»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 7,624
Threads: 45,456
Welcome to our newest member, krazy888

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
3X4

Default Hornady A-max

Has anyone used the a-max as a hunting bullet. I just ordered some 208 grain bullets to load up in my 300rum. Just curious if anybody's tried them on big game.
3X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hornady A-max

The A-Max can be used for hunting according to Hornady, but the jacket really isn't tapered much to control expansion and they are considered quite "soft" or easily expanded.

The problem that you would run into is that the .300 Rem Ultra Mag is a very high velocity round - and if you couple that with a very soft bullet like the A-Max you are asking for explosive entry but shallow entry and very poor penetration except at the longest of ranges. Results could be a quick kill or a wounded animal that gets away. Certainly results wouldn't be predictable or consistent. The RUM's velocity just over-stresses the bullet on contact with flesh and turns it into a varmint bullet. The harder they hit the more expansion - which is not well controlled in the target-oriented A-Max and the core can (and probably would) separate from the jacket or even if it stays together, the huge mushroom that opens so early acts as a brake on penetration. The bigger the game, the more chance of failure.

While your 208-gr bullet is quite heavy for caliber and thus definitely slower, it would be a crapshoot if velocity was still slow enough to make them work. There is also the idea that you are defeating the purpose of a Ultra high velocity magnum by using such heavy and slow bullets rather than 180s or something.

If you used them in a .308 or '06 then things would probably turn out much better due to their lower velocity.
When you have a high-velocity Magnum you need tough bullets that hang together when striking flesh and bone at high velocity. This means premium bullets like the Partition, TSX, Trophy Bonded, AccuBond, InterBond and A-Frame. They may not all be target accurate, but they are, in reality, more accurate than we can place the bullet in the field from a field position. The miss would be the result of the shooter, not any minor deficit of 1/4 or 1/2 MOA in accuracy. And the results would be consistently and boringly good if placed correctly.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
This means premium bullets like the Partition, TSX, Trophy Bonded, AccuBond, InterBond and A-Frame.
+1 on the TSX, Trophy Bonded and Accubonds!
No experience with the others.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

I recommend the Tipped TSX. Less than 1 inch at 200 yards with my 308.
jungle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.