Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Crossbows Illegal?

6K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  jahan 
#1 ·
Why are they illegal in utah?

#5 ·
The only mention of "crossbow" in the proc is on page 8 indicating that the disabled may use them and on page 42 about how it is not legal to use as archery equipment. However, I am under the same understanding that they may not be used during any hunt either except for the disabled exception for archery.

#11 ·
flyfisher117 said:
because they shoot very fast and hit very hard so the poor people using bows have to compete with you
Uuuum, this statement is FALSE. They don't hit hard because there is no mass in front of all that speed. They shoot a little knitting needle of a projectile that looses extreme amounts of momentum going down range because of it's lack of mass. Therefore crossbows actually have less effective killing range than a compound or even a traditional bow. They are fast, and accurate. That's all! They are LOUD, they are heavy, and they require that you walk around with a ****ed, loaded bow where you're NOT the one holding the weight of the bow back. (this is what our state has a problem with as far as legality) If they were legal, and I'm glad they're not, I think they would be lumped in with the muzzy people as far as a season goes.

#12 ·
We have a crossbow here in the office that shoots a 425 grain bolt at dang near 400 FPS- whats not fast and hard about that? I might also add that it is very -very - accurate!

I personally cant stand the things- loud- noisy- & heavy- but if Utah ever has a season for them I will probably own one.

#13 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
flyfisher117 said:
because they shoot very fast and hit very hard so the poor people using bows have to compete with you
Uuuum, this statement is FALSE. They don't hit hard because there is no mass in front of all that speed. They shoot a little knitting needle of a projectile that looses extreme amounts of momentum going down range because of it's lack of mass. Therefore crossbows actually have less effective killing range than a compound or even a traditional bow. They are fast, and accurate. That's all! They are LOUD, they are heavy, and they require that you walk around with a ****ed, loaded bow where you're NOT the one holding the weight of the bow back. (this is what our state has a problem with as far as legality) If they were legal, and I'm glad they're not, I think they would be lumped in with the muzzy people as far as a season goes.
Bingo! They are far less effective than a compound bow. Less energy and you are very limited on distance as they lose energy very fast for the very reasons Tex pointed out.

#14 ·
bwhntr said:
TEX-O-BOB said:
flyfisher117 said:
Bingo! They are far less effective than a compound bow. Less energy and you are very limited on distance as they lose energy very fast for the very reasons Tex pointed out.
Can someone please explain how they lose energy/momentum fast? Last I checked energy AND momentum are conserved. The difference in energy loss (its actually energy transfer to vibrations, heat, etc) between an arrow and a crossbow bolt are negligible. I would dare say that they lose energy at exactly the same rate.

I am with TEX, they are not allowed because of this
they require that you walk around with a ****ed, loaded bow where you're NOT the one holding the weight of the bow back.
Well and the fact that they are just plain ****.

#15 ·
Can someone please explain how they lose energy/momentum fast? Last I checked energy AND momentum are conserved. The difference in energy loss (its actually energy transfer to vibrations, heat, etc) between an arrow and a crossbow bolt are negligible. I would dare say that they lose energy at exactly the same rate.
I knew I'd get Mr. scientist math genius out sooner or later...

So Mr Genius, Your saying a crossbow bolt that weighs 300 grains will retain just as much energy as an arrow that weighs 580 grains 50 yards down range? Have you been into the glue again! *\-\* And who said anything about vibration and heat? What the hell does that have to do with anything?

#16 ·
I'm no scientist or math genius but my uncle shoots a crossbow and kills deer and elk both without a problem. The draw weights on crossbows are up over 200 lbs. Do any normal archers have their bows cranked that heavy? Didn't think so. That's why the modern crossbow is as effective as other bows. Of course our compounds would murder crossbows if things were equal at 80 lbs. of draw, but that's not the way it works. My uncle's bow is superbly accurate. He punches bullseyes with absolute consistency.

#17 ·
Just when I thought you started to like me Tex. What can I say, I am a sucker for physics and mechanics.
First off you never answered this question:
MEEN said:
Can someone please explain how they lose energy/momentum fast?
Which was a direct response to these two:
TEX-O-BOB said:
They shoot a little knitting needle of a projectile that looses extreme amounts of momentum going down range because of it's lack of mass.
bwhntr said:
Less energy and you are very limited on distance as they lose energy very fast for the very reasons Tex pointed out.
That is complete BS without any glue needed. Which is what I pointed out with this statement:
MEEN said:
Last I checked energy AND momentum are conserved. The difference in energy loss (its actually energy transfer to vibrations, heat, etc) between an arrow and a crossbow bolt are negligible. I would dare say that they lose energy at exactly the same rate.
TEX-O-BOB said:
Your saying a crossbow bolt that weighs 300 grains will retain just as much energy as an arrow that weighs 580 grains 50 yards down range?
I never said that. They have different energy, no doubt about it. What I will say is that they will retain energy at the same rate.
TEX-O-BOB said:
Have you been into the glue again!
No but some hippie lettuce would be nice.
TEX-O-BOB said:
And who said anything about vibration and heat? What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Everything! How do you think energy is lost from an arrow once it is shot? Energy is stored in the bow limbs and then transferred to the arrow once it is shot. Once that arrow is released from the bow it is traveling with an initial kinetic energy and initial momentum. That arrow will ALWAYS be traveling at the same KE/momentum because energy loss to heat/vibration is negligible unless it is shot uphill. At which point kinetic energy is converted to potential energy. Which by the way, your heavy arrow will lose MORE energy. PE = Mass*gravity*height

Quick summary: Energy lost in flight of arrow approximately 0! Energy lost in flight of crossbow bolt approximately 0! Which means rate of energy loss is the SAME. So a crossbow bolt absolutely does not lose energy faster than an arrow.

#20 ·
I believe the old ones had less KE but the new ones that are pushing 425 grn arrows close to 400 fps like some one else said is plenty of KE for any North American animal.

However the only guys you see totn the cross bows at the ranges look like this.
:shock:
So that is why they are banned in Utah!!

Also as far as accuracy they suck. I have watched them in Vegas a couple of times and they are lucky to hit the target butt at twenty yards. these guys are also shooting the ones that look like a tweeked out target rifle.

#21 ·
swbuckmaster said:
I believe the old ones had less KE but the new ones that are pushing 425 grn arrows close to 400 fps like some one else said is plenty of KE for any North American animal.

Also as far as accuracy they suck. I have watched them in Vegas a couple of times and they are lucky to hit the target butt at twenty yards. these guys are also shooting the ones that look like a tweeked out target rifle.
rofl where did you get this pic?

#22 ·
swbuckmaster said:

Its about time someone posted up a back shot of TEX

#23 ·
flyfisher117 said:
swbuckmaster said:

rofl where did you get this pic?
It was at a cross-rifle shoot the other day. It was in fact Tex he scored a 200 on a Vegas round and took first place. His prize wasn't so good though cause they only had two guys and one girl in the competition so all he received was a coupon good for one glass of muscle milk. Which he downed in three seconds. His front photo with his milt mustache "rolf,lol" will be on the cover of cross-rifle issue 24. :p

#26 ·
-_O-

Oh dammit you guys are funny!

Meen I really can't tell if you're trying to dazzle me with your brilliance, or baffle me with your bullsh*t. I guess with higher education a lot of both is involved.

"When I think back on all the CRAP I learned in High School, it's a wonder I can think at all"

"Although my lack of education hasn't hurt me none, I can read the writing on the wall"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.