> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 9,136
Threads: 47,472
Welcome to our newest member, TFreame
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Cabela's Warranty on store brand boots

What would be your expectation on what the warranty is on Cabela's own brand of boots based on this quote from their return policy? http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custser ... z_l=Footer
Quote:
Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear and defects in workmanship.
So based on this information:
1-What is the warranty period?
2-What is normal wear and tear for hunting boots (not dress shoes)?
I am just wondering if I have lost my mind or if this is what I originally thought as being deceptive based on my recent experience.
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cabela's Warranty on store brand boots

The phrase "lifetime of the product" leaves the door open for them to refuse to warranty the item. On pair of boots, however, MY interpretation of the lifetime of the product would be until the tread is worn off the soles.

http://www.AGAproducts.com
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you look at some of the boots in the bargin cave you would think that they take anything at any condition back.
Fowlmouth likes this.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wore a pair of Danners hard for 3-4 months until the insides started warping and rubbing hard on my feet. I brought them in stinky, dirty, and with a lot of tread gone, and they gave me a full refund. I couldn't believe it, but I think they take the Walmart approach to returns a lot of the time.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowgy
If you look at some of the boots in the bargain cave you would think that they take anything at any condition back.
That same thought crossed my mind also.

They have decided that lifetime means one year. They have also decided that hunting boots should not have any scuffs on the side of the boot are outside of the normal wear and tear for hunting boots. I asked for her manager and the manager of the second guy, no one could answer why they don't just call it a one-year warranty. Not that I agree or disagree with how long a boot should be warranted, but I find their move to be very deceptive. In my case, the boots are $160 and I have really liked them until the seam opened up near the knuckle area where snow and ice now enters and quickly makes feet become wet. I have had them for about three years and I wear them no more than 10 times/year with likely a total of 20 days ever used, the tread is still 75%. To pay about $8/day seems ridiculous to me. This has really soured my mouth towards the company. I stayed totally professional, but firm in that I completely disagree with their policy. I will just have them repaired and likely not spend my money there anymore. What made me the most upset is how the last lady just could not believe that I had taken these really nice boots out and totally misused them by allowing rocks and limbs to scratch the boot, apparently these were meant for church attendance, not hunting...
brookieguy1 and phorisc like this.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I did buy a pair for an elk hunt and wore them for 3 months pryor to break them in. On the 2nd day of the hunt it rained and my feet were soaked, I sent them back because they were supposed to be water proof, after I had them about 5 months they gave me a full refund.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

The cabelas back country hikers are my favorite boot priced below any of the Kennetrek boots. I think they are about $70. I buy a pair and wear them out in about a year. They shred through shoe laces. Everytime I have brought them back when the seems bust they give me another set. They are a good boot and they keep you on the mountain. Instead of returning them I have started to just re-purchase the boots out of guilt. I feel it is one of the hight quality boots for under $100 and keeps me in the mountains doing what I love.

I have purchase Hi-tech boots and they have not lasted me 1 outing. I have also purchased Merrills that have not lasted me 1 outing as well. I guess that I am really hard on boots, but the rebound on the Back Country Hikers keeps me in the hills and away from sprained ankles. They are waterproof and do a good job giving me the strength to ge a little farther. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products
Nambaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I go through boots quite a bit with work so I've been buying Cabela's brand for a while. I've had to return some because their dry-plus didn't keep my feet dry. I haven't had any grief at all taking them in. And I even took one pair in caked with mud. I do keep the box and I put the receipt in the box so I don't have to dig around for it when I do need to take them in.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I just took them to a shoe repair place, he was amazed that they use cotton string instead of nylon. $9 and they will be nearly as good as new. I am only miffed by the deceptive wording of the policy, clearly written to mislead IMHO.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I took my 17-year old Sorels with a big hole in them and he fixed those too for $7, I don't know how those places stay in business with such minimal charges. I had him fix three overall and very happy with the work.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.