»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,643
Threads: 57,194
Welcome to our newest member, dmchris

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This is the one my wife uses.
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspeters View Post
Did you find out if the wattage can be reduced? I don't know if ours were reduced or not.
Seems like it, I'll know more when i get them in hand and program them. I love the thought of being able to run them at legal power, but if there is a true emergency you can blast out a signal everywhere. Honestly, if you were using them on legal channels but at fullpower out on the NorthSlope or Bookcliffs... west desert etc etc, no-one is going to care. If a family were running them in a high populated area full power, say Disneyland, I'll bet you get a visit from the FCC and the $25,000 minimum fine.

Apparently my Credit card company flagged my order as suspicious so I'm getting all that crap reapproved. /sigh

Plenty of time to get it all straightened out and get them here for Christmas.

-DallanC
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspeters View Post
Did you find out if the wattage can be reduced? I don't know if ours were reduced or not.
Confirmed. You can program it to be high/low power with a hotkey option to boost it to High for a short time (assuming you programmed that channel to be low).

I pretty much just used the free CHIRP program and found a default file with settings for GMRS/MURS/FRS channels (GMRS-MURS-FRS1-7-and-1-COP.img).

I wouldn't say this was foolproof to get programmed. I had issues getting the proper USB->COMx driver to work in windows (gotta use a older one for some odd reason). Once that was solved I learned every radio is different (even among the same models) so you first have to "clone" a specific radio's data (dumps it to the PC), where you can then import in the settings from the above file. At that point you can push all of it back up to the radio. Repeat for the other radios.

Seems to work great. Lots and lots of settings on the radio... I really recommend setting A band to a channel, B band to another channel for every radio then hit the "CHANNEL LOCK" key so other users don't accidentally bump something and switch channels.

Still, so far... love the radios. They are hefty for as small as they are, seem really powerful. Still learning all of the other gizmo's and settings (flashlight, FM Radio, Weather service alerts etc etc). I bought cases with straps that can snap onto a belt, go over the shoulder etc etc to reduce the chance of loosing one. I also bought some earpiece / mic units for quiet "sitting in a blind" type use. Those seem to work great too, put the radio in a pocket under layers of clothing with just the wiring coming up to your head like a SWAT officer. LOL

I might get a new whip antenna for them, apparently you stick a good dual band Nagoya antenna on them and it will boost the power output even more.

-DallanC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 11:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Very cool, thank for the update. I'll most likely be ordering a couple sometime this year.
Rspeters is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Bringing this back from the grave today... DallanC, How have those Boateng radios work out for you?
Dirtbag08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

The baofengs work GREAT! No complaints with them so far. I bought some extended batteries, and they seriously last a week of use out camping or hunting. The only issue with the extended batteries is they no longer fit the shoulder case things we bought. I bought some ear bud / mic things that work ok, also bought some microphones that you clip to your lapel or shoulder... those work better but are louder. They were fine out in the bookcliffs on running ATVs to talk.

I've programmed in some more channels via the CHIRP software. I've added police and sheriff dept channels to transmit on... ***ONLY FOR SERIOUS EMERGENCYS***. I found out its legal to transmit on those channels if its indeed a emergency. The unit has alot of memory for various channels. Also add the Weather service frequency for safety.

Updating is a little strange, it works best to use the software to pull the programmed codes out of each radio, make changes, then push it back to the unit one at a time. Even though they are identical units, it doesn't always work to try and push one set of programmed codes to each unit. Just do them all one at a time and its GTG.

Transmission range is really good, get on even a bit of a hill and you can TTX for miles and miles. Mountain peak to mountain peak some people have hit 30 miles of TTX range.

As is, its a FANTASTIC unit for the paultry amount of money they cost (under $30!). No functional problems so far, extremely pleased with them. Add a solar panel to your kit, and these would be awesome SHTF type survival systems.

My only advice with them is to keep using them. They have so many features if I stick them on a shelf for a couple months I get them back out and have to reacquaint myself with some of the obscure features (now how did that flashlight turn on again...? lol).

Extended batteries:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-BAOFENG-...cAAOSwWKtUvtWq

-DallanC
Old 05-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

It doesn't really matter how much a radio cost to a point what matters is the watts it will pushing. If the radio is on the FRS channels there only rated for .5 watts, the GMRS radios can only legally push 5 watts but unless it's an expensive radio it probably only has 1 or so watts. Baofeng radios are 5 watt and the newer model is 7 watts so they will work over longer distances but the radio itself is not a type specific radio that can be used with FRS or GMRS frequencies. It doesn't matter if you can turn the power down or not it's illegal to use the Baofeng to transmit over FRS or GMRS frequencies. Yes the radio can be programed to use FRS, GMRS and Ham frequencies. Lots of guys are using the Baofeng and I'm not to sure how the FCC would ever figure out your not using a type specific radio but just be aware.
Now I wouldn't mess around on the Ham frequencies unless you have a license as there's a bunch of old gray hairs setting around listening to there radio's who would like nothing else then to break out there tracking equipment and go on a field trip to track the offender down.
Even with a 5 to 7 watt radio you're still only transmitting over line of sight, if you and your buddy are on opposite sides of a ridge chances are you won't be able to talk to each other.
muddydogs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #28 (permalink)

Muddydogs addressed my next question for DallanC. I have done little (though some) as to the legality of the Baofeng without a licence. So you are saying that not matter what frequency you turn it down to, the Baofeng isn't legal without a license? Did i understand that correctly?
Old 05-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #29 (permalink)

Sorry, little (though some) research
Old 05-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

Baofeng is typed (which is an FFC classification) as a ham radio, it's not typed by the FCC for FRS or GMRS frequencies. So the only frequencies the Baofeng is legal for are the Ham bands and what Ham frequencies one can use depends on the type of Ham license the user holds. It doesn't matter if you could set the watt the radio would put out to .5 for FRS if it's not typed it's not legal.

I looked into the MURS frequencies a while ago but I just don't remember what's what with them. I don't think the Baofeng is typed for them as well.

It costs some money but if you want true non cell phone communication check into the Garmin InReach. The Inreach has two way satellite texting, location tracking and emergency rescue. An Inreach unit cost around $300 they have different subscription plans but about the best plan for me is $300 a year as well.
muddydogs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.