Utah Wildlife Forum banner

The last hurrah.

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DallanC 
#1 ·
A buddy and I went up this morning to the local pond that remains iced over. It was with a touch of melancholy as there is a strong likelihood that today will be the years last hard deck trip. There was still plenty of ice, (+/- 20 inches) but some edges were getting dicey and the top layer is becoming rotten and an occasional step will go into an underlying slush layer. We were only there for a half day and action was a bit slower than it had been previously. I caught a dozen and my buddy got a few more than that. The fish were there, many marks, they just weren't biting much. In spite of that, the ole lake sent me off with a couple of nice consolation prizes in a chunky 19 inch bow in spawning colors (doh, no pics) and the slot buster below. Both were released.

Towards the end of the morning, a couple bluebirds flew out and landed on the ice near us for a minute. I think they were telling us that spring is coming and its time to put away the auger.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.