> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 7,608
Threads: 45,436
Welcome to our newest member, CDuncombe
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Waterfowl Slam

The info is up: http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/compone...fowl-slam.html

Who's going to do it? I'm not sure I care for the $35 fee, although the funds go to a good cause.

If anyone completes the coot slam, I want to see the pics!
Clarq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

NO I'm out.
I believe this is a good opportunity for hunters to educate themselves with bird identification and learn more about ducks. While I think the program is a good idea, I also think it could have been set up differently. I don't think this is the best way to raise money for waterfowl projects. I would rather see the $35 fee disappear, and bring back the state duck stamp for $5 (or a reasonable cost). With the purchase of the stamp everyone could be entered in this same program. I think even at $5 from all hunters contributing, more money would be raised then only some hunters paying $35 the way it is currently. $5 from every waterfowler in the state would generate needed $$$$ for waterfowl and projects. Just my thoughts, maybe I'm way off base. Good luck to all those who participate.

DWR Quote:
"This year, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources is launching a new Waterfowl Slam program in partnership with multiple conservation organizations and sponsors. The Slam will help fund waterfowl related projects."

Who are the multiple conservation organizations and sponsors? List Please.....

Last edited by Fowlmouth; 09-06-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Fowlmouth is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am in!

For the diver slam, I am going to try for 2 canvasbacks, 2 redheads and 3 bluebills. That would be the ultimate diver slam imo.
Jeff Bringhurst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

So I read the slam info but still don't really get it. What is the point and how does it really work?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a prediction......

It's gonna be an epic fail!!
wyogoob likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Jeff, the way I read it it's one of each species on the list. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'm also wondering if you are required to harvest them all in one day or over the course of the season. I know the Mallard and Coot slams say one day.
Swaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaner View Post
I'm also wondering if you are required to harvest them all in one day or over the course of the season. I know the Mallard and Coot slams say one day.
I'm confused with all this as well. It really didn't make sense to me, except as you say, the coots and mallards. ???
outdoorser is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorser View Post
I'm confused with all this as well. It really didn't make sense to me, except as you say, the coots and mallards. ???
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that on the diver and puddler slams you can get the different species over the course of the season. After all, there are eight divers on the list, so it's not even legal to take them all in one day.

Quote:
So I read the slam info but still don't really get it. What is the point and how does it really work?
To me it looks like the DWR is just looking for a creative way to drum up some donations for various waterfowl projects (and curb the coot population). I may register just for the sake of donating to the cause, but I don't anticipate completing any slams (except maybe the puddler one if I happen to shoot a cinnamon teal.
Clarq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

A problem I predict is hens being shot and then pitched in the weeds because a person needs all drakes to complete the slam. Also, I predict piles of coots left in the marsh or garbage cans after the hero shots happen.

You want to get people involved in waterfowl hunting? Have a multi-state contest where ducks/geese are banded, and the bands are worth money and prizes just like they do with tagging fish. I suppose you could charge a fee to register for the contest.
Fowlmouth is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

The problem with banding ducks the way they tag fish is the ducks aren't restricted to one body of water. You could tag a duck and the next week it's in Mexico.
Swaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.