> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,649
Threads: 57,225
Welcome to our newest member, jarhead1229
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler View Post
The allocation to BGF is now a line item in the budget.

Did the source you talked to say how much $ they got?

As for the papers, my wife gets the weekend editions of the D news and enjoys that. There are a couple of opinion columns I like too in the Sunday edition. I can't stand the D news sports section though (all and only BYU sports, all the time, sorry cougarfans) and hit the Trib sports online on a daily basis. When there for that, I usually will check out other articles online that catch my eye as well.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think they got about $2 million. Enough for one guy to move from a modest house in Bountiful to a custom home on the Farmington bench.
paddler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
V, I was asking for specifics. Do you have any specific examples of his work that led to your conclusion? I have read his stuff and spoken with him and he appears very solid.
Many, including this very article if you read it closely with some of the comparisons he makes and criticisms he lays out. But those are all different topics for a different day, on a different forum.

Quote:
He's also concerned that the Antelope Island trophy deer tag goes to SFW, who then auctions it off at a profit. Don't know why the state doesn't do that instead, so the money would benefit all of Utah's outdoorsmen rather than Peay and Benson.
90% of the proceeds from the Antelope Island auctions go directly to Antelope Island State Park for conservation projects. Not to the general fund, or state parks in general, but directly to Antelope Island. This was part of the negotiation to allow the tags in the first place. Yes, SFW gets to make money still off the other 10%, and I would be in favor of stripping ALL auction tags away from conservation organizations. (not just SFW) But this one is not as bad as much of the other stuff surrounding SFW and the shadiness in the relationship with the state. And just to be fully correct, Benson and Peay are with BGF, and it is a separate organization from SFW.

Quote:
This is a very interesting topic. The allocation to BGF is now a line item in the budget. In the Democrats alternative budget, the $2 million allocation to BGF was eliminated and that money was instead designated for State Parks. The Republicans reportedly laughed at the idea. There also may be kickbacks going on, in that BGF and/or SFW may be sponsoring junkets for members of the legislature. Auditing this will be difficult, as there appears to be co-mingling of the public dollars with private money. In any case, there's a lot of fishiness up on the hill. The legislator I talked to said if he had a few more Democrats up there they could raise some cain about this, and that if he had the majority, this wouldn't be happening at all. It's not clear to me that trying to "raise the heat" on the legislature will do much good, as they have clearly demonstrated an amazing degree of arrogance over the years. But it's certainly worth the effort.
I have zero doubt that there are kickbacks of some sort. Whether they are illegal or not, I do not know and won't make that allegation. But you don't get $5+ million dollars in public funds with no accountability whatsoever without some back scratching of some sort. It reminds me of the day that the legislature was voting on two different competing stream access bills, and they honored Don Peay on the House floor for all his work with wildlife. He was also up there that day lobbying AGAINST public access to publicly owned water. Coincidence? I think not...
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
I can assure you that the last thing I'm going to do is get a physical paper dropped at my house every day SLTrib or otherwise. Seems exceedingly unnecessary in the world we live in. I also don't have a dog to retrieve it for me.
Some people are just more environmentally conscious than others...
Old 04-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Antelope island generates around 1 million dollars per year in fees and other way but it is not allowed to spend this money on the state park. It goes to the general fund. Is this deer tag money included in this?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopermat View Post
Antelope island generates around 1 million dollars per year in fees and other way but it is not allowed to spend this money on the state park. It goes to the general fund. Is this deer tag money included in this?
No. The way it was explained to me was that this money from the 90% of the auction price is specifically reserved only for conservation projects in the Antelope Island State Park.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Interesting. I was told that SFW or BGF paid the DWR for the tags, then auctioned them off to the highest bidder and kept the profit. I'm with you though, no need for any outside organization to get a cut. The wildlife belongs to the state and the state should be the sole beneficiary.

I thought SFW was started by and run by Peay, BGF was an offshoot run by Benson? Whatever, it stinks. I spoke to Patrice Arent today, she is also in agreement that the current state of affairs is ridiculous. I put a call in to another state senator, waiting to hear back. I think if everybody made calls to their legislators, maybe we could make them nervous. There seems to be a rising tide against the status quo, which is a good thing.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Some people are just more environmentally conscious than others...
Hey, we recycle. And, I paddle.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
I think they got about $2 million. Enough for one guy to move from a modest house in Bountiful to a custom home on the Farmington bench.

As I recall, the original "wolf lobbying" contract was for $500000, so there may not have been any progress with this issue. It may not be be an apples to apples comparison however, as Benson/BGF was also going to "protect" the state from sage grouse and other activists as well as the wolves.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
As I recall, the original "wolf lobbying" contract was for $500000, so there may not have been any progress with this issue. It may not be be an apples to apples comparison however, as Benson/BGF was also going to "protect" the state from sage grouse and other activists as well as the wolves.
No, the first "contract", if you can call dispersing money without any contractual obligations a contract, I think was for ~$100,000. It's grown each year.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.