> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,520
Threads: 56,720
Welcome to our newest member, sshuntn
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default 6.5 Remington Mag

Going through high school in the 60s in the Midwest I dreamed of some day going on big game hunts in the Rocky Mountains using "wildcat" guns like the 25-06 and the 6.5 Remington Magnum. Well here I am, in Wyoming for nearly 35 years. I've worn out a 25-06 or two and now it's time to get the 6.5 Rem Mag out.

I've had this closet queen for a couple of years. It's a Rem 700 6.5 Rem Mag with a 24" barrel, one of 650 or so ever made:

The 6.5 Remington Mag is a necked-down 350 Rem Mag. The 350 Rem Mag was the first short mag, a 35 caliber in a blown out 375 H&H case. The 6.5 Rem Mag the second short magnum gun, born 50 years ago, 1966. Another one of Remington's "wild ideas", the 6.5 Remington could have been a great one if it wasn't limited by the length of the magazine. The original Model 600 6.5 Rem Mags were short-action guns with 18.5" to 20" barrels. But who cares? The rifle was made for hunting deer-sized animals at medium ranges in a short-action rifle using very fast 100 or 120 grain pointed bullets. I don't think anyone at Remington was looking at the full potential of the 6.5.

What few 6.5 700s I've seen, or held, had nice wood:

Made in 1969.....you know, pressed checkering, bell bottom pants:

I have some factory ammo. 6.5 Rem Mag ammo is hard to find now and the price per box of what's out there is scary and has doubled in the last two years. Here's some old and some new ammo:

Look a those short fat bullets. Pretty cool for 1966.

I put a period Redfield scope on the old girl, an early 70s AccuTrac. The Denver USA-made scope's been in the shop for about 17 months and I just got her back:

This 3x9 Accu-Trac set-up goes out to 600 yards, long range for the day. The scope will wear an "A" turret; the range for a pointed 125 grain 6.5 bullet at 3200 fps:

The end of the stock had that old bump in it designed to hold the barrel up, keep the barrel from vibrating too much. The barrel on this one rode hard, and rubbed off to one side. My guess is didn't hold "zero" very well after a few shoots or in wet weather. I filed the barrel channel out until a piece of copy paper slides in easily and then gave the wood a couple light coats of spar varnish:

There was only one noticeable place on the action that exhibited a "bearing" spot and it was back on the tang behind the action screw. I'll leave it alone for now. The action screws were tightened to 35 in/lb, factory for a Remington wood-stock 700 (35 in/lb today. I'm hearing the rear screw was like 45 in/lb back in the 60s.)

Barrel rode hard enough to wear a 1/4"-long spot:

My plans are to first see how the gun shoots using a box of the green n yellows. Later I'll neck size them and load em up with 130 grain Accubonds, probably the max length of bullet for the gun's 1 in 9" twist and the ejection port. I may glass bed the action later.

The trigger is stock Rem 700, "conditioned" like we did in the old days and set to 2 3/4 lbs like all my other hunting rifles and slug shotguns. It's as crisp, and as safe, as any of the fancy-dancy triggers I keep buying these days....good grief.

More later. Maybe compare the 6.5 Rem Mag to the 264 Win Mag or the 6.5x284. fun stuff

Last edited by wyogoob; 04-16-2016 at 04:02 PM.
wyogoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Man that stock detailing is amazing for a factory 700. Sure don't make'em like they used to.

-DallanC
wyogoob likes this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool stuff Goob. I cut my long range teeth with a Redfield Accutrac. I even got pretty good at using the integrated ranging system back before the proliferation of laser rangefinders. ----SS
wyogoob likes this.
Springville Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

The old Redfield Accu-Trac scopes came with 4 different turrets (elevation dials), a fast "A", a "B", then "C", and the slower than heck "D".

Here's the elevation dial list tied to the ballistics of the popular calibers of the day, about 1972:

Last edited by wyogoob; 04-21-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springville Shooter View Post
Cool stuff Goob. I cut my long range teeth with a Redfield Accutrac. I even got pretty good at using the integrated ranging system back before the proliferation of laser rangefinders. ----SS
Yep me too and thanks.

The Accu-Trac isn't much different than a lot of the scopes now. But they were only as good as your "guess" when putting the deer between the horizontal lines, dialing in the 18". But you can't beat the laser rangefinders out there today. They completely changed the way, the distance of, how we shoot.

I have a number of Accu-Tracs, mostly 2x7s, cornbelt stuff.

Last edited by wyogoob; 04-16-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bjorne Lou Czar

Nifty gun Goob!
- Neat caliber.
- "one of 650 or so ever made". That's pretty cool. I wonder how many survive.
- "The 6.5 Rem Mag the second short magnum gun, born 50 years ago," You mean the short mags of late aren't the latest and greatest fad calibers? It's funny how different calibers come back around and are now highly publicized as the new whiz-bang caliber.
- You don't see checkering, whiteline spacing or forend caps on factory rifles much anymore. And you definitely don't see figured wood like that anymore.
- I love that scope. It reminds me of a few old Tasco scopes I had. It fits that rifle perfectly. Did they make them in 10-50x72?

Pretty cool gun Goob. It'll be interesting to see how well it shoots.
wyogoob likes this.
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bjorne Lou Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyogoob View Post
The old Redfield Accu-Trac scopes came with 4 different turrets, a fast "A", a "B", then "C", and the slower than heck "D".

Here's the turret list tied to the ballistics of the popular calibers of the day, about 1972:
I'm looking at the scale at the bottom of the reticle and I've used something similar to that. I think it was an old Russian Kalinka. Within normal hunting distances they could put you in the kill zone of a deer every time. You might be a bit high or low but you'd usually end up with a dead deer.
wyogoob likes this.
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
Nifty gun Goob!
- Neat caliber.
- "one of 650 or so ever made". That's pretty cool. I wonder how many survive.
- "The 6.5 Rem Mag the second short magnum gun, born 50 years ago," You mean the short mags of late aren't the latest and greatest fad calibers? It's funny how different calibers come back around and are now highly publicized as the new whiz-bang caliber.
- You don't see checkering, whiteline spacing or forend caps on factory rifles much anymore. And you definitely don't see figured wood like that anymore.
- I love that scope. It reminds me of a few old Tasco scopes I had. It fits that rifle perfectly. Did they make them in 10-50x72?

Pretty cool gun Goob. It'll be interesting to see how well it shoots.
Thanks, Chuck.

They made a 4x12 power in the late 70s. Red fox were up to $90 then, more than a day's pay, so high power magnification scopes were popular for awhile.

I'm going to try to make an honest 500-yard rifle out of it. The range, and the period, fits me.

Dime-sized groups? I doubt it. There are hurdles...case capacity maybe.... barrel twist, a huge barrel jump, the short ejection port and short magazine will limit the use of long skinny projectiles. Uh...poor eyesight.

shortbreath54 likes this.

Last edited by wyogoob; 04-17-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
I'm looking at the scale at the bottom of the reticle and I've used something similar to that. I think it was an old Russian Kalinka. Within normal hunting distances they could put you in the kill zone of a deer every time. You might be a bit high or low but you'd usually end up with a dead deer.
yes

Accu-Trac and Accu-Range scopes have the old standard rangefinder lines 18" apart. Dial the lines in on the top and bottom of the deer and then read the yardage. Dial turret to yardage. Hope the deer stands still during all of this. Hold dead on, close eyes, pull trigger.

Last edited by wyogoob; 04-16-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I should note that not all rifles will shoot better with a free-floated barrel. Barrel pressure points on a stock are put there for a reason, especially on light contour hunting barrels like this one.

This pressure point was not pushing the barrel straight up, it was off to one side so I removed it. If I don't like the way it shoots I'll temporarily shim it and see if it groups better.

Riding off center and riding too hard:

Last edited by wyogoob; 04-17-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.