> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,562
Threads: 56,879
Welcome to our newest member, Terk
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Gehrke is a hack.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

I thought that article was a great read, and it called out a bunch of pet projects that legislators miraculously find money for, while claiming poverty when confronted with a bunch of good programs that could help people, or wildlife, or habitat, or waterways, or air quality, or water quality, or...
R
rjefre is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Someday we may see SFW or BGF offering money to other wildlife groups for habitat improvement, etc. Not sure how I feel about that, but it seems any such monies would be tainted. I wouldn't put it past those guys trying to buy influence with what were originally taxpayer dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

If there is a silver lining to stories such as this is that finally(!) there was pushback from other legislators with respect to the largesse doled out to BGF and all that so-called lobbying they were supposed to do.

The first linked article was written in February, when the legislature was in session, and they are now done. I never did hear about another huge check doled out to Benson/BGF this session. (It could have occurred and I didn't hear about it though) Maybe/hopefully the letters to the legislators have gotten through to a few of them.

Last edited by Catherder; 04-11-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjefre View Post
I thought that article was a great read, and it called out a bunch of pet projects that legislators miraculously find money for, while claiming poverty when confronted with a bunch of good programs that could help people, or wildlife, or habitat, or waterways, or air quality, or water quality, or...
R
Regardless...he's still a hack. No better than the selfishly motivated people he's criticizing.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
If there is a silver lining to stories such as this is that finally(!) there was pushback from other legislators with respect to the largesse doled out to BGF and all that so-called lobbying they were supposed to do.

The first linked article was written in February, when the legislature was in session, and they are now done. I never did hear about another huge check doled out to Benson/BGF this session. (It could have occurred and I didn't hear about it though) Maybe/hopefully the letters to the legislators has gotten through to a few of them.
It would be interesting to hear the final details. This kind of last minute dispersal of taxpayer dollars without public debate is reprehensible and must stop. Audits are in order for past years, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Regardless...he's still a hack. No better than the selfishly motivated people he's criticizing.
I've always thought he's done a thorough job. Actually, I'm very impressed with the reporting in the Trib, especially given the ridiculous JOA. They even won the Pulitzer Prize this year, announced Sunday. Do you have specific articles you can cite for us that support your opinion?

BTW, everybody should subscribe to the Trib. My GSP fetches it every morning. She'll go to any required effort to get the paper, or find a chukar or grouse, by won't touch waterfowl. "You want me to put that in my mouth? No way."
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler View Post
One would think an audit is in order.
Already done. Found lots of problems...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Xua6eMJePRbphQ
grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I've always thought he's done a thorough job. Actually, I'm very impressed with the reporting in the Trib...
Of course you do! I would expect nothing less.

And yes, audits have been done, have recommended changes, and nothing has happened. Hence, why I suggested we turn up the public pressure on our own elected officials.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

BTW, everybody should subscribe to the Trib. My GSP fetches it every morning. She'll go to any required effort to get the paper, or find a chukar or grouse, by won't touch waterfowl. "You want me to put that in my mouth? No way."
I can assure you that the last thing I'm going to do is get a physical paper dropped at my house every day SLTrib or otherwise. Seems exceedingly unnecessary in the world we live in. I also don't have a dog to retrieve it for me.

I like the trib's sports writers. I like Maffly and think he has done some good work shedding light on some of the issues affecting us as sportsmen. I'll probably just continue to selectively peruse the articles on the web from all sources. It's probably better to hear from more than one side on the issues anyways.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
Already done. Found lots of problems...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Xua6eMJePRbphQ
Yes, that was the 2013 audit which was widely covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Of course you do! I would expect nothing less.

And yes, audits have been done, have recommended changes, and nothing has happened. Hence, why I suggested we turn up the public pressure on our own elected officials.
V, I was asking for specifics. Do you have any specific examples of his work that led to your conclusion? I have read his stuff and spoken with him and he appears very solid.

I made some calls this morning to the State Auditor, the Legislative Auditor, and members of the legislative audit subcommittee. The subcommittee consists of 6 members, the president of the senate, the house speaker, plus the majority and minority leaders of both chambers. So, 4 Republicans and 2 Democrats. One of the Democrats will raise the issue of auditing BGF after our conversation this morning. He's also concerned that the Antelope Island trophy deer tag goes to SFW, who then auctions it off at a profit. Don't know why the state doesn't do that instead, so the money would benefit all of Utah's outdoorsmen rather than Peay and Benson.

This is a very interesting topic. The allocation to BGF is now a line item in the budget. In the Democrats alternative budget, the $2 million allocation to BGF was eliminated and that money was instead designated for State Parks. The Republicans reportedly laughed at the idea. There also may be kickbacks going on, in that BGF and/or SFW may be sponsoring junkets for members of the legislature. Auditing this will be difficult, as there appears to be co-mingling of the public dollars with private money. In any case, there's a lot of fishiness up on the hill. The legislator I talked to said if he had a few more Democrats up there they could raise some cain about this, and that if he had the majority, this wouldn't be happening at all. It's not clear to me that trying to "raise the heat" on the legislature will do much good, as they have clearly demonstrated an amazing degree of arrogance over the years. But it's certainly worth the effort.

I think the Trib may do followup stories on this. Right now, the reporter who wrote after the recent session is otherwise occupied.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.