Utah Wildlife Forum banner

.284 cal for Elk?

6K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  KineKilla 
#1 ·
Ok, so before tonight I had no doubt the .284 cal bullet was more than adequate for elk with the right weight bullet of course. Then when talking to a guide about the rifle I was going to build for my daughter (7mm mag or 280 AI) he suggested I stay away from anything in the .284 caliber. He said in his experience as a guide hes seen more elk lost to the .284 calibers than all other calibers. His claim is the small diameter and high velocities lead to real small entrance and exit wounds which seal up and leave virtually no blood trail. Now normally I would have chalked it up to simply one guys opinion other than I had already heard those same things from another guy who's been around the block more than a time or two. Both suggested staying with a minimum of .30 cal for an elk gun. SO....I need some reassurance from all you .284 people out there that I'm not going down the wrong path with a .284 cal rifle for elk at ranges out to 500 yards max.

#34 ·
I used to get sucked into discussions like this until I found an old copy of field and stream from decades ago. I was thumbing through it and it had a survey. "What is your go to caliber for hunting elk?" Guess which one was the top rated? - 30/30 - Yep the classic lever action saddle gun. I've always wondered why we all shoot larger calibers now. I am even guilty of it. (7mm rem mag) I can only conclude that there are fewer animals and more hunters so the equipment needs to perform better at greater distances. I've shot the 30/30 I have many times and have shot deer with it.. .. but. . .... I don't know if I would take it elk hunting. Of course I have no data to back this up other than my own word.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.