> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,610
Threads: 57,041
Welcome to our newest member, Delta088
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Garmin Huntview, ONXmaps gps chip, or ONXmaps phone app

What are you guys using right now and how do you like it?

About to purchase one of these this week. I tried the ONXmaps 7 day trial and it was decent, but I really don't like paying subscription fees.
NVDuckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 64st and use the ONXmaps chip. I love it. I used it on a LE Elk hunt this year on a unit I had never set foot on, and it proved to be invaluable. The unit had portions of private and CWMU land and that chip let us know exactly where we were. Totally worth the money in my opinion. And there is not a subscription fee with the chip.
SidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you buy a onxmaps product, use "randy16" as a discount code. For a single state phone/computer subscription, it takes $6 off and ends up being $23.99. They had a better discount code a month or so back...but this is the best I could find for now.

I have been using TraxGPS chips in my Garmin for the past few years and its worked well, but I think the phone based onxmaps will work better for me. Understanding you have to download the map areas to the phone before going out of cel coverage is a bit of a pain, but the detail and ease of using my iPhone 6S Plus with larger screen is a big bonus. Also, being able to use the program on a computer for pre-hunt planning is a big plus (which is included). The TraxGPS was around $80 for the chip and then you have to update every year for $30. The onxmaps subscription is $26 with the discount without the upfront chip fee.

I'm giving it a go to see how it compares...
wyogoob likes this.

Last edited by gdog; 10-05-2016 at 11:45 AM.
gdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not trying to take away from gdog's code, but if you use code "hush" for your app purchase it takes 20% off. So there is that for you if you decide to go that way.
gdog and NVDuckin like this.
bekins24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekins24 View Post
I'm not trying to take away from gdog's code, but if you use code "hush" for your app purchase it takes 20% off. So there is that for you if you decide to go that way.
Well, you talked me into it with that 20% off.
NVDuckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used OnXMaps once and it failed me, couldn't get anything to show up once we lost internet access. I had previously cached the maps for the unit we were to be in.

I've looked long and hard for a good map app... with decent costs, and I've found one. Its called US Topo Maps Pro and costs $11... thats a one time cost. Best of all:

*** ALL MAPS ARE FREE IF YOU HAVE THE APP!!! ***

I love this app. You can cache off regions, saved on your SDCard of your phone, and caching is super duper simple. You zoom out until you can see the entire area you want to cache, enter the save map mode, and it will bring up a blue box. Drag corners around until it covers the entire area you are interested in, hit select and it will ask you how much detail you want to have (basically zoom factor), I always select the max, and it will go pull down ALL of the maps for that area. There are like 20 layers of things you can turn on and off... USGS, Topo, ownership... its all there.

You can import all kinds of map data as well, including DWR KML maps for unit boundrys. Used it today in Wyoming pronghorn hunting and it worked like a champ.

When you get to your spot, you can turn on the app and let it run and the GPS will build a trail of where you went, incase you get lost you can backtrack... or send the route to a friend or whatever. I've yet to find a downside to this thing... and it was only $11 !

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hamerica&hl=en

OnXmaps generally has a favorable following, but I hate the yearly costs for maps... but worst of all, after forking out all the $$$ for the unit maps I needed, the **** thing failed me and wouldnt work.

-DallanC
APD likes this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

So .... follow up: Are the OnXmap chip and the subscription completely separate products? The benefit of scouting on a computer screen before seems huge. Does the chip not enable that at all?
SLCHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

DallanC or others,
What is the equivalent to US Topo Maps Pro (Android based) for an iPhone?
nickpan likes this.
Oppertunist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

I use an android phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) with Backcountry Navigator.
Backcountry Navigator has some add ons that show hunt boundaries.

I really like this set up, and it's a lot less expensive than the OnX stuff.
ssssnake529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

I use the onXmaps in both my GPS and my phone and love it. It is much easier to use and much more detailed on my phone but obviously a lot of times I don't have service and I will default to the GPS with the chip but I highly recommend them!
huntn30inchers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.