Welcome to our newest member, jarhead1229
View Poll Results: Should bikes be allowed in Wilderness Areas
No 24 60.00%
Yes 10 25.00%
Don't care 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

"I don't think you quite understand that what you believe I may have meant isn't what you think I said."

Richard Nixon, 1974

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

I voted "Don't care" Mostly so I could tell ya all that so you wouldn't shoot the messenger.

Really, I don't care. As far as the horses go; no one hates farm animals worse than I do, but the National Forest, and yes, the wilderness, would be an inaccessible mess if it wasn't for horses. If it wasn't for guys like packout, livestock producers, and outfitters the Feds wouldn't keep up buckin' trail and we hikers would be rootin around lost in all the deadfalls.

I don't know, there's something cool, something "Americana", about 14 horses being tied up in the timber at Dollar Lake while the riders are hiking up King's Peak, but I'm not so sure I could say the same about 14 mountain bikes parked there.

Who knows? The way things are going there might just be roads all over the wilderness areas soon.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've been in the mountains on horseback and on mountain bike. I like the idea of having a wilderness area be non-motorized because it give people a place to get away without the racket of vehicles. That being said, horses truly screw up the trails and horse folk seem to love riding right after a rainstorm for some reason. Bikes are just as quiet (or quieter) than horses and probably do the same amount of trail damage if ridden when wet, plus they don't leave big dookie piles on the trail like horses do. I never really understood why they list a bicycle as a motorized vehicle. I guess it's because the human leg is a motor that runs a mechanized wheel, and a horse leg only has a metal shoe and no gears?
R
rjefre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Packout - I know not all guys do the same, but I pull over and turn my dirk bike off when someone with a horse is coming up the trail.

I wait until the person passes, then I start my bike back up and then get moving again.

I know my bike isn't the quietest, but I put a quieter muffler on it knowing full well that power would be limited as a result but also to be sure that I wasn't obnoxious on the trail.

Last thing I want to do is scare a horse and buck a rider off as a result of my impatience.
stillhunterman likes this.

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

http://www.griptiongear.us/
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjefre View Post
I never really understood why they list a bicycle as a motorized vehicle. I guess it's because the human leg is a motor that runs a mechanized wheel?
R
(edited for purpose).

I haven't ever heard that a bicycle was considered motorized..... does this mean guys cant ride their bikes down the dike in Farmington?

Not asking to be a bone head, but thought that someone might have an answer to this.

Thus far, I haven't ever seen anyone given grief for riding their bike down the dike, but just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it wont happen.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Bikes aren't considered motorized on our WMAs, even electric bikes, which have motors. Hopefully that will change soon.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler View Post
Bikes aren't considered motorized on our WMAs, even electric bikes, which have motors. Hopefully that will change soon.
to clarify your post: are you saying you want all bikes removed from WMAs, including pedal bikes? Or are you saying you just want electric bikes banned?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

I probably misused the word "motorized"...it is probably "mechanized" vehicles that are not allowed. I don't know which word is called out in the regulations. If it is "mechanized", then it would be targeting bikes I assume. HR1349 specifically uses the words "non-motorized bicycles", so I guess I'll have to get into the wilderness regulations to see what a bike is deemed to be...
R

Last edited by rjefre; 04-03-2017 at 11:44 AM.
rjefre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Default "mechanized" is the word

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjefre View Post
I probably misused the word "motorized"...it is probably "mechanized" vehicles that are not allowed. I don't know which word is called out in the regulations. If it is "mechanized", then it would be targeting bikes I assume. HR1349 specifically uses the words "non-motorized bicycles", so I guess I'll have to get into the wilderness regulations to see what a bike is deemed to be...
R
Yes. I should have put up a link to one of the articles about the new proposal, sorry. Some say the original Wilderness Bill rules out mechanized modes of human travel, that's something that came later. see: http://www.wyofile.com/column/legisl...es-wilderness/

ďItís not the Wilderness Act that bans bikes, itís the interpretation of the law by federal land management agencies,Ē
the article said.

BUT, here's the original bill verbiage:

Text from the Wilderness Act of 1964
section 4(c)

"Prohibition of Certain Uses
Except as specifically provided for in this Act, and subject to existing private rights, there shall be no commercial enterprise and no permanent road within any wilderness area designated by this Act and, except as necessary to meet minimum requirements for the administration of the area for the purpose of this Act (including measures required in emergencies involving the health and safety of persons within the area), there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area."

(emphasis added)

see:
http://www.wildernessbicycling.org/b...transport.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/u...bate.html?_r=0

http://newwest.net/main/article/wild...untain_biking/

Last edited by wyogoob; 04-03-2017 at 04:46 PM.
wyogoob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

I really loathe Mt Bikers... I see them from my house cutting all kinds of new trails through areas that have been closed to motorcycles and ATVs. Recently, someone drove one of those tiny trackhoes down the mountainside making a zig-zag course down a steep drainage for the bikers. Now, alot of the newer bikes do have a battery powered motor assist. They should be treated the same as Motorcycles IMO.

I am for the most part, all for retaining the ban on bikes, wheeled vehicles, chainsaws etc etc in wilderness areas.

My only exception however is possibly snowmobiles. The only reason I would be open to a change there is they really do leave little to no trace in country that for the most part isn't utilized in the winter otherwise. Snow is so deep most animals migrate, and it can be so far in cross country skiers /snowshoers don't use it either. Once the snow is gone so are the tracks.

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.