> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 7,588
Threads: 45,416
Welcome to our newest member, CHed
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Finding Chukar?

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and look forward to contributing! but i thought I would pick some brains, I am stoked for this years Chukar season however with 1 1/2 seasons under my belt I have been pretty unsuccessful I shot one bird last year! I feel like i hunted hard and explored a lot of new ground probably 15 to 20 days out last season. So my question is when you are hunting a new area what do you look for? and what do you stay away from? I know the basics steep, rocky, lots of cheatgrass and have found a couple coveys this way but are there certain area's you like to focus your efforts on? I have a 1 year old britt that would love to actually get on some birds this year! Thanks for any info you are willing to give!
brendo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's pretty easy,look up at the, find a spot that you say there is no way I'm going up there and then go there
ddhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I look for those things you metioned as well as Chukar droppings and a water source. When people mention water or guzzlers that doesn't mean the birds will be sitting right next to them. Chukars are a ton of fun to hunt, they will test you and your dogs ability every trip. I can't count the times that I have hiked to the top of a steep, nasty mountain and found nothing, only to return to the very bottom and bump a covey of birds. They are devils!
Fowlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
JWM

I usually look for areas with the characteristics you describe but before hiking up I'll sit and listen. A lot of times if they are anywhere near you'll hear them. They're calls carry pretty long distance.
utahgolf and tallbuck like this.
JWM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Check the guzzler map just to know where Chukar country is. I never find them near the guzzlers but it's more of a general area thing for scouting New places. I usually wait until it snows, easy to see sign and catch them on south facing areas. But it can take a couple years to figure out even a small area on what exactly the birds like to do and where they wanna be. Keep at it, I had Chukar fever a few years ago but beating myself up on death marches in the duck marsh is much more relaxing than chukar hunting.
utahgolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! sounds like i just need to put some more miles on the boots! I do know the location of quite a few guzzler's and was planning on starting this season on the steepest nastiest hills in the general area of them. Yeah i have chukar fever pretty bad I am even considering skipping out on a day of my muzzy deer hunt for opening day of the devil birds!!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Early season birds are fun, but I hate snakes so I will let it get cold before I head out. Good luck!
FlightRisk and tallbuck like this.
Fowlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do you have a dog? You're behind the eight-ball if you don't.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

He says in the first post he has a britt--not technically a dog, definitely behind the eight-ball, better take up couch sittin instead. Only weenies hunt around guzzlers.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Talking

Tex I do have a dog but im still behind the eight ball she is my first bird dog and we are both learning a lot!! I knew the Britt comments were going to come at some point bring em on! when I said general area of the guzzlers I meant general area the places I have been looking to start are about a mile away! I have never hunted around them before but this year Im going 100% weenie!
Thunderhead likes this.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.