> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,644
Threads: 57,200
Welcome to our newest member, tophunter
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalOscar View Post
You do know SITLA land does not belong to the public; it belongs to SITLA for one purpose; generate revenue to public schools.

Feel fortunate the vast majority of SITLA lands are available to the public for use. Do Gooder squawking when parcels are leased or sold is laughable.

Also over 60% of SITLA land is still retained.
I hope you understand the irony of your argument. SITLA lands were deeded to the state by the Federal government at the time of statehood. So far, they have sold off 40% of those holdings. That doesn't argue that the state wouldn't sell off any lands the federal government would cede to the state in the future. In fact, one would expect the opposite.

Here's an article on this issue. Besides outright selling off those lands, there's a history of malfeasance and abuse surrounding the program at the state level:

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?...state.html.csp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
You do know SITLA land does not belong to the public; it belongs to SITLA for one purpose; generate revenue to public schools.

Feel fortunate the vast majority of SITLA lands are available to the public for use. Do Gooder squawking when parcels are leased or sold is laughable.

Also over 60% of SITLA land is still retained.
Right, and by law the states budget has to balance. It makes no difference if you call the state managment agency SITLA or Utah Division of land management, THEY CANT LOSE MONEY ON THE LAND. SITLA is a prime example the state doesn't know how to manage for revenu or they wouldn't be selling the biggest asset they have, they would be finding ways to make money off it other than short term gains by selling it. SITLA gets millions off my and your license fees every year for us to "be so lucky". And no, 55% of SITLA land has been sold, 45% is still retained. SITLA can sale whatever they want, I'm not saying I'm mad they've sold it, I'm using it as an example of what happens when the state needs to make money off land. That's how they end up doing it. You can say the change in agency makes a difference but in reality if you're managing for multiple use rather than just revenue it becomes even more expensive, in fact a lot more expensive to manage. So SITLA sale everything you have, but the state of Utah can keep their hands off of public lands when they don't have the money to manage or control it.
#1DEER 1-I is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Article makes my point. Thank you.

Quote:
Yet West's team found numerous signs of progress, particularly in Utah, which another co-author singled out as an example of how to manage school trust lands right. The state strives to maximize revenues and ensure local control in how proceeds are spent on schools, said Margaret Bird of the State Office of Education. But it wasn't that long ago that Utah was "the poster child for how to screw things up," she said.

As a researcher in that office in the 1980s, Bird documented numerous abuses. For example, operators were paying a 15-cent-per-ton royalty on coal at a time when the going rate was $2, then the money was not invested in education, said Bird, who now runs the program that disburses school-trust money. Such revelations spurred the 1994 creation of the School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration and a "paradigm shift" in how trust lands were managed.

Since then the State School Fund has grown from less than $50 million to nearly $1.4 billion, according to SITLA Executive Director Kevin Carter.
OriginalOscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Article makes my point. Thank you.
And so I guess we're to be congratulated for no longer screwing things up. That's progress, but it certainly doesn't make me anxious to support TPL. I was surprised to read that SITLA kicked only comprise 0.7% of the total for public education.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.