> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,561
Threads: 56,878
Welcome to our newest member, SportEAR
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default One sportsman's view on National Monuments.

Is the sky really falling?

http://www.fieldandstream.com/sports...numents#page-3
colorcountrygunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Any thing is just speculation at this point. A whole lot people think the end of the world is near. It is a special place and it I liked how it was but Mr Bishop et all pretty much guaranteed that that it was a NM or worse. The PLI. Was nothing more than a bunch of b's to allow development.
I know there are a bunch of people who hate federal oversight but it was always managed by the Feds before but Bishop couldn't accept that. Tough @@@t. He made it worse by forcing the issue.
7MM RELOADED likes this.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is anyone on this forum claiming that the sky is falling? If so, I have missed it.
7MM RELOADED likes this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Antiquities Act was needed in it's day, but not anymore. These sites and the ecosystem were already protected under BLM and USFS management plans. Momument status, unless under heavy surveillance by armed guard, will not prevent what may have happened as the link to the Smithsonian article portrayed.

I wish people would quit thinking this area [Bears Ears] is ripe for "drill, baby, drill" because it wasn't, isn't, or ever would be. This is because the area is limited by topography, lack of reserves (dry hole markers show that), NEPA, and cultural protection initiatives to name a few.

I suppose it's ok to have input from local tribes, but they are not totally and discreetly ancestral to the region. Someone was there first many millenia ago (read the article link about 'looters' from the above F&S link). They are just not the most recent new comers to the area. I do not believe they should have complete autonomy over the management use plan, that has not been written yet by the way as monument plans are done after the designation (and can change with each new Congress). They pretty much got what they wanted as usual.

Is the sky falling? Not yet, maybe never. Time will tell. I am quite certain though the monument does not need to encompass 2/3 of Blue Mountain...
archerben likes this.
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
PBH

High Desert: I guess we can look at it from the other side too: why not designate it?

What will change? It was Federal land and it still is Federal land.
On the GSENM, cattle grazing is still allowed. Hunting is still allowed. ATVs are still allowed. The only difference on the GSENM is that the area is protected from future oil and gas exploitation. If the Bear's Ears area is a poor candidate for oil and gas (and coal and timber), then why should it matter if it is protected from future drilling??
wyogoob, wyoming2utah and gdog like this.

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Why, why, why? Please tell me WHY our (state and local) political leaders are so vehemently apposed. It can't be it's just some high and mighty ideological stance about over reach...no...I am just not buying that crap. I know there is a lot of just plain old "Obama hate" going on, but it just seems to be something more. Money is, has been and always will be the big motivator behind politicians but I can't even see where that might be coming from...Help me understand, please.
7MM RELOADED likes this.
BPturkeys is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

PBH, you can't compare this one to the Grand Staircase. Go to this website
http://bearsearscoalition.org and decide for yourself. The "proposal" is this will be managed with the tribes interests first. Not necessarily a bad thing, but nevertheless, first.

Does it matter what their take is on the area? Sure it does. But so does mine and yours. If it is managed primarily by BLM and USFS, everyone will get to have a say, not just one special interest group.

There was another post from another thread by johnnycake that outlined a "far fetched" sceanrio that may not be that far fetched at all...
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think NM still have there placeand so does the antiquities act although I can agree it shouldn't be used to designate millions of acres in one sitting. Bears ears IMO if it stays a monument or its current size will remain open to hunting and angling and recreating. Thats what I truly believe and that's what I hope for. Where's the outrage in San Juan County over this:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4784759-1...-block-road-to

If I have my choice between that and a monument, I'll take the monument.
#1DEER 1-I is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
PBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Elk View Post
Go to the website http://bearsearscoalition.org and decide for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive Summary from BearsEarsCoalition.org
Objectives
In keeping with this mission, the Coalition advances the following objectives:
(1) True collaborative management through the federally created Bears Ears Commission, to include representatives from each of the five Coalition Tribes as well as from three federal land management agencies, who will cooperatively develop a culturally and environmentally sensitive comprehensive management plan consistent with President Obama's proclamation and then carry out the monument’s management;
(2) The integration of Traditional Knowledge into the monument’s land management practices and the creation of a world-class Bears Ears Traditional Knowledge Institute, where experts and lay people alike can learn from the rich intersection of Western and traditional Native world views;
(3) Expanded law enforcement capacity to safeguard tribal antiquities, finally putting an
end to the inexcusable, centuries-long grave-robbing, looting, and destruction of some of the most precious archaeological sites in the world;
(4) A permanent withdrawal from mining covering all lands within the monument, and
withdrawal from all other forms of leasing, selections, sales, exchange, and disposition, other than those exchanges that further the purposes of the monument;
(5) Restriction of motorized vehicle use to existing and designated roads and trails, consistent with the purposes of the monument and with a transportation plan that prioritizes pristine and roadless areas within the monument;
(6) The continuation of existing, compatible local uses such as climbing, firewood gathering, grazing, hunting according to state and tribal law, and the Native American collection of medicines, herbs, and ceremonial plants;
(7) Boundaries encompassing 1.9 million acres to protect the area’s unparalleled cultural antiquities as well as the ecological integrity of the greater Canyonlands Basin;
(8 ) Management of recreational activities and other uses to allow for the continued enjoyment of the Bears Ears landscape in ways that honor and preserve its legacy for the public forever.

Remind me: what's bad about this?

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post

Remind me: what's bad about this?
PBH, for many it is because Obama did it, and because fear has been mongered by local politicians about this locking the public out. As of now there is absolutely nothing within that designation that is a threat to recreation, hunting, or wildlife management at this point. Yes the tribes will be involved in planning, but so will local and state interests. In fact right now, it is written out pretty plainly that it could be business as usual for everything except mining and drilling. Lets sit back and actually see how it unfolds before you say anything I said is wrong, because there's no proof anything will affect much at this point, with the exception of exempting these lands from ever being sold and continuing to remain in public hands. Like I said I'd rather see a National Monument sign when driving into an area than a locked private gate like in the link above.
7MM RELOADED likes this.
#1DEER 1-I is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.