Garmin Huntview, ONXmaps gps chip, or ONXmaps phone app - Page 2 - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,610
Threads: 57,041
Welcome to our newest member, Delta088
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Im interested in this US Topo Maps Pro, but I use IOS devices. Cant seem to find it in Apple App store. So it shows private land? And does it show who the owner is like OnX Maps does?
american_jackal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

iOS was the dominant os for quite a while and the majority of apps were developed on it. Today, iOS is now fallen below 18% of the market place (and falling), with Android being over 81% followed by Microsoft. With that and the absolutely asinine requirements Apple enforces an app to conform to for iOS release, most developers are now choosing to skip iOS for their new apps. Its just not worth the time investment vs money returned. Sorry iOS fans.

As for property ownership maps, all of this can be had in many different ways. I never hunt an area that I haven't already scoured or researched prior to hunting. In the field, I either already know who owns XYZ, or I dont care, meaning I only want to know public vs not public. Having that functionality in the app itself is irrelevant, I use other tools on my home PC to find names of property info (county recorders office... its usually way way more accurate than OnX).

US Topo maps allows you to turn on many different map types. If you want to manually download a map from your recorders office you should be able to import and load it, but you would have to manage that manually.

-DallanC
CAExpat likes this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

I used the ONX phone app extensively on hunts in Utah and Wyoming last year. I had zero issues with it. I know there have been issues in the past, but it served me very well and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'll second Dallan on the US Topo Maps Pro... I have been using it for years as well (I bought it back when it was $3.99) and I'm not very technologically savvy so I've yet to even scratch the surface with the mapping capabilities.

Heck, I didn't even know it had the ownership maps until Dallan mentioned something on another thread about this a while back... and I've not tried importing KML stuff into it yet.

It's worth the $11.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwalk3 View Post
I used the ONX phone app extensively on hunts in Utah and Wyoming last year. I had zero issues with it. I know there have been issues in the past, but it served me very well and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone.
OnX was awesome for me for all the testing I did with it getting familiar in the months leading up to my hunt. Opening day of my hunt in a area of WY with complicated landowner boundrys, it puked. I only got blank screens, none of my cached maps would come through. After screwing around with it for too long, I turned it off, dug out the paper maps and did it the old way.

YMMV.

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
OnX was awesome for me for all the testing I did with it getting familiar in the months leading up to my hunt. Opening day of my hunt in a area of WY with complicated landowner boundrys, it puked. I only got blank screens, none of my cached maps would come through. After screwing around with it for too long, I turned it off, dug out the paper maps and did it the old way.

YMMV.

-DallanC
That sucks really bad. Im not doubting you at all, i just didnt have the same experience.

I relied on it heavily. The unit I was hunting in wyoming is one that is listed as difficult public access. No fences to delineate public and private, and the outfitter patrolled the private religiously making sure no one was setting foot on it. Without it I would have been screwed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.