Threads: 57,225
Welcome to our newest member, jarhead1229
View Poll Results: To Crimp or Not to Crimp, That is the Question
I never crimp rifle bullets. 9 20.93%
I crimp rifle bullets for magnums. 2 4.65%
I crimp rifle bullets for guns with tubular magazines. 12 27.91%
I've never crimped rifle bullets but I hate it. 3 6.98%
I crimp rifle bullets most of the time. 4 9.30%
I'd like to sign up for Goober's Rifle Bullet Crimping Protection Plan 13 30.23%
All of the above. 6 13.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyogoob View Post
Roll crimping may not be as consistent as crimping with a collet-type crimp die. When roll crimping it's important that the cases are trimmed to the same length. With a factory crimp die the cases can be different lengths To a point of course).

Here's some tips for load-to-load consistency using a Lee Factory Crimp Die:

> Measure the case mouth before and after crimping to set the amount of crimp. A 0.002" pinch is a light crimp, 0.004" is heavy.
> Adjusting the petals on the die until they just close when running the die up will normally produce a heavy crimp.
> Cut a thin strip of printer paper (normal 20# weight) and insert it between the die petals. Adjust the die until the petals just grab the paper. That's about a 0.002" pinch, a light crimp.

Curious, I randomly grabbed a box of .223 factory Remington ammo and measured the crimps. The "liability" crimps on those were anywhere from 0.0005" to 0.002". I don't know if that's good or bad, so I just grabbed an arm load of factory green n yellows and set out to measure the crimps on a bunch of them.

First, they're not all that easy to measure. Second, I could back off on the de-burring of the case mouth on some of them.

Taking an average of 5 crimp depth measurements on factory ammo of each caliber here's what I got:
.223 0.002" inconsistent
.243 0.002"
6.5 Remington Mag 0.002"
.270 0.002"
7mm-08 0.002"
35 Whelen 0.001"
300 Win Mag 0.0015" inconsistent
338 RUM 0.004" very consistent

Note: Some of the ammo tested maybe over 25 years old, 6.5 Remington for example. The crimp depths on the older ammo was more consistent than the those on the newer ammo.

Then I checked some of my reloads with Lee Factory Die crimps. Most were around 0.002". Some .308s and 35 Rems reloaded 30 yrs ago were pushing 0.004". I pulled a bullet on one of my 250 Savage reloads that had a 0.004" deep crimp to see if the jacket underneath was damaged and it was fine; no bulging of the projectile as measured with calipers.

Well, there goes 2 hours I'll never get back.

Goob I didn't know you were a real manly man and shot a 338 RUM. We are not worthy
ZEKESMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #192 (permalink)
Administrator

Default 35 Remington

I just ran these 35 Remingtons with 200 grain FTXs:

From left to right:
1) Setting up the Lee Factory Crimp Die (LFC)1/2 turn in. Not much of a crimp yet.
2) Die turned all the way in until petals are tight. Pretty heavy crimp.
3 & 4) Light LFC crimp
5) An RCBS roll crimp for comparison. Medium crimp in my opinion.

The venerable .35 Remington is used in Remington's old recoil-operated semi-auto models 8 and 81, and in Rem pump models 141, 6, 760, and 7600 among others. The Rem 141 is a tubular magazine rifle. There's a considerable amount of recoil and I always crimp for the 141 in a .35.

If you like old firearms you gotta love the 8 and 81 semi-autos. They were used by the FBI, Texas Rangers, other law enforcement officers and prison guards. If you ever loaded and emptied a 15-round box of .35 Rem out of an old model 8 you would appreciate a hearty crimp.

I'm learning how to take close-up pictures with my smart phone.

It's true, I'm not making this up. I have a smart phone.

Last edited by wyogoob; 04-14-2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: had #3 on the wrong line
wyogoob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #193 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Brass needs to be same length for roll crimp

To make consistent roll crimps it's important that each brass be trimmed to the exact length.

The brass on the left is trimmed short so it didn't get much of a crimp. The brass on the right is OK, it's what I like for .35 rem 250 grain round nose bullet.

That picture is not too bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #194 (permalink)
Administrator

Default nobody's doing the big guns anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEKESMAN View Post
Goob I didn't know you were a real manly man and shot a 338 RUM. We are not worthy
Thanks, I think. It's a flipping cannon, sort of a 340 Weatherby with a different shoulder.

Like my 460 S&W; if you miss an elk with the 338 RUM the concussion will kill it.

ZEKESMAN likes this.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:05 AM   #195 (permalink)
Administrator

35 Remington 147 grain cast - Roll crimps on plinking loads for the Model 8 & Model 81 autoloaders:

I would call these heavy crimps:

OK, OK, these pics are a little out of focus. I'll work on it.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #196 (permalink)

Have you had a chance to chronograph any of the crimped vs. un-crimped loads to see how the variances change?

I know you mentioned your eyesight, but how about the POI shift any change there?

I'm really trying to see if crimping would make any beneficial difference in a rifle that already shoots un-crimped reloads very well, or in a rifle where finding the right load has proven difficult...you know the type...the one that seems to shoot a load combination 1/2" one day then 1.5" the next.

Maybe crimping would add an additional layer of consistency to it?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #197 (permalink)

Quote:
OK, OK, these pics are a little out of focus. I'll work on it.

AvE on youtube can give you some pointers (roflmao!)

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #198 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KineKilla View Post
Have you had a chance to chronograph any of the crimped vs. un-crimped loads to see how the variances change?
Only shot a few 250 Savage and then the weather and all the snow got me. The few I compared tightened up the fps deviation some (I think 7fps) and I gained an average of 20 fps on the loads. I've chronographed less than 25 shots, so I'm not making any judgements just yet. Like I said before - I don't crimp for bolt actions. I'm doing out of curiosity more than anything. I have baselines on .308s, 6.5 Rem Mags, 30-06s, 256 Newton and another caliber, (have to look it up), bolt action tests of course.

I know you mentioned your eyesight, but how about the POI shift any change there?
Sadly I don't think I'm going to be able to run that comparison. Eyesight has deteriorated since I ran the baselines.

I'm really trying to see if crimping would make any beneficial difference in a rifle that already shoots un-crimped reloads very well, or in a rifle where finding the right load has proven difficult...you know the type...the one that seems to shoot a load combination 1/2" one day then 1.5" the next.
Me too, and with rifles that were shooting like were lazers when I put them away the closet a number of years ago. I'm blaming it on eyesight problems.

Maybe crimping would add an additional layer of consistency to it? yeah, maybe
see red
Old 04-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #199 (permalink)
Administrator

Default 22 rimfire crimps are heavy

Kind of an interesting picture I found in my files. Don't know where it came from or what brand the ammo is:
Old 06-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #200 (permalink)
Administrator

Default I've jammed a few of them babies, let me tell ya.

Quote:
Kind of an interesting picture I found in my files. Don't know where it came from or what brand the ammo is:
Boy, looking back at all the .22 bullets I've jammed in .22 pump rifles and semi-auto pistols I'm glad they're crimped.

Uh, anyone know what the crimp in the middle of the case is for?

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.