> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,644
Threads: 57,200
Welcome to our newest member, tophunter
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Legislative score cards

Here it is. The Sierra Club rates our legislators based on their votes on bills that have to do with conservation. You can look up your Senator and Representative here. Just enter your zip code. You can get contact information quite easily. Put their phone numbers in your phone.

http://le.utah.gov/Documents/find.htm

Then look up their scores here:

https://utah.sierraclub.org/content/...tive-scorecard

Keep in mind that the Sierra Club takes a broad view of all conservation issues, not all of which directly impact hunters and fishermen. But at least it's a starting point, and give us information we can talk to our legislators about. I encourage everybody to review the scores, the bills, then talk to those who are supposed to represent us.

Note that both my representative and senator scored 100%.

Can we make this a sticky?

Last edited by paddler; 04-03-2015 at 04:16 PM.
paddler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think it is fair to post legislative score cards where it relates to outdoor issues. The Sierra Club certainly has a take on things which is worthy of consideration. They are one of many organizations with differing views on outdoors issues. If there are other organizations that provide their own "legislative score cards" I would encourage anyone to post a link to those here as well.

Politics is a very touchy thing on the forum - but I think there are some very important issues that affect how we enjoy the outdoors that are determined in the political playgrounds.

The UWN is politically neutral and doesn't affiliate or favor one organization or another. While individuals in the forum, and even the mods all have our own opinions and often share them, the UWN does not. It is only a forum for discussion.

So that said, and knowing our rules about addressing politics - as you post links to legislative scorecards for your organization, please just post the link and leave it at that in this thread.

Thanks!
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"
GaryFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

90% of the management of wildlife is politics. Including restoration, relocation, tag allocation, youth hunts, LE, general hunts............okay 99% of it is politics.

With regards to wildlife management it would appear that it is more intended to be forum not for discussion if politics are to be left entirely out of the conversation. I don't get it. If people keep things civil one would think that any discussion regarding wildlife could provide something that positively affects wildlife, hunting, fishing and the management of it.

I know..........rules are rules.
Kwalk3 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I absolutely agree with you Mr. Muleskinner. And I think we have several of those civil political discussions going on right now - several about the attempt to transfer public lands to state control seems to be one of the hot tickets lately. Keep those up because I think there are some REALLY GOOD discussions happening.

For this thread, where it is a place to post legislative score cards, I think it can be more meaningful as a resource to compare how different organizations rate things. I'd hope to see links to other organizations as well - the NRA, RMEF, MDF, TU, DU, PF, etc.... If there are specific issues related to a single organization, or a single issue, those might be better served as their own thread.
Bax* and Mr Muleskinner like this.
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"
GaryFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

i took a look at the bills on which legislators were rated: replace school buses, motor vehicle emissions, wood stoves, a bill on public land law enforcement, bill boards, hybrid -electric car issues and the lake powell/bear river pipelines.

not sure i see a lot of either conservation or wildlife issues here and i sure could not tell if my representatives were either pro/con wildlife/conservation from these rankings on these issues.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

An outdoor group taking political advice from the Sierra Club is like an LDS youth counsel taking party advice from the local strip bar. We don't really agree on anything.
Huge29 likes this.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm just here for the lsd and strippers
wyogoob and CAExpat like this.
Spotnstalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg View Post
An outdoor group taking political advice from the Sierra Club is like an LDS youth counsel taking party advice from the local strip bar. We don't really agree on anything.
Not necessarily true. Many things to disagree with them on, but there are also conservation causes to join hands with them on as well. Deep pockets and an organized voice get things done politically, and in some instances we would be wise to work with them on protecting public lands. The score card is certainly not sportsmen specific, and I wish there were a more directly relevant score card.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotnstalk View Post
I'm just here for the lsd and strippers

Finally, the voice of reason.

Bax* likes this.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Testing, testing, 1-2-3

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.