"Time for outdoor retailers to leave Utah in disgust" - Page 8 - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,612
Threads: 57,043
Welcome to our newest member, TheoCleaner
Like Tree105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #71 (permalink)
West side Utah Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalOscar View Post
Utah tourism & hospitality business $8.2B last year. $40M is 4% We are fine.

I give Herbert props for his willingness to try to have a conversation with people who had already made up their mind to leave.

At the end of the day Utah still owns the Outdoor Industry. We have the best National Parks, State Parks and outdoor lifestyle. We fostered the environment for that show and industry to develop; they didn't foster that lifestyle in Utah.
I think if anyone watched the news last night you would come away pissed at the Outdoor Show folks. The governor tried to talk to them and they shut him out. He tried to set up a meeting with them to go over their concerns and try to work out a compromise and essentially the Outdoor Show told him to kiss their @$$. They are acting like my 3 year old grandson when you take away his favorite toy or tell him to go clean up his room. Both sides have a point and validity to their arguments but only ONE side was willing to work through them and discuss them like rational adults and it wasn't the whining, temper tantrum throwing Outdoor Show people. And don't get me started on them either because I tended to the wounded that day long ago in SLC when the tornado came through downtown. I was running for cover and was the first one to realize that it was a tornado because I'd been in them before. People didn't believe me and just stood there watching. As soon as it passed I ran outside to what was left of the tents and started tending to people's injuries as best I could. I care about all people, not just those with similar views as mine. However there comes a point where two people cannot agree and they have to step back and take a break. Adults find common ground and try to compromise, children stomp their feet and walk away. End of my rant.
archerben, Vanilla, Kwalk3 and 2 others like this.
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DEER 1-I View Post
Utah just let the opportunity at 2 extremely lucrative roadshows walk away FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. For two tootheless measures on monument that will get tucked away in DC and not looked at.
I guess the reason why this move upsets me so much is just the other side of this coin. OIA just pulled the OR Show from Utah FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. For two toothless measures on monument that will get tucked away in DC and not get looked at.

The OR Show absolutely benefited from being held in SLC over the years. It has grown, become popular, and provided millions and millions in revenue for these companies over the years, and much of this was due specifically to the benefits and enticements that SLC had to offer. Now they are turning their backs on the people of Utah, yet will still market and benefit from Utah's public lands--even after they move. It's why I won't support their companies any longer. I'll find companies that actually stand with the people of Utah, not take their millions of balls and go home.

Neither side operated in good faith on this. If you can't see that, you're wrong. Period. This sucks. We lose. And too many are okay with it. Screw those trying to take our lands, and screw OIA and their OR Show. I'm going to peacefully protest this by ripping every Patagonia jacket I see in SLC off the person and burn it on the street. #notmycompany
#1DEER 1-I likes this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Screw those trying to take our lands....
Its your gov. representatives that "we" voted into position......
gdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #74 (permalink)

I'm very aware of who it is. I've been fighting for public access in Utah for 9 years now. I've spent hundreds of hours calling, emailing, researching, attending meetings, town halls, and even been a part of interim legislative committees and the facade that was a governor's task force on the issue. This is an issue near and dear to my heart. One that is more important to me than any other issue involving our government. That is another reason it pains me to watch what could be a powerful partner walk away from the table and leave us high and dry.

You want to know why those elected officials aren't sweating this? Because $40 million a year is a drop in the bucket to what the royalties on the resources on that land could be. Yet now we have to fight that without the support of the outdoor retailer industry. Good luck to us, I guess. I'm still confident we can win the war.
Kwalk3 likes this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #75 (permalink)

Outdoor Retailers has been wanting to leave Utah for years. How many articles have we seen where they complain about not enough floor space, wanting the convention center torn down and rebuilt etc etc. This latest thing is nothing new... they have wanted a excuse to leave for too long, now they have it and like a petulant child, want to slam the door on the way out of the room while crying "SO THERE!"

Let'em go. Maybe the outdoor expo in southtown can use the SLC convention center now. Thats a way better show anyway.

-DallanC
Vanilla and OriginalOscar like this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
You want to know why those elected officials aren't sweating this? Because $40 million a year is a drop in the bucket to what the royalties on the resources on that land could be.
Couldn't agree more....so why are you condemning the O.R. show? They don't lose anything by jumping ship on UT. Herbie and crew are not going to be swayed. As you stated...way too much $$ to keep in the family. O.R. will most likely make a better deal somewhere else, while at the same time be able to make a "grande statement" which could be their greatest marketing strategy yet.

You really think they give a **** that LostLouisianian and you are boycotting their products ( )? You think you represent the demo of the majority % of buyers of their products...or do you think this decision plays well with the mass majority of people who buy their products and support this action? Have you read Patagonia's mission statement and others? The majority of their customers are applauding these groups for sticking up to the "land-grabbers".

You think people in the hunting and fishing industry are not also grumbling about UT policy makers? Facebook pages and other outdoor related forums filled with comments and support for what the OR show is doing. I'm not happy they have jumped shipped, but I'm not condemning them for what seems to obviously be a strategic business move..that most likely will work out in their benefit.
Catherder likes this.

Last edited by gdog; 02-17-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLouisianian View Post
I think if anyone watched the news last night you would come away pissed at the Outdoor Show folks. The governor tried to talk to them and they shut him out. He tried to set up a meeting with them to go over their concerns and try to work out a compromise and essentially the Outdoor Show told him to kiss their @$$.

It's funny, but I watched the same news stories and got a very different take. Herbert was visibly upset at the prospect of losing the OR show and wanted to talk them out of it, but was NOT going to compromise on their stance on TPL and Bears Ears. Neither side was willing to compromise here and the inevitable split occurred. Between his interview and the press release sent out by Herberts office, I felt that the guv was acting like the teenager that just got dumped by the hot (ex) girlfriend. Again, this is the first time that our politicians have suffered a palpably negative result from their land grab policies and maybe a harsh reality may set in. Herbert sure did seem desperate to talk the OR folks out of their decision, so I don't accept that our pols feel it is no big deal to them to lose the OR show.

Next, I disagree that the OR show leaving is going to make it harder for Utahns to fight TPL here. These companies will still support groups here fighting TPL and for related issues like stream access (perhaps moreso). They still have a vested interest in keeping Utahs public lands public as it enhances their sales. Lastly, TPL is a regional issue, not just a Utah one. A strong stand like this can help increase awareness and sway public opinion nationally. That is important for any major TPL scheme, as it would need to pass the US congress.
Kwalk3 likes this.
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #78 (permalink)

So here is an Email from OR. Lots to look at but I have bolded just one paragraph.

Our Goal is Not Just to Speak. Our Goal is to be Heard.

The last week has certainly been an interesting time as a show organizer and I am most thankful for the incredible team at Outdoor Retailer, our partner - the Outdoor Industry Association, rep associations, retailers and brands, in addition to the hundreds of emails offering support.

We respect that brands have to make decisions that reflect their values. However, in the last week, the heart-felt expressions of support for the show from exhibitors of all sizes have far outweighed those choosing not to participate. Iconic brands such as adidas Outdoor, Ibex, The Conservation Alliance, The North Face, REI and Wolverine Worldwide, among many others have not only reinforced their intent to come to SLC this summer, but also, will make their voices louder than ever before. (Please look at unity.outdoorretailer.com for specific expressions of support.)

We can all most easily agree that this is not a question of inaction. Rather, it is a matter of what action.

This is not a one-and-done issue. While Bears Ears National Monument status is a lightning rod, it is just the most currently visible example of what will be a long, hard series of fights the outdoor community needs to not only raise our voices about, but, even more importantly, about which we need to be heard.

Outdoor Retailer is the only gathering where the entire industry comes together to conduct commerce, share best practices and exchange ideas. There is no other event where the most respected iconic brands and retailers - large, medium and small in size - show up "en force."

But the boycott of Outdoor Retailer levies the most significant negative impact on those medium and small-sized companies that count on the show to conduct business. We have a unique, maybe even singular, opportunity to coalesce, organize, speak and lay plans to make a difference around public land awareness in such a way that it is not only heard but that it can make a positive difference.

Our goal is not just to speak. Our goal is to be heard.

Now is the time for action, not words. These are turbulent times with passions running high – a wonderful trait of the industry we serve. We share these passions. We hear you, are listening closely and taking action. Here is what we are doing:

An Ideal Venue: As swiftly as humanly possible, we are doing the work necessary to procure potential alternative locations for Outdoor Retailer. Though we may wish it different, this is far from a snap of the fingers thing to make happen. Convention centers and hotels are not sitting idle. In every instance of every potential venue, there are hurdles that have to be cleared and that simply cannot be done overnight.

We expect that our current proposal process – which we initiated before any of the company withdrawal announcements last week – will take between 60 and 90 days. We are exploring options for expediting this process and will keep you updated on the progress.

Gather Best Ideas: Outdoor Retailer and Outdoor Industry Association will harness the creative ideas already being put forth by exhibitors to express their opinions at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. Through unity.outdoorretailer.com, we are exploring options including utilizing the time and funds earmarked for the Industry Breakfast as a time to express our opinions; rallies; conservation town halls; and a community camp out using city parks, among other ideas. We must work within the rules of the city, the existing permits we have and other laws by which we must abide. Our team has already begun to investigate what steps need to be taken to accommodate those activities. We are working in tandem with parties that have put forth ideas including brands, retailers, non-profits, rep groups and others.

We Need You: We need your voice. We need your support. And we need your creative ideas at unity.outdoorretailer.com. Please visit the site and lend your ideas to the community. We will provide updates on what we’ve gathered on Monday, February 27th.

Thank you,

Marisa Nicholson
Show Director of Outdoor Retailer
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #79 (permalink)

And from yesterdays meeting with Herbert....

"Outdoor Industry Association, representing more than 1200 outdoor businesses nationally, including more than 50 in Utah, today held a call with Utah Governor Gary Herbert in an effort to achieve a common understanding of the value Americans place on our public lands and our right to access those lands for recreation.

OIA was joined on the call by the leadership of Patagonia, The North Face, REI and Outdoor Retailer.

Unfortunately, what we heard from Governor Herbert was more of the same. It is clear that the governor indeed has a different perspective on the protections of public lands from that of our members and the majority of Western state voters, both Republicans and Democrats – that’s bad for our American heritage, and it’s bad for our businesses. We are therefore continuing our search for a new home as soon as possible."

https://outdoorindustry.org/article/...rticles,policy

So off they go....

Maybe we can get a Masonry convention to take their place...hear there's going to be a lot of wall building soon
Catherder and Kwalk3 like this.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
Outdoor Retailers has been wanting to leave Utah for years. How many articles have we seen where they complain about not enough floor space, wanting the convention center torn down and rebuilt etc etc. This latest thing is nothing new... they have wanted a excuse to leave for too long, now they have it and like a petulant child, want to slam the door on the way out of the room while crying "SO THERE!"

Let'em go. Maybe the outdoor expo in southtown can use the SLC convention center now. Thats a way better show anyway.

-DallanC
Couldn't agree more, for years they have been lobbying for Salt Lake to build a large hotel near the convention center to accommodate the show. Every time a proposal has come up people are up in arms that Utah would even consider using tax dollars to incentivize the development of the hotel. Now the Outdoor Retailer show is using the public lands argument as a scape goat. (Great PR move on there part to make Utah look like the villain) There is obviously a lot more the story than we are hearing in the news. I would wager that the plan all along was for the OR show was not to renew the contract at the end of 2018. The grass must appear greener on the other side.
Vanilla likes this.
toymanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.