happened to our CO2 to lower it to .03% with oxygen now at 21% while oxygen on Venus and Mars is practically nonexistent? The answer...living things...plants. It shouldn't be too hard to realize that humans have a part in increased levels of CO2.
Earth absorbs roughly 64% of the energy it receives from the sun every day. This energy bounces around in Earth's systems for a while, but eventually, every day the Earth must radiate 64% into space in the form of infrared energy. If the Earth radiates more energy into space than it receives for a period of time then we can say we are going through a period of global cooling. If the Earth radiates less energy into space than it receives for a period of time then we are experiencing global warming.
The Earth has experienced cooling and warming cycles thousands of times over its history. Right now Earth is experiencing a period of global warming with a rise of 1 degree F. All the data shows a strong correlation to the rise in CO2 levels, which shows a very likely connection to human activity.
A one degree rise doesn't seem like much for any particular locale. But remember this is global...not just the arctic or Antarctic...not just Utah or North America...global.
This does not mean the end of the world. It will cause some changes. A lot of it depends on how high the CO2 levels rise. Computer models forecast numerous scenarios from worst case to minimal depending on how much the greenhouse gases continue to increase.
I'll stop here.
wyogoob and Catherder like this.
The Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #35 (permalink)

With regards to the arctic and antarctic. You guys need to do a little more reading on continental ice versus sea ice, how they are formed, how they are influenced and other ways in which they differ. Comparing the two is really not very intelligent.

Yes grand scheme we are trending cooler. Fact is the orbit of the moon has been getting bigger every year for several million years. Eventually is could lead to a much longer Ice Age than the last one.

Short term, (the term that Humans exist on Earth). It in part depends upon what you want to believe. Scientist are typically working off of granted money and many have a strange way of finding what the money tells them to.

I will stop by saying this. I didn't post this to start an argument about global warming. I am quite honestly no more concerned about global warming than I am about World War III. I have not control over either. I wanted to see what reactions people would have. Which side of the fence people are on, what line they would take and which direction the conversation would turn.

I am concerned about pollution though. It is a big problem. Whether some want to admit it or not. There are a lot improvements to be made on a local level that will have more of an impact on our wildlife in my opinion than anything that China will or will not do.
GaryFish likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #36 (permalink)

Just out of ignorance, what device or instrument is being used to come up with 1 degree?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

I want to get all you guys in the same town hall meeting!!!
The Naturalist likes this.
Elkaholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntoholic View Post
Just out of ignorance, what device or instrument is being used to come up with 1 degree?
For paleoclimates they measure an isotope of oxygen found in ice cores. The prevalence of that isotope is indicative of a corresponding temperature. The interesting thing is that as CO2 concentrations in ice cores rise so does the temperature as measured by the oxygen isotope. So we can see a direct relationship between CO2 levels and temperature increases and decreases over the last 800,000 years.

Today temperatures are measured with typical weather instrumentation, thermometers and satellite imagery. Global average temperatures today are the highest since modern records have been kept (the last 150 or so years). One degree F doesn't seem like a lot for any one particular area, but for a global average it is significant as the Earth usually does a pretty good job at keeping a balance. The thing concerning the majority of climate scientists is the trend doesn't appear to be abating. The computer models indicate if the current trend continues that by the end of this century we could see as much as a 7 degree F rise in temps (worst case scenario).
Old 04-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Muleskinner View Post
Short term, (the term that Humans exist on Earth). It in part depends upon what you want to believe. Scientist are typically working off of granted money and many have a strange way of finding what the money tells them to.

I agree, some scientists can be bought, not to the extent that politicians are bought , but it does happen.
However, the thing that keeps most research scientists ethical is their reputations are at stake. That is why peer reviewed studies are so important. If they aren't on the up and up in their research the peer reviews will usually catch it and then the grant money stops flowing.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #40 (permalink)

What does a 7 degree average change equate to in layman's terms?

It's quite interesting that a fair amount of people reserve themselves to an ideological corner when considering different aspects of what might be prudent when it comes to thriving as a race, much less surviving. Does ego really dictate an entire philosophy of an individual? I guess there are really are a host of entities missing their noses, but at least they showed their face who's boss.

Men willingly believe what they wish to be true.......

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.