> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 8,688
Threads: 46,852
Welcome to our newest member, f16jack
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #31 (permalink)

Deer,
I applaud your passion for sure. I really do.
But instead of bitching and moaning on here, which does absolutely nothing.
Set a meeting with the upland game coordinator. Tell him your concerns and desires, have him explain why pheasants are doing poorly. Why quail are doing well.
Then if you do have land suitable for pheasants go to the NRCS And have them help you manage your land to provide pheasant habitat.
Get ahold of the local government trapper. See what he can do for you.

I get so sick and tired of us as sportsmen complaining but never acting. - by no means is that directed at you deer but if we want to change anything the **** internet certainty isn't the place.
mtnrunner260 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #32 (permalink)

I don't know where this thread came from again, but the internet can be a good source to get the word heard. I and others I know have emailed the DWR Upland Game coordinator several times about the issue, all they have is excuses no answers. Its all a doomsday story when you try to see what can be done with pheasants. We may not be able to hold tons of pheasants but we do have viable habitat in nearly every county in the state to boast pheasant numbers better than they do now.
#1DEER 1-I is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #33 (permalink)

October 24th pheasants forever is having a banquet. Go there and I'm sure those people would be happy to help you.
pelican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrat View Post
I personally hit the pheasants hard every year. I find a few roosters here an there.. There is enough prime country for it but I dont think the dwr gives a hoot to improve the pheasant hunting. We have so many slews with prime pheasant habitat its unreal. Ask them to trap the coons and fox in the off season and they say no. So what gives??
Sorry but we have zero opportunity to improve pheasant hunting. Habitat is mostly gone and what remains is fragmented and marginal.

Idaho has a great release program where residents buy tags and their Fish & Game department releases birds on public ground. I would support that change.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

Dukes, there is useable habitat all over the state, not in Utah or salt lake county no. And no you can't expect Utah to be South Dakota, but we still have useable habitat, both private and state owned that could be used to improve pheasant opportunities in the state, some BLM land could even be improved to help pheasnts, IMO, but the DWR is not willing to give pheasants the opportunity. There is places in Utah that could boast pheasant populations, it just needs some help, know how, and action.
Bret likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DEER 1-I View Post
Dukes, there is useable habitat all over the state, not in Utah or salt lake county no. And no you can't expect Utah to be South Dakota, but we still have useable habitat, both private and state owned that could be used to improve pheasant opportunities in the state, some BLM land could even be improved to help pheasnts, IMO, but the DWR is not willing to give pheasants the opportunity. There is places in Utah that could boast pheasant populations, it just needs some help, know how, and action.
Where? Delta? Uinta Basin? What beyond funding predator control do you expect the DWR to do? Where land remains farming practices and crops have changed for economic reasons.

Rather than poor money down a hole spend it on guzzlers for chukars and huns.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #37 (permalink)

Sevier, Piute, Wayne, Emery, Beaver, Sanpete, Millard, Garifeld counties. WMA's. Work on predators, optimise WMA's, obtain land for habitat in the state (not only for pheasant but all kinds of wildlife). There is land and area's untouched in all these counties and Utah that could be made into good pheasant habitat. The DWR could work with pheasants forever, and other wildlife groups, the BLM to improve stands of areas, seed areas to better benefit pheasants. No habitat isn't everywhere but their is still habitat, and areas that could become useable habitat for pheasants. It's great to see quail, chukar, and huns doing better, and I hope it continues, but pheasants have a place.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #38 (permalink)

And just so I'm clear, there is not habitat everywhere, but their is areas with potential for habitat for pheasants.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DEER 1-I View Post
Sevier, Piute, Wayne, Emery, Beaver, Sanpete, Millard, Garifeld counties. WMA's. Work on predators, optimise WMA's, obtain land for habitat in the state (not only for pheasant but all kinds of wildlife). There is land and area's untouched in all these counties and Utah that could be made into good pheasant habitat. The DWR could work with pheasants forever, and other wildlife groups, the BLM to improve stands of areas, seed areas to better benefit pheasants. No habitat isn't everywhere but their is still habitat, and areas that could become useable habitat for pheasants. It's great to see quail, chukar, and huns doing better, and I hope it continues, but pheasants have a place.
So where are the birds?

To increase bird numbers you need to plant food and cover. Develop water sources. Kill the critters. We would need to do this on thousands of acres.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #40 (permalink)

Years ago, when I raised pheasants. I had a supplier show me the difference between Heritage breed "Chinese ringneck pheasants", and other varieties. His assertion was that some of the breeds that were brought in, were the problem, along with excessive release programs. Many of the varieties that were brought in, were used because they were thought to be more predator resistant, and drought hardy.

Back in the '90s I saw my two favorite chukar areas ruined by pen raised birds that were brought in to "supplement" the existing birds. It has now become more common to trap and translocate "wild chukars", to establish new areas, rather than use pen raised birds, because of the harm it can do. And supplementing is fortunately frowned on by some now too.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.