> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 8,697
Threads: 46,869
Welcome to our newest member, DFielder
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlmouth View Post
I never said I didn't like the idea, in fact it's rather creative. I just hope it was thought through all the way. I'm curious how the $35/$15 fee was decided on? It will be interesting to see how many people sign up for this. IMHO I feel more people would sign up if the fee was lower.

As far as slob hunters are concerned, you are probably right about them doing it regardless of a competition. I just think the competition allows more room for error on their part. Maybe typically they mud duck one or two coots a year, now they will do it to 25 for the sake of a band.
Maybe they just thought the number looked good... I'm sure there was some cost analysis or more thought that went into it... 35 bucks really isn't much. Iam amazed at how some people act like that amount is going to break the bank. What is that 1 1/2 boxes of shell?...

I agree with you on the coots... Who in there right mind would go for a limit?.... I have someone in mind but he is a Freak to begin with (he he he he) I can see your concern for waist but that truly boils down to a individual matter that we will never have any control over..

Last edited by stuckduck; 09-10-2013 at 06:42 PM.
stuckduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Jeff,

I must be reading this totally different than you. It seems to me that to fulfill the Puddler Slam or the Diver Slam - one should have to shoot one drake of each species throughout the season. Not a combination of divers/puddlers in one day to fulfill the slam.

Talking with my buddies they are reading it the same as me. If the DWR wants hunters to shoot "underutilized species" I should have to target each specie of duck. Not just shoot 4 mallards 2 pintails and a Gadwall....

Not picking a fight, just looking for some clarrification, and input from other hunters.

Brett

Last edited by brettb; 09-10-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: grammar
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
Jeff,

I must be reading this totally different than you. It seems to me that to fulfill the Puddler Slam or the Diver Slam - one should have to shoot one drake of each species throughout the season. Not a combination of divers/puddlers in one day to fulfill the slam.

Talking with my buddies they are reading it the same as me. If the DWR wants hunters to shoot "underutilized species" I should have to target each specie of duck. Not just shoot 4 mallards 2 pintails and a Gadwall....

Not picking a fight, just looking for some clarrification, and input from other hunters.

Brett
I agree.
Clarq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
Jeff,

Brett
Brett,

I stand corrected. I talked with Blair Stringham and he clarified this for me. The diver and puddler slams would be taking one all the species over the course of the season. The mallard and coot slam would be in a single day. You had it correct. Oh and the birds must be harvested here in Utah.
Jeff Bringhurst is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Fowlmouth;521082]A problem I predict is hens being shot and then pitched in the weeds because a person needs all drakes to complete the slam. Also, I predict piles of coots left in the marsh or garbage cans after the hero shots happen.

I agree I can see this creating alot of wasted birds.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #26 (permalink)

My take. I like that the Division is thinking outside the box and trying to raise funds that go directly to a specific project intended to improve the resource, primarily directed at waterfowl. The wasted bird topic is interesting but I honestly don't believe that it will cause an influx in stomped birds. If a person will stomp a bird in the marsh in the hopes of collecting a .05 band then I'm willing to bet the other birds end up in his trash can, uncleaned so what's the difference...really? I'll throw in my $35 scoots, not in the hopes of collecting a band but in the hopes it helps complete another project that will benefit our WMA's. Lord knows we take WAY more from the resource than we ever give back and this is a very simple way to give a little back.
Greenhead_Slayer likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Noble View Post
My take. I like that the Division is thinking outside the box and trying to raise funds that go directly to a specific project intended to improve the resource, primarily directed at waterfowl. The wasted bird topic is interesting but I honestly don't believe that it will cause an influx in stomped birds. If a person will stomp a bird in the marsh in the hopes of collecting a .05 band then I'm willing to bet the other birds end up in his trash can, uncleaned so what's the difference...really? I'll throw in my $35 scoots, not in the hopes of collecting a band but in the hopes it helps complete another project that will benefit our WMA's. Lord knows we take WAY more from the resource than we ever give back and this is a very simple way to give a little back.
Ding! Ding!! Couldn't have said it any better!! X2
king eider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Noble View Post
The wasted bird topic is interesting but I honestly don't believe that it will cause an influx in stomped birds. If a person will stomp a bird in the marsh in the hopes of collecting a .05 band then I'm willing to bet the other birds end up in his trash can, uncleaned so what's the difference...really?
The difference is that type of person might shoot 25 coots that he would have never shot just so he can have a .05 band hanging on his neck. Poule d'eau anyone?
I hope I am wrong about this, and the people that do the coot slam will be ethical and responsible. We'll see......
And for the guys that do waste birds and hunt just for the sake of killing. Stay home and play hunting games on your X Box please.
Fowlmouth is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #29 (permalink)

With the introduction of the coot slam, as well as the new rule allowing hunters to possess three limits of coots instead of one, I'm almost wondering if the coot population is reaching problematic numbers. Maybe they're eating the ducks out of house and home.

I have heard good things about coot jerky. That would probably be the way to handle 25 of the things.
Clarq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlmouth View Post
The difference is that type of person might shoot 25 coots that he would have never shot just so he can have a .05 band hanging on his neck. Poule d'eau anyone?
I hope I am wrong about this, and the people that do the coot slam will be ethical and responsible. We'll see......
And for the guys that do waste birds and hunt just for the sake of killing. Stay home and play hunting games on your X Box please.
It's the same guy that complains about a $35 fee then shoots $15-$30 worth of shells to shoot 25 birds, that he has no intentions of cleaning for a .05 band...
Agreed!?
At the end of the day it simply comes down to ethics, either you have them or you don't, plain and simple.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.